PDA

View Full Version : perfect strokes but

webbeing
11-13-2009, 12:00 PM
Hello,

Except for the serve, my strokes (bh, fh, slide, volley) are perfect when hitting the ball hanging from the ceiling, or slow ball such as those that come to me from 2.5 - 3 player. For faster ball, I can get in position (including unit turn) to hit it, but somehow keep miss time the take back and/or forward swing to hit it either way too early or too late. What's the best way to fix it? I've tried ball machine, hitting with better partner, but the improvement is oh so slowly, almost not noticeable. Many thanks!

LeeD
11-13-2009, 12:04 PM
Only way to get better at tennis is by playing tennis.
You can train all lifetime, but unless you go out and hit balls on the court against an opponent, you'll suck.
Perfect strokes mean nothing because reality doesn't give you the perfect ball to hit.
Go hit with people 5 days a week, 3 hours a day, for 3 years and you'll make a fine 3.5 player.

Vyse
11-13-2009, 12:15 PM
When you play better people, you get off rhythm. Its annoying and you question yourself but eventually, you'll get their as long you continue to play challenging people.

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
11-13-2009, 12:18 PM
if you are mistiming against real players, then you don't have perfect strokes. Don't give yourself so much credit.

The onyl way to not shank and understand the timing of your strokes is to go out and play. Get a couple of friends to play with and play at least 4 times a week. In a couple of weeks, youll see improvments.

JRstriker12
11-13-2009, 12:20 PM
Hello,

Except for the serve, my strokes (bh, fh, slide, volley) are perfect when hitting the ball hanging from the ceiling, or slow ball such as those that come to me from 2.5 - 3 player. For faster ball, I can get in position (including unit turn) to hit it, but somehow keep miss time the take back and/or forward swing to hit it either way too early or too late. What's the best way to fix it? I've tried ball machine, hitting with better partner, but the improvement is oh so slowly, almost not noticeable. Many thanks!

The first thing to admit is that your strokes aren't even close to being perfect. Pefect strokes don't break down when the ball moves faster than a 2.5 or 3.0 can hit it. Get video taped and you'll see what your strokes really look like and I bet they are far from being perfect.

How can you have pefect strokes when you only hit perfectly against a stationary ball (hanging from the ceiling - really, what's the point of this???) or hit a paceless ball?

Odds are that if your a miss timing a ball with pace, that you are late on the swing, out of postion, or you have stopped moving your feet can can't make those small adjustment steps before hitting. Only fixes are to work on your footwork and get into position earlier so you can set up and to just hit more balls that are hit at you with pace so you can get the rythm down.

Getting good at tennis takes lots of practice and progress can be slow at times. Keep at it. Maybe take some lessons with a pro that can tell you what you are doing wrong and fix it.

mtommer
11-13-2009, 12:20 PM
Hello,

Your strokes aren't perfect, they're effective for the time being. I don't mean this in a derogatory way, I really don't. It's just that part of a good stroke means good timing. When pushed, you don't have that timing and alas you fall apart performance wise. As others said, all you can do is keep playing more challenging people and hopefully your ball pick-up timing will adjust.

goran_ace
11-13-2009, 12:44 PM
1) anyone can hit a stationary or fed ball well. learning how to play when you have to move to the ball is what you need to work on. forget about the hanging ball or even a ball machine. you need to rally with a person and hit live balls to work on rhythm, timing, and movement

2) there is more to tennis than your strokes. tennis is competition. tennis is strategy. tennis is outthinking our opponent. there's more to Roger Federer than a forehand, and there's a reason why Marat Safin, who was extremlely talented and one o the best ball strikers ever, won't be remembered as being one of the greatest players of all time.

[osu]ilovecows
11-13-2009, 01:32 PM
lol, a 2.5-3.0 with perfect strokes. wow, i'm not even sure the best pros can say that. stay classy, TW.

Claudius
11-13-2009, 01:36 PM
You can train all lifetime, but unless you go out and hit balls on the court against an opponent, you'll suck.
Perfect strokes mean nothing because reality doesn't give you the perfect ball to hit.
Go hit with people 5 days a week, 3 hours a day, for 3 years and you'll make a fine 3.5 player.

It doesn't take that long to be a 3.5 player.

webbeing
11-13-2009, 02:10 PM
Thanks guys, I actually being sarcastic with myself, since I did write that the strokes were perfect only when I hit a stationary or very slow ball. All the elements (unit turn, low to high, leg push, upper-body/shoulder rotate, etc) are there, except most of the time the contact were either late or early. Guess I'll need to hit another 20K times.

Best,

user92626
11-13-2009, 03:05 PM
U need to recite something to establish a rhythm, I think. Hit-Bounce-Hit-Recover Hit-Bounce-Hit-Recover Hit-Bounce-Hit-Recover Hit-Bounce-Hit-Recover Hit-Bounce-Hit-Recover Hit-Bounce-Hit-Recover Hit-Bounce-Hit-Recover Hit-Bounce-Hit-Recover Hit-Bounce-Hit-Recover ... :)

Blake0
11-13-2009, 07:42 PM
The bounce-hit sequence works as mentioned by above poster ^^.

Sounds like you misjudge the incoming speed of the ball...hit with a short/no backswing for a bit to get used to the timing, then slowly increase your backswing to the size of it as it is now. Hitting with no backswing requires you to get to the ball properly and set up to hit it back well.

nabrug
11-14-2009, 03:28 AM

No. It is A way. Not THE way. In fact it is the slow way.

If you get a GBA coach you will improve much faster. The nice thing is that you also have to play matches.

papa
11-14-2009, 04:38 AM
Just have to hit a lot of balls - ball machine might be ok up to a certain point but you just have to hit a lot to get things right.

Having said that the one thing that I think many, if not most new players do, is that they don't watch the ball hit the racquet. Next time you go out try two things - one watch the ball into the racquet and second, keep both hand on the same side until the bounce. You might be amazed at what happens.

naylor
11-14-2009, 09:55 AM
Just have to hit a lot of balls - ball machine might be ok up to a certain point but you just have to hit a lot to get things right... the one thing that ... many... players do, is that they don't watch the ball hit the racquet. Next time you go out try two things - one watch the ball into the racquet and second, keep both hand on the same side until the bounce. You might be amazed at what happens.

Absolutely spot on. Every time I notice my forehand is gone slightly off, I get the ball machine out and set it up so I play deep cross-court forehands.

The first thing I work on is on the unit turn, ensuring my left arm leaves the throat of the racket but stays on my right side parallel to the baseline, so that when I turn for the forward swing my shoulders stay on plane and actually slow down when they get square to the net (when the shoulder turn brings the left arm to point ahead at the incoming ball), to enable the shoulder and racket arm to fire through.

The second thing I work on is on watching the ball. I know I tend to track it as part of my overall broad vision of the court in front of me, so at the point it starts to drop to bounce on my side I switch from that vision to just focus on the ball, through the bounce and through contact, and only return to broad vision when it's gone back over the net. The result is a much cleaner contact, and a very tight, deep placement pattern at the other end (makes the balls easy to pick, for a repeat!).

I probably work for 4 hours (over 3 or 4 sessions) on the above each time, around and in addition to my normal playing schedule for that week. At the end of it, it feels like a have a new forehand!