PDA

View Full Version : Cody's Serve - Advice Needed

Cody
11-14-2009, 05:46 PM
Hey Guys,

Been working on my serve for the last month and it is still horrid. :cry:

This is my latest video: http://www.vimeo.com/7618075

I finding it hard to break the habit of the waiters hand racket position that bungalow bill pointed out to me.

I messed around with a pinpoint stance where i start in platform and the go pinpoint, i can't stop doing it.

PS: If your wondaring were my second serve into the video went, it was a massive shank that travelled 2 courts.

Cody, :)

Any criticism welcome :)

tennis_pr0
11-14-2009, 07:21 PM
I want you to pause your video when you're in the trophy position Cody. Notice that your shoulders are almost lined up with each other. You need to get your hitting elbow locked back more in the trophy position, basically it needs to be dropped a bit more.

When a player is in a good trophy pose, his hitting shoulder is dropped significantly below his other shoulder which will allow an upwards thrust when transferring weight into the ball. When you are hitting the ball, you are using too much arm and not enough upwards thrust. Try lowering the elbow more in the trophy position and use your upward thrust in unison with your swing to get maximum racquet head speed.

Now I just want to say other than that, I think the serve is great. I remember watching your previous videos and I am impressed by your improvement.

Cody
11-14-2009, 07:50 PM
Thanks,

I'll try to employ that into my serve as soon as possible.

Geezer Guy
11-14-2009, 08:03 PM
Those serves looked pretty good to me. Were they going in? (It's hard to tell from the video.)

Rambler124
11-14-2009, 08:05 PM
Hey Guys,

I finding it hard to break the habit of the waiters hand racket position that bungalow bill pointed out to me.

I messed around with a pinpoint stance where i start in platform and the go pinpoint, i can't stop doing it.

PS: If your wondaring were my second serve into the video went, it was a massive shank that travelled 2 courts.

Waiter's hand racket position. I'm assuming thats the small hitch just after your trophy pose yes? Where the strings face almost straight up prior to the racket drop?

Is this correct?

Cody
11-14-2009, 08:48 PM
Those serves looked pretty good to me. Were they going in? (It's hard to tell from the video.)

Yeh, they all when in except for one which hit the net and the massive shank.

So tennis pro

This is my trophy pose

http://i36.tinypic.com/j7exqp.jpg

If i was to draw a line between my shoulder they should be more vertical and my racket should be lower down my body.

tennis_pr0
11-14-2009, 08:59 PM
In this picture your trophy pose is good, I saw different in a few of the other serves. Your trophy pose is fine...I was just pointing out one thing that might give you access to some more power.

Cody
11-14-2009, 09:11 PM
Waiter's hand racket position. I'm assuming thats the small hitch just after your trophy pose yes? Where the strings face almost straight up prior to the racket drop?

Is this correct?

Yeh, thats correct

Did you notice me doing this?

SuperDuy
11-14-2009, 10:06 PM
Cody's serve has improved alot. Cody'sserve has gotten better flow, and Cody has a better serve motion. What I like about Cody's serve is that they are very parrel with the basline. Allows them for a good slice. :) :) :)

SuperDuy
11-14-2009, 10:09 PM
I notice Cody's serves have a bit of kick to them, high bounce, good work CODY!

Cody
11-14-2009, 10:15 PM
I notice your serves have a bit of kick to them, high bounce, good work.

There meant to be my flat serves but the kick comes naturally, i didn't really notice them going that high?

Still my serve needs alot of work.

Double faulting is the bane of my existence.

Rambler124
11-15-2009, 09:25 AM
Your trophy looks solid man. I agree that your shoulders could align a bit different (having the toss arm shoulder up a bit more.

Honestly the only thing I see that I really don't like is that hitch just after the trophy pose. It seems like it takes you a bit to really get some acceleration going. Feels slow to me and I think that waiter's position is stil slightly there after the trophy pose.

I honestly would suggest working on a solid throwing motion from the trophy pose. Have an old racket? Use that. If not throw balls into the service box several times from the trophy position and then pick up the racket and try and do the exact same.

I went back and watched your old vids too on the serve. Solid improvement man. Looking real good!

SuperDuy
11-15-2009, 10:28 AM
Well, atleast you have a good flowing motion. Unlike my Robotic Motion. Maaan I need to start over. I will take video again of my serve once I have new motion.

Cody
11-15-2009, 10:46 AM
Your trophy looks solid man. I agree that your shoulders could align a bit different (having the toss arm shoulder up a bit more.

Honestly the only thing I see that I really don't like is that hitch just after the trophy pose. It seems like it takes you a bit to really get some acceleration going. Feels slow to me and I think that waiter's position is stil slightly there after the trophy pose.

I honestly would suggest working on a solid throwing motion from the trophy pose. Have an old racket? Use that. If not throw balls into the service box several times from the trophy position and then pick up the racket and try and do the exact same.

I went back and watched your old vids too on the serve. Solid improvement man. Looking real good!

Thanks,

So when should i be accelerating ?

Well, atleast you have a good flowing motion. Unlike my Robotic Motion. Maaan I need to start over. I will take video again of my serve once I have new motion.

It will be worth it in the long run, my second serve is what annoys me as i try to hit it too slow which ends up with double faults....

ubermeyer
11-15-2009, 11:02 AM
Is this your 1st serve? If so, hit flat.

If not, it's a good 2nd serve, just keep on practicing so you can get the consistency at or near 100%

Cody
11-15-2009, 11:05 AM
Is this your 1st serve? If so, hit flat.

If not, it's a good 2nd serve, just keep on practicing so you can get the consistency at or near 100%

The first serve in the vid is my first serve the rest are others, i don't really have a second serve at the moments that i can get in all the time. :(

SuperDuy
11-15-2009, 12:22 PM
Remember on your second serve you want to swing faster at your arm moves into the ball. Dont slow it down for second serves.

gzhpcu
11-16-2009, 04:13 AM
Thanks,

So when should i be accelerating ?

You should be accelerating just prior to hitting the ball. Think of a whip...

Cody
11-16-2009, 10:29 AM
I just saw you post Bungalow Bill and if you wouldn't mind, this is the serve video i promised.

So i you have any advice, please share.

Thanks Cody

Bungalo Bill
11-16-2009, 10:52 AM
Hey Guys,

Cody,

I almost want to say you are too relaxed on your serve. Maybe nonchlant is the word I am looking for.

The purpose for your knee bend is to speed up your arm eventually in your swing. Everything needs to be geard to really accelerate your arm forward and outward in the court. I dont know if it is your toss, but you need to get your body going up and more forward and send that arm flinging forward for some pace.

Watch the Federer serves on youtube and the other post I gave you should be reread. It seems your "waiter" thing has gotten better. Keep working on that continuous motion.

Cody
11-16-2009, 10:58 AM
Cody,

I almost want to say you are too relaxed on your serve. Maybe nonchlant is the word I am looking for.

The purpose for your knee bend is to speed up your arm eventually in your swing. Everything needs to be geard to really accelerate your arm forward and outward in the court. I dont know if it is your toss, but you need to get your body going up and more forward and send that arm flinging forward for some pace.

Watch the Federer serves on youtube and the other post I gave you should be reread. It seems your "waiter" thing has gotten better. Keep working on that continuous motion.

Is that permission to swing faster and try harder :twisted:

I do have a more flat serve when i really toss out infront instead of above my head and kind of throw myself into the ball, i'll work on that more.

So i should change my motion except for more weight transfer forwards and up into the ball.

Cody

zettabyte
11-16-2009, 12:06 PM
Where are your eyes at contact?

In the video it looks like you might be looking down a little quick. I've found focusing on the contact point helpful in improving my serve. As a practice technique, try keeping your eyes at contact until you hear the ball hit the fence.

Also, I try to separate practicing technique and "game" serves. Meaning when I practice technique it's about ingraining mechanics, and when I practice game serves it's about 'getting serves in', forgetting about mechanics (if they're ingrained you'll be doing them anyway).

I've found a good game serve drill is to serve a set, going for no double faults and a 6-0 score. Any double fault is a loss of that game. It provides a semblance of game pressure, especially at 5-0, 30-love second serve.

When I first started practicing that I couldn't win a set. :-)

Bungalo Bill
11-16-2009, 12:25 PM
Is that permission to swing faster and try harder :twisted:

I do have a more flat serve when i really toss out infront instead of above my head and kind of throw myself into the ball, i'll work on that more.

So i should change my motion except for more weight transfer forwards and up into the ball.

Cody

When I first learned how to serve, we worked on the racquet path and the spin we were after. We hit a lot of loopy balls working on the swing path and the toss position needed to hit whatever type of serve we were working on. We did incorporate our legs in a more relaxed "springy" way to get the feel of the upward thrust needed and the fluidity/momuntum needed to hit the ball. So, bascially, as we were practicing our spin, we were also feeling our upward momuntum moving in a very easy going loose way.

What we then worked on was adding punch and arm speed to our serve. The motion was performed much quicker and working on the fundamentals was important as well. We didn't want to be quicker but lose the necessary fundamentals of the serve.

We practiced folding the non-dominant arm back into the body. We practiced springing upward and outward from the balls of our feet. We practiced the necessary toss so we could time our upward and outward motion to meet the ball with our arm full extended.

It wasn't easy at first and we definetly had things to work on, however, our coach always stressed to move through the motion of the serve as powerful, as relaxed, with a continuous motion as best we can.

And it is like anything, the more you practice the better it gets and the light bulb goes off and you not only understand conceptually but you understand in your being how to do it.

Watch Roddick and Federer.

Rambler124
11-16-2009, 06:02 PM
Perhaps work on throwing the ball over the net? Go into a trophy pose with a ball in your dominant hand and launch the ball over the net several times. Pick up the stick and try the same. I think that could help some with the acceleration.

Using the bend in the legs won't necessarily equate to more power if its not transferred throught the kinetic chain to the rest of your body. What I honestly see is that you get a nice base (loaded legs) and then somewhere around the trophy phase you lose it. Perhaps their is too much pause at that trophy position and you then lose that momentum before your actual swing into the ball.

Just thinking out loud here...

Cody
11-16-2009, 07:35 PM
Perhaps work on throwing the ball over the net? Go into a trophy pose with a ball in your dominant hand and launch the ball over the net several times. Pick up the stick and try the same. I think that could help some with the acceleration.

Using the bend in the legs won't necessarily equate to more power if its not transferred throught the kinetic chain to the rest of your body. What I honestly see is that you get a nice base (loaded legs) and then somewhere around the trophy phase you lose it. Perhaps their is too much pause at that trophy position and you then lose that momentum before your actual swing into the ball.

Just thinking out loud here...

Yes, that sounds good.

The key word here is momentum, how can i generate it and keep it during the motion and then transfer into impact.

With the knee bend maybe i can delay it so it occurs later during the trophy pose or speed up the trophy pose hitch.