PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Rule Question??

tennisboy777
11-13-2009, 03:35 PM
I was playing a tournament today and was up 3 love in the 2nd set (i won the first set 7-5). It was my serve in the 4th game and I was up 40-0 in the game and when i served he hit a shot out and i proceeded to toss him 2 balls. In the 5th game i broke him for a 5-0 lead.. well thats what I thought until he put 4-1 in the scoreboard. He said that he called a shot out in the 4th game and when I gave him 2 balls he said that he thought he won the set.. what do i do?? (yes i called the score every point)

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
11-13-2009, 03:37 PM
you should have said no because if he didn't call it out or raise a finger, there's no way you could've known. In this case, you should've gotten an official

papa
11-13-2009, 04:02 PM
This really isn't a rules question.

Your up a set and leading the second 5-0 but he thinks its 4-1 in the second. How does he think he won a set?

user92626
11-13-2009, 04:12 PM
This really isn't a rules question.

Your up a set and leading the second 5-0 but he thinks its 4-1 in the second. How does he think he won a set?

They probably used something like this on the scoreboard

Player A 7 4 40
Player B 5 0 0

and then somehow nobody remembered who Player B was ...or wanted to be him anymore!

prattle128
11-13-2009, 04:59 PM
If you're up 5-0 in a set, and then all of a sudden, he thinks that he's won the set in just one game, then something is seriously messed up. Like others said, not a problem with rules, but people being insane.

dbusiness
11-13-2009, 05:36 PM
I believe "The Code" says that if you call the score incorrectly
and the opponent hears this and doesn't correct it due to an
error on his part that you go by the score called or played in
good faith.

If you disputed the call and he was sure the ball was out the point
would have been his.

JavierLW
11-13-2009, 06:16 PM
I was playing a tournament today and was up 3 love in the 2nd set (i won the first set 7-5). It was my serve in the 4th game and I was up 40-0 in the game and when i served he hit a shot out and i proceeded to toss him 2 balls. In the 5th game i broke him for a 5-0 lead.. well thats what I thought until he put 4-1 in the scoreboard. He said that he called a shot out in the 4th game and when I gave him 2 balls he said that he thought he won the set.. what do i do?? (yes i called the score every point)

Do you mean that he thought he won the game? (not the set) That seems to make more sense.

(but still seems weird on his part that he thought he won a game that you thought you were 40-0 in, that's a huge difference.....)

JavierLW
11-13-2009, 06:23 PM
I believe "The Code" says that if you call the score incorrectly
and the opponent hears this and doesn't correct it due to an
error on his part that you go by the score called or played in
good faith.

If you disputed the call and he was sure the ball was out the point
would have been his.

It doesnt really say that, we just went thru that in another thread. That's a common conception that players use though.

("The Code" is on www.usta.com)

What we dont know here is if the OP's opponent actually called 1-3 or 0-4 before his service game. Maybe he didnt say anything, and the OP didnt think to ask? Would be interesting to know that....

If we believe this story though it's a pretty simple one really.

The opponent is just pulling his leg and he doesnt even have a good story to go along with it. (who cares if he thinks he won ONE point, the OP thinks that he won EVERY POINT so ONE point isnt going to change the outcome of that game.....)

I think you either just point that out and if you're lucky they will see it your way, and if not, offer to reply the last point. (and then finish out the game if need be)

Although if you cant quite recall the exact events which has happened to me before (because Im focusing on the current point, not remembering old points) then you should just concede the score as called. (you cant dispute what you dont even remember....)

papa
11-14-2009, 04:31 AM
It doesnt really say that, we just went thru that in another thread. That's a common conception that players use though.

("The Code" is on www.usta.com)

What we dont know here is if the OP's opponent actually called 1-3 or 0-4 before his service game. Maybe he didnt say anything, and the OP didnt think to ask? Would be interesting to know that....

If we believe this story though it's a pretty simple one really.

The opponent is just pulling his leg and he doesnt even have a good story to go along with it. (who cares if he thinks he won ONE point, the OP thinks that he won EVERY POINT so ONE point isnt going to change the outcome of that game.....)

I think you either just point that out and if you're lucky they will see it your way, and if not, offer to reply the last point. (and then finish out the game if need be)

Although if you cant quite recall the exact events which has happened to me before (because Im focusing on the current point, not remembering old points) then you should just concede the score as called. (you cant dispute what you dont even remember....)

Your right. Just because someone either mis-speaks doesn't automatically change the score. Some try this and it works sometimes - sad to say but it just doesn't work that way.