PDA

View Full Version : Some sense prevails... Newcombe shows Agassi 'much-needed' support

rk_sports
11-12-2009, 04:02 PM
Few excerpts from Australian tennis great John Newcombe's response..

"Just a little show of support because there are a lot of people criticising him ... and I'm not sure they have got the facts right."

"That's just stupid," he said of Safin's comments. "I think that was a bit of Marat tongue-in-cheek."

"The weaknesses revealed are not anti-tennis, they are human frailties, the story of living with that sort of pressure," he said.

"I'm 100 per cent against drugs but people who [become depressed] do some desperate things ... I've got complete sympathy.

"I didn't understand when some of the top players and former top players came out and criticised him [for taking crystal meth].
"It was not performance enhancing, in fact it was the opposite."

Link --
http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/tennis/newk-serves-up-some-love-for-agassi/2009/11/12/1257615112723.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap2

sureshs
11-12-2009, 05:06 PM
Newk is notorious as the person with George Bush when he had the drinking incident. He would certainly know of all weaknesses.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was a party animal himself.

Max G.
11-12-2009, 05:09 PM
Good words, good words.

Chadwixx
11-12-2009, 05:36 PM
Gotta give him credit for going to bat for his fellow pro. Wish agassi had the same respect.

sureshs
11-13-2009, 04:12 AM
Agassi had no problems trashing other pros like Connors and Nastase in his book, so why does he deserve any sympathy?

NamRanger
11-13-2009, 05:52 AM
Agassi had no problems trashing other pros like Connors and Nastase in his book, so why does he deserve any sympathy?

Yeah because Connors and Nastase were known for their great sportsmanship during their active days right? :rolleyes:

sureshs
11-13-2009, 06:03 AM
Yeah because Connors and Nastase were known for their great sportsmanship during their active days right? :rolleyes:

In the same way, Agassi is now known for not being clean

dropshot winner
11-13-2009, 06:04 AM
In the same way, Agassi is now known for not being clean

It's better to take Meth for a while like Agassi did than beeing a complete tool like Connors for the whole career.

sureshs
11-13-2009, 06:09 AM
At least Connors didn't lie to the ATP

NamRanger
11-13-2009, 06:10 AM
At least Connors didn't lie to the ATP

Nah he just stuck his middle finger to them the whole time.

Gorecki
11-13-2009, 06:13 AM
Sugaresh? do you take meth? is that why you are angry with agassi? you wanted the surplus?

NamRanger
11-13-2009, 06:16 AM
Sugaresh? do you take meth? is that why you are angry with agassi? you wanted the surplus?

Obviously that is the case.

Anaconda
11-13-2009, 06:26 AM

Connors was an @sshole. He deserves all the trash

Chadwixx
11-13-2009, 08:32 AM

If it were another person with the secret drug problem agassi would of hammered them in his book. Look what he did to chang and chang didnt even do anything wrong.

I dont like connnors either but you cannot compare what he did to what agassi did. Agassi broke laws and the rules of the game.

Like anaconda said, connors is an A**hole, agassi is trash.

tudwell
11-13-2009, 08:47 AM
Why does Agassi need support? He's raking in millions on his tabloid, sell-out, piece of trash book.

competition
11-13-2009, 09:00 AM
^^ that is a very simple way to look at it. he has stated many times that he hopes the book can help others and educate them. Good for Newk to say something. it is really amazing that guys like safin, and nastassi are asking him to give back money and titles when he did the drug at the lowest point in his career. as stated meth isn't going to help agassi play better tennis. can you imagine all the drugs that were being taken during his day of playing? Weed, coke, acid, ect...there was no testing back then.

Chadwixx
11-13-2009, 10:31 AM
can you imagine all the drugs that were being taken during his day of playing? Weed, coke, acid, ect...there was no testing back then.

Why are you trying to slander other players so agassi looks better?

Agassi did it, those guys didnt. Stop bringing everyone down to ***assi's level so he no longer appears like a piece of crap.

TheFifthSet
11-13-2009, 10:33 AM
Obviously that is the case.

Sureshs is being facetious, as always. He's a clever troll, but a troll nonetheless. Taking him seriously really isn't helping. He's like a more reserved, intelligent version of gj011.

competition
11-13-2009, 10:42 AM
Chadwixx- I am not trying to slander other players to make agassi look good nor am i trying to justify what agassi did. I am just pointing out that crystal meth along with other drugs like pot, coke, acid were probably used heavily in newks era and didn't enhance their performance just as meth didn't enhance agassi's performance. i think it is crazy that people are saying agassi should give back titles and money because he used meth for a year. Who are we to judge someone as remarkable as agassi and call him a piece of crap? He had a bad year in 97 so what? meth didn't help him win. i'm sure we all have done things we wish we hadn't.

rk_sports
11-13-2009, 10:46 AM
Why does Agassi need support? He's raking in millions on his tabloid, sell-out, piece of trash book.

I wonder.. Is everything revolves around just making money .. it could be to lot of people.. but is it true for ALL people?

p.s. Agassi/Graf has combined earned money over $45 mil (minus the endorsements)

competition
11-13-2009, 10:56 AM
Yeah, i don't think agassi did this for money, he is probably doing ok in that department. Kudos to him for being honest, and not sugar coating his autobiography.

sureshs
11-13-2009, 11:34 AM
I wonder.. Is everything revolves around just making money .. it could be to lot of people.. but is it true for ALL people?

p.s. Agassi/Graf has combined earned money over $45 mil (minus the endorsements)

Doesn't matter. His publishers want to make money and it will be in his contract to help publicize the book.

GasquetGOAT
11-13-2009, 11:55 AM
Sureshs is being facetious, as always. He's a clever troll, but a troll nonetheless. Taking him seriously really isn't helping. He's like a more reserved, intelligent version of gj011.

"Intelligent" and "gj011" should not appear in the same sentence!

Sureshs is a smart version of all *********s (nadal freak, truth...)

endbegin
11-13-2009, 02:32 PM
I agree completely with the OP ... some sense has prevailed. Newcombe hits the nail on the head.

I am glad that Agassi wrote a real autobiography, It is real because it is about the highs and the lows of the life of an elite tennis player. And most of all, he has dealt with all the subjects with brutal honesty.

endbegin
11-13-2009, 02:32 PM
I agree completely with the OP ... some sense has prevailed. Newcombe hits the nail on the head.

I am glad that Agassi wrote a real autobiography, It is real because it is about the highs and the lows of the life of an elite tennis player. And most of all, he has dealt with all the subjects with brutal honesty.

CCNM
11-13-2009, 04:39 PM
I'm glad somebody's saying positive things about this-despite its ugliness. It seems to me that many famous people have a dark past-did alcohol/drugs, grew up dirt poor, was physically/emotionally/sexually abused, etc. I usually stay away from this section at the bookstore.

toddrobert38
11-14-2009, 10:08 AM
I'm glad somebody's saying positive things about this-despite its ugliness. It seems to me that many famous people have a dark past-did alcohol/drugs, grew up dirt poor, was physically/emotionally/sexually abused, etc. I usually stay away from this section at the bookstore.

I second that.

It's not about the lack of understanding some people have shown, it's about Andre's shining example after being through a grusome ordeal. He now paves the way for greater communication to people with a problem. In many ways, what he is doing is the greatest service of all.

Got that MArtina???

1970CRBase
11-14-2009, 01:51 PM
Andre asked for compassion after his revealing this bad episode in his past. He's shown compassion to many less privileged kids - he fully deserves compassion.

sureshs
11-14-2009, 02:06 PM
I second that.

It's not about the lack of understanding some people have shown, it's about Andre's shining example after being through a grusome ordeal. He now paves the way for greater communication to people with a problem. In many ways, what he is doing is the greatest service of all.

Got that MArtina???

WADA is debating if he can be punished now. It will be an uphill struggle to fine him or penalize him at that point.

I bet that if he is penalized, he will fight tooth and nail thru his lawyers. Let us see if he is such a shining example then. He is already making a big deal in his interviews saying he took performance-"inhibiting" drugs. Looks like he is already running scared.

I predict all his compassion and love will disappear if he is actually held accountable for his actions. Easy to be a good guy when you have nothing to lose. So far it has been one-sided with Andre having the best of many worlds - opening up his life, selling books, poking fun at the ATP, and not being accountable for anything. Let us see if it changes.

Chadwixx
11-14-2009, 02:12 PM
Agassi fans make williams fans look smart :(