PDA

View Full Version : Is Getting Into the High School That Hard?

Roy125
11-14-2009, 05:12 PM
I'm getting extremely paranoid of not getting into my high school tennis team. My coach (30 years experience) has said that I am consistent with my game. I have a solid first flat serve, but my toss for my kick serve is still inconsistent.:confused: I have an excellent drop shot though, but my slices are floaty 50% of the time.

Plus, I live in California where it's always sunny and I'm worried that there is going to be more competition in my school. I'm also worried that there is just a varsity tennis team in my school, no jv or freshmen teams. Does this mean that the coach is highly critical or does this mean that there just isn't enough people trying out. I'm also worried that the coach will show favoritism towards those that were on the team last year and ignore new people that are trying out.

So am I just being paranoid, or is it true that there is going to be a lot more competition in California and that it's a bad sign that there's just a varsity team in my school?:confused::confused:

advantagetennis1
11-14-2009, 05:15 PM
are you from socal? if so what hs? i can tell you if there team is strong or not. im also from socal.

Roy125
11-14-2009, 05:19 PM
Yes, I'm from there, Patrick henry high school is the name.

sheets
11-14-2009, 05:21 PM
Not to sound like a guru or anything, but it will be a lot harder without confidence and belief, which in turn inspire tenacity, which in turn wins matches. Not that i'm saying be overconfident, everything in moderation, but a never say die attitude is certainly beneficial i think.

LuckyR
11-14-2009, 05:29 PM
Well, PHHS seems like a strong school at the top, but you are more concerned with the depth, not the height.

Roy125
11-14-2009, 05:31 PM
Well, PHHS seems like a strong school at the top, but you are more concerned with the depth, not the height.

I'm assuming that you played them before? How would you rate the players, 3.5's? Please?

LuckyR
11-14-2009, 05:59 PM
I'm assuming that you played them before? How would you rate the players, 3.5's? Please?

Well, they made it to the second round of the playoffs last year losing to Torrey Pines (the eventual finals loser in a tiebreak) 15-3. That means their best are good enough to compete with the best (I think the #1 player was ranked #31 in the 16s in 2008), but their depth isn't top notch, but likely pretty good.

Roy125
11-14-2009, 06:06 PM
Well, they made it to the second round of the playoffs last year losing to Torrey Pines (the eventual finals loser in a tiebreak) 15-3. That means their best are good enough to compete with the best (I think the #1 player was ranked #31 in the 16s in 2008), but their depth isn't top notch, but likely pretty good.

Yeah, I did hear that their number 1 player was really good. But I don't think they played Torrey Pines last year based on this calendar unless I'm reading it wrongly. http://henry.sandi.net/athletics/sport.php?id=36

GuyClinch
11-14-2009, 06:30 PM
It depends entirely on the school. Just try out and see if you make it. No offense but speculating about it on a message board won't make a difference one way or another..

Off The Wall
11-14-2009, 07:00 PM
They probably don't cut anybody.

On the other hand, once you're on varsity, you get to play at a club (Lake Murray). They have pros there who can accelerate your learning.

Slzr.Matias
11-14-2009, 09:28 PM
you probably wont make the varsity team for a while...your other thread is asking some pretty obvious questions suggesting that you are a new player. If the varsity teams where you live are anything like at Greenwich, you wont make it in your high school experience.

SuperDuy
11-14-2009, 10:13 PM
You guys are lucky to have tennis in hs, where I live a city of 700 000 we have no high school tennis teams. My school has 6 courts but no team :(

LuckyR
11-14-2009, 10:38 PM
Yeah, I did hear that their number 1 player was really good. But I don't think they played Torrey Pines last year based on this calendar unless I'm reading it wrongly. http://henry.sandi.net/athletics/sport.php?id=36

Your link was to the regular season, I'm talking the Playoffs.

prattle128
11-14-2009, 11:22 PM
You guys are lucky to have tennis in hs, where I live a city of 700 000 we have no high school tennis teams. My school has 6 courts but no team :(

Seems like a lot of courts for no tennis team to me. Well I'm sorry to hear that, but as far as I know, Canada really lags behind most countries when it comes to tennis.

dwhiteside
11-15-2009, 12:38 AM
Top CA highschool players are probably at least strong 4.0 and some may even range to 5.0+. You might be able to get a doubles spot depending on how good the other kids are. It all depends. Don't worry about it. The less pressure you play under the better you'll perform when tryouts come along.

KenC
11-15-2009, 01:08 AM
I don't know if a lot has changed since the early 80's but it's rather easy to get on the team, especially if they have a JV team, but its not guaranteed that you will play in the matches.

Roy125
11-15-2009, 09:41 AM
Your link was to the regular season, I'm talking the Playoffs.

Oh Ok then. Did you get to play last year's number one player?

SuperDuy
11-15-2009, 10:22 AM
Seems like a lot of courts for no tennis team to me. Well I'm sorry to hear that, but as far as I know, Canada really lags behind most countries when it comes to tennis.

Yeah, just I guess my school is one of the only one around with courts. But we do play Tennis in P.E which everyone is about a 2.0 player. But only me and few friends are 4.0 and play the 4.0 league.

ubermeyer
11-15-2009, 10:55 AM
It depends, some highschools have no cut varsity teams, some have 20 player JV teams on which the lowest player on the team is ranked above #1,000 in the nation (i used to go to one of those schools, and didn't come close to making the team).

so, really, it all depends.

LuckyR
11-18-2009, 12:58 PM
Oh Ok then. Did you get to play last year's number one player?

No, I don't live in SD anymore, but I have played players of that calibre (#25 - 50 in SoCal 16s)

ilikephobo
12-29-2009, 11:21 AM
this year we are only losing 2 players that left the school.

and there are 4 very good juniors joining the team. i believe
3 of them are freshmen so they might have top priority because Coach wants to get new kids to train them all the way up to senior year.

i would say from last year's team, you have a chance of beating out 1 or 2 of the lower rookies.

good luck

also depending on how many courts we have available to use will determine how many players will be accepted.
last year we had 13 players on 4 courts.

when you tryout you will play 1 set against whoever you are assigned to play.

W Cats
12-29-2009, 02:34 PM
Don't worry too much about the possibility of the coach being critical and thus 1 varsity team, it doesn't sound likely if as another poster brought up that the team didn't have much depth last year. It could just be that the administration was only willing to fund one coaching position.