PDA

View Full Version : i just got CRUSHED by a 60 year-old!!!

aphex
11-14-2009, 09:42 AM
i just got crushed 6-1 by a guy whose picture they should have next to the
word pusher in the dictionary...each game lasted like 10 minutes, but i always
ended up losing in the end...he convinced me once and for all, that results
is the only thing that matters---therefore, the 60 year old pusher is- at this point in time -a better player than me:cry::cry:

it's this guy:

As an athlete, Kosmas was always competitive, winning the 60 meter dash as a 12 year old in Athens. He first played tennis in Miami at age 22 and actually hated it, but his competitive spirit forced him to continue and eventually excel. He played tennis competitively and was ranked in the Top 20 "35 year old division" and the Top 10 "45 year old division" in the State of New Jersey. When he moved back to Greece, he took the country hostage, being the top ranked tennis player in the "55 year old division" in all of Greece.

His game is quite unorthodox, utilizing his speed, conditioning and intense study of the game to defeat opponents that appear to be of much better quality. Taking the macho image of always slugging away, he patiently utilizes lobs, drop shots and well placed balls into play until he wears his opponent out. The "Miami Beach bag" is a personal joke between us, as I asked him why he didn't carry his tennis equipment in a more fashionable manner. I told him he came onto the court looking like one of the old ladies that I had seen while growing up in Miami Beach.

http://banderasnews.com/profiles/kosmas-mamadopoulos.htm

GuyClinch
11-14-2009, 09:48 AM
He looks like he is in good shape for 60.

aphex
11-14-2009, 10:05 AM
He looks like he is in good shape for 60.

he's in insane shape...he runs 10km every morning+plays tennis about 4hrs/day...

Mick
11-14-2009, 10:23 AM
i don't know how old you are but you are at a big disadvantage because your opponent has been playing tennis for 38 years :)

samster
11-14-2009, 10:38 AM
I have been beaten in the past by 60 y/o-plus players whose main strength is consistency. They win because they make their opponent self-destruct. I don't know your level but at my level, consistency is my main problem.

Steady Eddy
11-14-2009, 10:39 AM
Bobby Riggs beat Margaret Court something like 6-1, 6-2 using lobs, spins, and drop shots. Do you think you're better than Margaret Court was? This guy is probably in better shape than most guys way younger than him. He'll chase everything down, put every ball he gets to in play. Who could beat him? Only someone with alot of power and accuracy.

But this sentence doesn't make sense to me, "Taking the macho image of always slugging away, he patiently utilizes lobs, drop shots and well placed balls into play until he wears his opponent out." How is using lobs and drop shots taking the macho image? Sounds like the opposite to me. Do you think the writer meant to say, "taking away the macho image..."?

samster
11-14-2009, 10:46 AM
Bobby Riggs beat Margaret Court something like 6-1, 6-2 using lobs, spins, and drop shots. Do you think you're better than Margaret Court was? This guy is probably in better shape than most guys way younger than him. He'll chase everything down, put every ball he gets to in play. Who could beat him? Only someone with alot of power and accuracy.

Agree with above.

Kick_It
11-14-2009, 11:20 AM
Ya gotta make the old dudes play the game on your terms. In doing so force them to really cover the court.

If you let anyone, particularly the wise and crafty ones, dictate how you play, 90%+ of the time - it's only a matter of time before you lose.

A couple years ago I played a 58 year old former pro circuit player on red clay in Spain; I don't play much on clay at all and had hit on red clay perhaps 4 times before that. I started out well and went up 4-1. Perhaps I felt a bit bad moving him around much and took my pedal off the gas for a couple points - huge mistake! Next thing I knew I lost that set 4-6. Not my finest mental moment -I'm not immune to it either ;-(

K_I

samster
11-14-2009, 11:29 AM
It is extremely difficult to play these older, crafty players. They make the process very painful.

The rallys are long, they give you no pace yet their placement is excellent. You find yourself constantly hitting from an awkward spot and you are running all over the court to do so. You try to hit a little harder but the ball just keeps coming back. And this is when you beat yourself by getting frustrated and trying to end the points quicker.

It is just not that enjoyable; at the end, when you do beat them...you are like, so what...I just beat someone twice my age! For me, it feels like a lose-lose situation.

samster
11-14-2009, 11:35 AM
That being said, when I do play this type of opponent, I do try to make it as painful as possible for them as well. I do not hesitate to drop shot when they are camping at the baseline anticipating me to tee-off on a midcourt sitter. And when they do get to the drop shot, I don't hesitate to lob them or crank a big one right at them.

I also try to move them side to side. I try not to hit flat but more of a loopy topspin ball to pull them wide or to keep them at the baseline. And the goal for me is to elicit that midcourt sitter so I can hit an approach shot or a nasty drop shot. I either try to keep the ball very low or very high, trying to wear down their back like they are doing to me.

I throw them everything I've got when I play these older, crafty players. Lastly, patience is key and I pack couple gallons of Gatorade anticipating to be out there for 5 hours to play 2 sets of tennis.

Topaz
11-14-2009, 11:41 AM
i don't know how old you are but you are at a big disadvantage because your opponent has been playing tennis for 38 years :)

So true! I think we often forget how big an advantage experience can be! Especially when coupled with consistency.

aphex
11-14-2009, 11:48 AM

i'm 30...thanks for the emotional support:):)

Ya gotta make the old dudes play the game on your terms. In doing so force them to really cover the court.

If you let anyone, particularly the wise and crafty ones, dictate how you play, 90%+ of the time - it's only a matter of time before you lose.

A couple years ago I played a 58 year old former pro circuit player on red clay in Spain; I don't play much on clay at all and had hit on red clay perhaps 4 times before that. I started out well and went up 4-1. Perhaps I felt a bit bad moving him around much and took my pedal off the gas for a couple points - huge mistake! Next thing I knew I lost that set 4-6. Not my finest mental moment -I'm not immune to it either ;-(

K_I

yep, forgot to add it was very slow red clay, so going for winners all the time would've made me lose even worse...

It is extremely difficult to play these older, crafty players. They make the process very painful.

The rallys are long, they give you no pace yet their placement is excellent. You find yourself constantly hitting from an awkward spot and you are running all over the court to do so. You try to hit a little harder but the ball just keeps coming back. And this is when you beat yourself by getting frustrated and trying to end the points quicker.

It is just not that enjoyable; at the end, when you do beat them...you are like, so what...I just beat someone twice my age! For me, it feels like a lose-lose situation.

indeed it is...but as i see it, you need to be b!tchslapped a few times
if you're serious about improving your game---including to a large part
the mental aspect...

aphex
11-14-2009, 11:51 AM
That being said, when I do play this type of opponent, I do try to make it as painful as possible for them as well. I do not hesitate to drop shot when they are camping at the baseline anticipating me to tee-off on a midcourt sitter. And when they do get to the drop shot, I don't hesitate to lob them or crank a big one right at them.

I also try to move them side to side. I try not to hit flat but more of a loopy topspin ball to pull them wide or to keep them at the baseline. And the goal for me is to elicit that midcourt sitter so I can hit an approach shot or a nasty drop shot. I either try to keep the ball very low or very high, trying to wear down their back like they are doing to me.

I throw them everything I've got when I play these older, crafty players. Lastly, patience is key and I pack couple gallons of Gatorade anticipating to be out there for 5 hours to play 2 sets of tennis.

that's a bit problematic when the guy's in better shape than you...
seriously this guy is a phenomenon-he simply does not tire...

samster
11-14-2009, 11:53 AM
that's a bit problematic when the guy's in better shape than you...
seriously this guy is a phenomenon-he simply does not tire...

I am glad to hear that he lives in your neighborhood and not mine. :)

VaBeachTennis
11-14-2009, 02:40 PM
is the only thing that matters---therefore, the 60 year old pusher is- at this point in time -a better player than me:cry::cry:

it's this guy:

As an athlete, Kosmas was always competitive, winning the 60 meter dash as a 12 year old in Athens. He first played tennis in Miami at age 22 and actually hated it, but his competitive spirit forced him to continue and eventually excel. He played tennis competitively and was ranked in the Top 20 "35 year old division" and the Top 10 "45 year old division" in the State of New Jersey. When he moved back to Greece, he took the country hostage, being the top ranked tennis player in the "55 year old division" in all of Greece.

His game is quite unorthodox, utilizing his speed, conditioning and intense study of the game to defeat opponents that appear to be of much better quality. Taking the macho image of always slugging away, he patiently utilizes lobs, drop shots and well placed balls into play until he wears his opponent out. The "Miami Beach bag" is a personal joke between us, as I asked him why he didn't carry his tennis equipment in a more fashionable manner. I told him he came onto the court looking like one of the old ladies that I had seen while growing up in Miami Beach.

I think that you should be honored to play such a guy. His story is very inspirational and he looks GREAT for 60!!! Hopefully I can be in the same shape as he is at that age. Thanks for making such an inspirational thread for some of us geezers here. ;)

VaBeachTennis
11-14-2009, 03:01 PM

I play with one of those old SOB's (65yrs) who plays tournaments nationally and is pretty high ranked. To me it's an honor to play against him and occasionally win or lose. The guy is in great shape and I get a harder workout playing him than I do against guys half my age. ;)
He's a pretty slick player and has seen many more balls and styles than I have. He beats a lot of his peers and others by wearing down similar to the way the guy does in the OP. When i make him run, he's hardly out of breath and when he does get out of breath he will stall a little and regroup. He's extremely competitive and curses quietly to himself when I burn him on shots and rallies. It's pretty fun and funny, as well as inspirational.

VaBeachTennis
11-14-2009, 03:05 PM

I try to throw the old guy I play off with higher loopy topspin shots occasionally, but he quite often eats them up with one of those high flat forehands that have a little backspin and good pace to them and they skid when they hit the ground. It makes me feel like I'm playing my Dad all over again.

papa
11-14-2009, 03:13 PM
Too often many of us get compared to your parents or maybe others in the community that spend more time at buffet lines than the courts. Don't put us all in the same bucket - we know what were doing out there.

GuyClinch
11-15-2009, 12:38 AM
I am not sure the guy is phenom. I know a 50 year old guy who is in better shape then most 30 year olds. No doubt the guy deserves props for taking care of himself though. I wish I could convince my dad to do that.. I think there are some older players that can beat anyone under 4.5..

Pete

Bud
11-15-2009, 02:39 AM

it's this guy:

What would you estimate your NTRP at?

What was the final score?

halalula1234
11-15-2009, 03:46 AM
wow he looks 40!

aphex
11-15-2009, 05:13 AM
What would you estimate your NTRP at?

What was the final score?

it was 6-1. my ntrp? no idea since it's based on actual results...

my only actual experience with ntrp, was when i played an american expat
here in greece who was a 5.0 in new york. i lost 6-3, 6-3...

what would you say his ntrp is, considering he was top 20 in over 35s and top 10 in over 45s in new jersey??

alidisperanza
11-15-2009, 08:28 AM
I think VAbeach put it best. It sounds like quite a priveledge to play with someone like this (albeit a frustrating one). Clearly this gentleman loves the game and has a deep background in it. I'd say there's a lot to learn from him!

aphex
11-15-2009, 09:12 AM
I think VAbeach put it best. It sounds like quite a priveledge to play with someone like this (albeit a frustrating one). Clearly this gentleman loves the game and has a deep background in it. I'd say there's a lot to learn from him!

i concur 100%...

crash1929
11-15-2009, 11:51 AM
60 is not that old. He does not look like an 'old man'.

i've seen a guy that looks like an 'old man' beat 5.0 player in his 20's. You guessed it...push/slice and dice. i think the guy used to be a pro.

Fedace
11-15-2009, 12:02 PM
he's in insane shape...he runs 10km every morning+plays tennis about 4hrs/day...

What level are you Aphex ? even though he is a pusher, he could be rated very high if he has done so well in his age division. He could be USTA 4.5 or even 5.0. It really doesn't matter what his stroks look like. If he can keep the ball deep and place it where he wants to, that is all that matters. and also i assume he can handle the power shots and heavy topspin shots too. so if he can handle what his opponents dish out and get the ball in play,,, that is all that matters.

I really get Annoyed when someone rates some player based on what their strokes look like... that is so dumb..:evil:

alidisperanza
11-15-2009, 07:40 PM
Fed,

I think that's the most intelligent and relevant post I've ever seen from you. Well put!

aphex
11-16-2009, 12:26 AM
What level are you Aphex ? even though he is a pusher, he could be rated very high if he has done so well in his age division. He could be USTA 4.5 or even 5.0. It really doesn't matter what his stroks look like. If he can keep the ball deep and place it where he wants to, that is all that matters. and also i assume he can handle the power shots and heavy topspin shots too. so if he can handle what his opponents dish out and get the ball in play,,, that is all that matters.

I really get Annoyed when someone rates some player based on what their strokes look like... that is so dumb..:evil:

apparently he was no.1 in greece in over 55s...

also, check post 22 for my level......

Bud
11-16-2009, 02:26 AM
it was 6-1. my ntrp? no idea since it's based on actual results...

my only actual experience with ntrp, was when i played an american expat
here in greece who was a 5.0 in new york. i lost 6-3, 6-3...

what would you say his ntrp is, considering he was top 20 in over 35s and top 10 in over 45s in new jersey??

Sounds like 5.0-5.5 range.

Fedace
11-16-2009, 04:37 PM
Sounds like 5.0-5.5 range.

Yes, Santoro of 5.5 division..... that is what i think...