PDA

View Full Version : Played with a guy who beat Safin

crash1929
11-13-2009, 11:10 PM
Ok so it was a long time ago...he is Russian and safins age and played with him and was actually ranked higher as junior in russia.

Things I noticed: The ball gets to you very fast and you have to eliminate all non essential movement of your racquet in order to be ready to hit. He hit funky angles with pace like returning a deep bh shot wickedly short cross court. never saw that one before. also notice i was wrong footed a lot. l'm not sure why. just found myself being jammed more often than I can remember.

Also it felt like I played three hours eventhough we only hit for one.

The main lesson in not to get freaked out yes the ball comes fast and hard but when i stayed calm we actually had some decent points.

joppy
11-14-2009, 03:07 PM
When he hit the ball how high over the net does the ball usually pass?

yemenmocha
11-14-2009, 04:44 PM
Once I played a guy who beat Becker at Wimbledon. He retired and became a local pro where I used to live.

Nanshiki
11-14-2009, 04:51 PM
You mean Peter Doohan? He was apparently a tennis pro Alabama at one point...

yemenmocha
11-14-2009, 05:05 PM
You mean Peter Doohan? He was apparently a tennis pro Alabama at one point...

Yes, but in Little Rock when he was there for a brief time. It was a Men's Open tournament at Rebsamen and I lost 4 & 0 and played some of my best tennis. I had nothing to lose.

Sorry for the threadjacking.

crash1929
11-14-2009, 09:27 PM
When he hit the ball how high over the net does the ball usually pass?

he hit a rather flat hard ball, didn't really say to myself "wow' this guy hits it high over the net and really deep"

rather i found my self thinking "when this guy wants to turn it up he can crank it flat and hard...and his backhand looks just like safins!!" they must have had the same coach. he talks of safin with great respect and in a very fond manner. He has a picture of them in his bag.

this is the neat thing about this site you can come on here and be excited about meeting a interesting player like this when in real life you have to play it off like your cool. lol.

crash1929
11-14-2009, 09:29 PM
Once I played a guy who beat Becker at Wimbledon. He retired and became a local pro where I used to live.

thats awesome dude what did he hit like? what was it like?

Kick Serve 14
11-25-2009, 05:48 PM

whats it like playeing him? He seemed from what i had seen, like a really scrappy guy with no overpowering skills, but he would fight tooth and nail all the way

canuckfan
11-26-2009, 03:32 PM
Kickserve14, are you yemenmoocha? If you're not...seems like you couldn't know...

yemenmocha
11-26-2009, 04:52 PM
Sorry for my delayed reply.

He is an excellent volleyer and has one of the most buttery smooth slice backhands I've ever seen. He has a great chip return of serve. I'm a tall S&V player and played out of my mind that match which is how I managed to hold serve 4 times. He cleaned me up 6-0 in the second set to set things straight. I had a few lessons with him the previous year so he knew my game and of course I was no real competition at all. It was very, very memorable to play someone with his skills.

What it feels like? You're humiliated. Even your best stuff is turned against you, like when you think you hit a great winner and then your opponent one-ups you. I had many great serves that were returned at my shoelaces, burning with backspin.

BTW, occasionally there's his Wimbledon Classics Match from 1987 on Tennis Channel when he beat Becker.

P.S. I only have one screenname.

Kick Serve 14
11-28-2009, 11:43 AM
Kickserve14, are you yemenmoocha? If you're not...seems like you couldn't know...

um forgive me for voicing my opinion... did you see his match against becker?
if so you would know that honestly he was playing out of his mind, and becker was playing like s**t... anyother day of the week, becker would have smoked him....

ahile02
12-16-2009, 09:02 PM
Yes, but in Little Rock when he was there for a brief time. It was a Men's Open tournament at Rebsamen and I lost 4 & 0 and played some of my best tennis. I had nothing to lose.

Sorry for the threadjacking.

Yea Peter Doohan lives around this area in Arkansas. His son is also a pretty good player, he's in my age group but we haven't gotten the chance to play each other yet.