PDA

View Full Version : CC on the run 1hbh

lilxjohnyy
11-13-2009, 04:00 PM
I seem to have problems hitting my onehand backhands cross court when im on the run. I have no problems hitting a down the line backhand while on the run, but i can never seem to hit it cross court. Any suggestions?

autumn_leaf
11-13-2009, 06:22 PM
i find it easier to slice it crosscourt while on the run. i think it's cause to hit CC on the run you have to meet the ball earlier than down the line. so i my advice would be to run faster and/or swing faster x_X. i know...like how helpful was that lol.

btw when you attempt to hit CC do you shank it or is it turning into more of a center court or down the line shot?

[ GTR ]
11-13-2009, 07:32 PM
Prepare earlier, turn your shoulders and get your racquet back a little earlier. Meet the ball more in front.

Blake0
11-13-2009, 07:35 PM
hit more on the outside side of the ball. (the side of the ball thats further away from you.) Basically a timing issue, i assume. Get your timing as the same as when you'd hit a cc backhand not on the run by necessary means (shorten backswing, etc.)

Recon
11-13-2009, 08:39 PM
have you seen federer play? he flicks it, because you have to meet the ball earlier, so either you develop this trickshot flicking it crosscourt or you develop your speed. This game is physical now, change with it.

In D Zone
11-13-2009, 08:47 PM
Prep early (make sure your right shoulder is turned -righty) same time as you are moving forward to the ball.
Make contact with the ball early and use the shoulder turn to drive the racquet cross court. Keep your arm relax and don't rush, let intertia take care of the everything - otherwise, you will over hit.

Geezer Guy
11-13-2009, 08:50 PM
If you can, run at an angle into the court instead of parallel to the baseline. And, if you're angling away from the court, forget about it.

paulfreda
11-13-2009, 09:21 PM
If your opponent is not taking the net, another
option is to take it farther back behind the baseline
as it is coming down from the bounce.
The advantage here is you get much ..... much more time.
The disadvantage is that you have to hit it farther to get it deep.
You, of course, have to slice it.

ryangoring
11-14-2009, 02:44 AM
Use that wrist like you use you wrist when you are.................never mind.
I too have a 1HBH and on the run to hit CC, I adjust the racket a little more, instead of being eastern, go more west, so it is about a 45degree angle and whip you wrist over the ball to generate topspin. It works for me, but I'm no pro.

xFullCourtTenniSx
11-14-2009, 02:59 AM
I seem to have problems hitting my onehand backhands cross court when im on the run. I have no problems hitting a down the line backhand while on the run, but i can never seem to hit it cross court. Any suggestions?

I find it more difficult overall to get it perfectly down the line. Though in my eyes, anything farther than 3 feet from the sideline is extremely disappointing. I've also play 99% of my backhands crosscourt (working on changing that), so I have a pretty solid backhand crosscourt. I even play a backhand inside out far better than a down the line backhand.

Anyways, run quickly, catch the outside of the ball, and extend through the ball very quickly and open up your chest, get that big follow through. You might open up a bit to the net, but as long as you get clean contact it's fine. Also, try to hit the ball towards the corner. As you get better, you can exaggerate the idea of catching the outside of the ball more and aim for a wide shot.

Use a backwards diagonal if you need some more time, but this means you will have to catch the outside of the ball more extremely to get the same angle, so I'd try to keep the angle of the diagonal as accute as possible, so you don't have to do as much to produce the same angle.

If your opponent is not taking the net, another
option is to take it farther back behind the baseline
as it is coming down from the bounce.
The advantage here is you get much ..... much more time.
The disadvantage is that you have to hit it farther to get it deep.
You, of course, have to slice it.

Are you kidding me? You don't need to slice it. And it doesn't matter if your opponent is taking the net or not, you can always use a backwards diagonal, which is highly recommended if more time is required to get to the ball. But if they do come to the net, that just means your placement has to be more accurate (either thread it more accurately down the line or at a sharper angle crosscourt, which is easier with the added time you have) and you have to put more pace on the ball. If you're running in a backwards diagonal, you should hit with topspin since it will be far easier to hit with pace and height while still controling the depth of the ball. Also, using topspin will make it more difficult for your opponent to punish you on the next ball (unless you have one crazy defensive slice, which people can hit at 5.0+).

paulfreda
11-14-2009, 03:34 AM
Anyways, run quickly, catch the outside of the ball

He said he has a 1HBH.
A wide ball you have trouble reaching [which is why you are running] can only easily be hit on the outside with a 2HBH.

Use a backwards diagonal if you need some more time

That is exactly what I said. But I like your term "backward diagonal"

Are you kidding me? You don't need to slice it.

No I am not. If you are having trouble reaching it, slice is the only option on the BH side with a one hander IMO.

And it doesn't matter if your opponent is taking the net or not......But if they do come to the net, that just means your placement has to be more accurate

It doesn't matter ????
Opponent stays back ==> you can hit high over the net without worry.
Opponent comes to net ==> you must get it down to his feet or lob him

If you're running in a backwards diagonal, you should hit with topspin

Disagree again. If you can get there to hit top, you are not really on the run.

Slazenger07
11-14-2009, 11:07 AM

Yea usually when youre having trouble hitting the backhand crosscourt its because the elbow is leading in your stroke,causing you to catch the ball late, which would explain why your down the line running backhand is solid. Make sure to keep your elbow tucked in at your side as you bring the racquet back then extend the arm and racquet head towards your target like you normally would, also to hit it cross court your need to start your swing earlier so that you can hit the ball earlier and take it crosscourt. Also take a shorter swing as you are on the run and wont have as much time to swing as you would otherwise.

Just took a private lesson and worked on this exact shot, so hopefully that helps!

Ripper014
11-14-2009, 11:18 AM
If you have no problems hitting backhands cross court... you are probably just getting to the ball late, either with footwork or your stroke.

Djokovicfan4life
11-14-2009, 05:26 PM
Hit the ball earlier.

Good luck.

LuckyR
11-14-2009, 05:34 PM

I feel your pain. You have a couple of choices: either run to the point that the strike zone is relatively close to your body, then it is an easy shot. Or if it so far away that you can't, then you can't topspin it CC, you will have to hit a slice. Don't fret about the 2HBH guys saying it is easier for them, they are partially right. For the balls they can crank on, it is true, they can easily hit them CC. However because their reach is less than yours, you are getting to balls they can barely poke at, so the fact you can't hit a deep topspinning CC shot on that type of ball is OK, since they can't on those balls either.

xFullCourtTenniSx
11-14-2009, 08:20 PM
He said he has a 1HBH.
A wide ball you have trouble reaching [which is why you are running] can only easily be hit on the outside with a 2HBH.

You're crazy. A ONE HANDED BACKHAND HAS MORE REACH ON THE RUN! That's why the more athletic players can make great use of it. Also, he said he can easily hit a one handed backhand on the run down the line. This means his problem is creating angles. You don't play with a one handed backhand do you? That or you have a pretty bad one.

No I am not. If you are having trouble reaching it, slice is the only option on the BH side with a one hander IMO.

O.o So you just simply don't understand what one of the main advantages of using a one handed backhand is - ADDED REACH! Slice is NEVER the only option unless you're lunging for the ball at full stretch! And that wouldn't apply to one handers alone, that'd apply to two handers as well! In fact, it'd apply to two handers far more frequently than to one handers!

It doesn't matter ????
Opponent stays back ==> you can hit high over the net without worry.
Opponent comes to net ==> you must get it down to his feet or lob him

If you can hit a solid crosscourt backhand on the run (as well as a solid one down the line), then you can hit a solid crosscourt backhand past your opponent. Generally, when hitting passing shots, you trade pace for accuracy. You put a little less on the ball so you can more accurately place it where they can't reach it. But if you can already hit solid angles on the run, you can bomb them anyways. People can come into the net down the line into my backhand, but they'll get burned crosscourt by a flat bomb. But people who regularly play me always look for the big ones crosscourt, hence my goal to add a down the line bomb as well.

On passing shots, you have two options - beat them with pace, or beat them with placement. You can easily do one or the other on the run if you have solid mechanics. As you get better, you can do both at once!

Disagree again. If you can get there to hit top, you are not really on the run.

Really now? Guess Sampras never really owned a running forehand. Damn your dumb dumb dumb. You must be a terrible player, a terrible athlete, or simply haven't yet mastered topspin (which makes you a crappy player anyway unless you played with wood rackets all your life).

On the full run I can hit moonballs, flat bombs, topspin dippers, topspin drives, slices, and topspin lobs. Granted the flat bombs crosscourt would be my first choice in most cases, but the moonballs are great for getting back into position, which require heavy topspin. It's something Federer used to do often around 2002, especially on clay. Squash shots and lunging slice backhands are only for absolutely desperate situations! Topspin is almost always used on defense! And on defense, you're on the run!

Learn about how to play defense and the one handed backhand before you even continue talking about this subject... PLEASE

paulfreda
11-15-2009, 02:38 AM
xFTCSx

You consistently misinterpret or misunderstand what I have said and I do not have
the time to debate these points with someone who is so disrespectful.

But I am amused by your repeated retreat in to personal attacks and name calling.
My guess is you are either a youngster or someone with a very unfortunate childhood.
No doubt these habits spill over in to your professional and personal lives which therfore must be quite unsatisfying.
Character is destiny.

One comment though; What has the running FH of you and Sampras got to do with a thread about running BHs as the OP inquired about ?

Try to stay on topic, PLEASE

Slazenger07
11-16-2009, 02:46 AM
I agree with FTCS, and I dont feel there was any misinterpretation on his part... One-handed backhands give you more reach than a two-hander and for this reason the slice is NOT the only option when youre on the run. Paula, have you ever seen Rafael Nadal play? Running topspin shots are a huge part of his game and you can definetly hit with topspin on the run, that is if youre good enough.

paulfreda
11-16-2009, 02:59 AM
I agree with FTCS, and I dont feel there was any misinterpretation on his part... One-handed backhands give you more reach than a two-hander and for this reason the slice is NOT the only option when youre on the run. Paula, have you ever seen Rafael Nadal play? Running topspin shots are a huge part of his game and you can definetly hit with topspin on the run, that is if youre good enough.

Yes of course I have seen Rafa hit his BH. Who here hasn't ?
But if you watch closely, he is stationary when he hits it.
He plants his back right foot and rips it mostly flat.
That is not hitting on the run IMO.
That is what I meant about not hitting on the run for a BH.
You really cannot do it without planting your feet at some point.
Now a FH can be hit on the run ala Sampras, but the thread is not about FHs.

And, with all due respect ...........
There is no way you can know if he misinterpreted or misunderstood my response unless you know what I intended to communicate.

If you read his posts, you can see he often fills them with insults, disrespect, arrogance and name calling.

Djokovicfan4life
11-16-2009, 05:31 AM
So to summarize, you guys had a difference of opinions on what constitutes being on the run and FullCourt went into one of his babbling rants. What else is new.

FullCourt, you give some solid advice here, but please try to keep it civil.

Slazenger07
11-17-2009, 06:46 AM
Paul, Nadal's not always stationary, is any player ever always stationary when they hit a backhand, I think not. What you said is that on the run a player cannot generate topspin, and that on the stretch your only option is slice, Im simply telling you that this is not correct. I hit topspin on the run all the time, if I can do it you can be sure as hell Nadal does it. In order to do so you need early preparation, good timing, and you need to get under the ball, all of those things are very possible for good players that are on the run.

paulfreda
11-20-2009, 02:36 AM
Paul, Nadal's not always stationary, is any player ever always stationary when they hit a backhand, I think not. What you said is that on the run a player cannot generate topspin, and that on the stretch your only option is slice, Im simply telling you that this is not correct. I hit topspin on the run all the time, if I can do it you can be sure as hell Nadal does it. In order to do so you need early preparation, good timing, and you need to get under the ball, all of those things are very possible for good players that are on the run.

Maybe I am wrong.
But what I said was no one hits topspin on the BH on the run.
True they do not always slice it, thye often bunt it or slap it.
But not topspin.

Furthermore hitting BH top while your momentum is flying in to the side fence is such a low percentage option, not to mention and extroidainary athletic feat, it is foolish to try it.

Can you site someone who does ?
Or post a link to a video at youtube or some other site ?

I would be interested to see it.

Peace

jwbarrientos
11-20-2009, 06:02 AM
;4107258']Prepare earlier, turn your shoulders and get your racquet back a little earlier. Meet the ball more in front.

Yeap, +1 ... run faster, ... in some ocassions, when have no time to prepare I go with 2HBH :shock: as accurate defense, especially CC.

LeeD
11-20-2009, 12:54 PM
I often play singles with a C player who topspins 80% of his backhands CC on the run. He sets up wide based and left foot closed and swings early to top it hard to my forehand side (me lefty). Once out of 5, he goes DTL.
Doubles practice allows him to do that.