PDA

View Full Version : Tennis in Hawaii, Maui likely this fall

coach
04-16-2005, 02:17 PM
My family is going to Hawaii in the fall and we are looking for accomodations, probably in Maui. We will likely need a condo (we need a kitchen to cook for a few toddlers) and some of us like tennis, others golf. We might be open to another island but I think Maui is currently our first choice. Any recommendations?

borisboris
04-16-2005, 09:41 PM
Yeah- my tennis buddy went there for 2 weeks w/ his family and they (resorts) are in dire need of sound players to play locals-guests. I played the #1 junior when Honeymooning in Kona - then some other top-notch players in Poipu-Kauai (Sheraton & Kiahuna Tennis Club). E-mail ahead -- resorts local clubs etc - tell them your skill level -- the better you are the more in demand. My buddy is a 5.0 and they offered him a minimum of 1 match a day which he accepted because he played for free. Aloha

cak
04-17-2005, 07:34 AM
We stay in Wailea (south side) and found we can get matches at the Wailea tennis center. If you are on the beginner/intermediate side you can play the social round robins they have on Tues, Thurs, and Sat. Call ahead for a reservation. There you can meet people to play with. If you are better they can match you with local players. My husband played every day we were there last Feb. I got in 4 matches in a week.

GRANITECHIEF
04-25-2005, 01:17 PM
Princeville Tennis Club, Kauai

Kaptain Karl
04-25-2005, 02:13 PM
My wife would love it if I'd take her to Maui. Keep the suggestions coming, folks. I may even break down and agree to go....

- KK

tvr
05-03-2005, 09:08 AM
I stayed there two X-Mas ago in a condo. The Wailea tennis club set me up for three matches. I was a 4.0 and the other players were 3.5 and 4.0. Gave me a little time to get away from the in-laws.

You just drop in and give your phone number where you are staying and the pro-shop will set you up. Also, you could also rent the ball machine. Could not have been any closer to where I was staying.

Tim

coachrick
05-21-2005, 05:44 AM
I'm headed there 5/26-6/2...not sure how much tennis I'll play but I'll pass on any info I pick up. Stay tuned...
(coach may be a long lost cousin but I'm not aware we are related.)

Update...just got back this weekend...we had perfect(hot) weather for the whole week(while it was raining every day in Atlanta!). Our only tennis was at the 'resort'--Papakea, in Kaanapali. Three hard courts...they had Round Robin play a couple of nights but we didn't make it. It is generally windy so if you are looking for a gentle hit-n-giggle, it's a little challenging. If you are on this(west) end of the island, check out Kaanapali and Kapalua for tennis resorts. Might have been interesting to hit on top of Haleakala(10,000 ft) but, alas, no courts there.