PDA

View Full Version : Gasquet's forehand.

Messarger
11-12-2009, 06:19 PM
Hi everyone.

What is wrong with Gasquet's forehand that makes it such a liability to him? I dont think it has anything to do with his footwork and timing given his awesome backhand. So why is his forehand so ridiculously lousy compared to his backhand? I'm sure he'd be top 5 material if he had say Davydenko's forehand, and something like top 2 if he had Verdasco or Gonzalez forehand minus his mental issues.

Also, why isnt he doing anything to try and improve it? Look at Nadal for example. He's been steadily trying to flatten out his forehand as evident in Wimbledon'08. What about Gasquet? I never hear anyone or witness him first hand trying anything different with it.

Jonny S&V
11-12-2009, 06:24 PM
Hi everyone.

What is wrong with Gasquet's forehand that makes it such a liability to him? I dont think it has anything to do with his footwork and timing given his awesome backhand. So why is his forehand so ridiculously lousy compared to his backhand? I'm sure he'd be top 5 material if he had say Davydenko's forehand, and something like top 2 if he had Verdasco or Gonzalez forehand minus his mental issues.

Also, why isnt he doing anything to try and improve it? Look at Nadal for example. He's been steadily trying to flatten out his forehand as evident in Wimbledon'08. What about Gasquet? I never hear anyone or witness him first hand trying anything different with it.

I honestly don't think that his forehand is that horrible, but not to sound closed-minded, his grip does play a big part in why it lands short. He pulls up on it way too much so that he can get topspin on the ball with his continental-eastern grip (not trying to start the grip controversy again...) and his ball ends up landing short. On a faster surface, his forehand can be a pretty big weapon (see 2007 Wimby QF vs Roddick), but his grip is exposed on the higher bouncing surfaces, but he also isn't made to pay for a short forehand as much on clay than he would on a hard court.

Gugafan
11-12-2009, 06:31 PM
Gasquet can actually flatten out his forehand quite well. It's just not a very consistent rally shot. Over the years, Gasquet forehand has become abit more loopy and because it's nowhere near as Heavy as a Nadal topspin it's easier to attack.

Along with the forehand, Gasquets movement is not great compared to many of the top players. At times he gets pushed far too deep behind the baseline, and does not have the movement of a Nadal, Djokovic, Murray or Davydenko to turn defense into attack aswell.

Potentially, I still think Gasquet could be a top 10 player if he improves the areas you mention. He has excellent hands in the forecourt area, but needs to improve his approach play to get to the net more often (similar to Hewitt in that sense).

sheets
11-12-2009, 06:34 PM
I've seen it live and it really isn't a weakness just not an overbearing strength. After observing it for fifteen or twenty minutes from about fifteen feet away (as well as in a match of his later) my friends and i noticed a few unusual features that make his forehand's technique look a little stranger than usual at first: he utilizes a flick take back where there is not stop go only go; his non hitting arm is kept straight until contact making is seem almost cramped; also his grip accentuates all this. The take back is may be partially responsible for his loose technique. However he does hit it well (as does any pro). He can hit it hard and defends ok off that side. He does drop it short at times but its still a very good shot, and when its on its ON.
Gasquet's biggest problem to my mind is court positioning, he gets pushed far to far behind the baseline. He has the beatiful backhand, moves reasonably well, defencs well, again particularly well off the backhand, utilizes the slice well. His first serve is decent, sevres in the 120's can get as high as 130, second serve isn't bad either though percentages dip on the first and he double faults to much at times. he's quite an adept volleyer as well, lots touch, not afraid at all, and this is helped by a pretty good transition game. heck, he's even a decent passer.

NamRanger
11-12-2009, 06:56 PM
I've seen it live and it really isn't a weakness just not an overbearing strength. After observing it for fifteen or twenty minutes from about fifteen feet away (as well as in a match of his later) my friends and i noticed a few unusual features that make his forehand's technique look a little stranger than usual at first: he utilizes a flick take back where there is not stop go only go; his non hitting arm is kept straight until contact making is seem almost cramped; also his grip accentuates all this. The take back is may be partially responsible for his loose technique. However he does hit it well (as does any pro). He can hit it hard and defends ok off that side. He does drop it short at times but its still a very good shot, and when its on its ON.
Gasquet's biggest problem to my mind is court positioning, he gets pushed far to far behind the baseline. He has the beatiful backhand, moves reasonably well, defencs well, again particularly well off the backhand, utilizes the slice well. His first serve is decent, sevres in the 120's can get as high as 130, second serve isn't bad either though percentages dip on the first and he double faults to much at times. he's quite an adept volleyer as well, lots touch, not afraid at all, and this is helped by a pretty good transition game. heck, he's even a decent passer.

Gasquet definitely has talent; he's just a huge mental case and fails at strategy.

CrackerJack
11-12-2009, 07:10 PM
I think the biggest problem with his forehand is his grip. Very difficult to take the ball on the rise consistently with that grip, as a result he gets pushed back and plays a lot of shots from deep beyond the baseline.

downdaline
11-12-2009, 11:04 PM
I think the biggest problem with his forehand is his grip. Very difficult to take the ball on the rise consistently with that grip, as a result he gets pushed back and plays a lot of shots from deep beyond the baseline.

I actually disagree with this. I think his grip is fine for hitting on the rise. It's just that he camps too far back to take advantage of a low ball and hit it on the rise. By the time he hits it, it's typically bouncing up high already.

paulorenzo
11-13-2009, 02:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk_eCLU_qnU
that's a full eastern ala federer or perhaps just an eastern like pete. i like how he hits with a straight arm.
but i could have sworn that i use to see gasquet hit with a semi western forehand for the past few years.
perhaps a switch earlier this year.