PDA

View Full Version : Matchplay vid, any technical tips?

georgeadey1
11-15-2009, 12:19 PM
Hi

Just uploaded some highlights from a match today, just wondering if anyone had some tips for groundstrokes or serve. I am going to upload a separate serving vid shortly. Also any general idea on what NRTP rating i am?

many thanks

george

link is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnKvtfJ6DSM

groundbreaker
11-15-2009, 12:27 PM
In my opinion, your groundstrokes, especially your forehand, are pretty solid. I think you should probably keep your feet a bit more grounded. You've got good follow-through.

I also liked the drop shot at 0:45.

As for NTRP...i'd say 3.5-4.0, but I may be underestimating you a bit. Looked strong out there.:)

georgeadey1
11-15-2009, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the quick response. Yes a couple of times i feel as if i am leaning back on my forehand side. In matches I use 80-90% backhand slice because it is solid, but i need to improve my topspin backhand, which i shall also upload a vid of soon.

cheers for watching

Andywho
11-15-2009, 12:54 PM
In my opinion, your groundstrokes, especially your forehand, are pretty solid. I think you should probably keep your feet a bit more grounded. You've got good follow-through.

As for NTRP...i'd say 3.5-4.0, but I may be underestimating you a bit. Looked strong out there.:)
:rolleyes: Oh boy here we go again. Nice tennis and thanks for sharing. You'd be about a 2.0 in my area.

Didn't really see any offensive bh shots and the one serve you showed looked pretty timid. I'm guessing you're from a country that doesn't use ntrp rating, and if that's the case you've got no need to worry about it.

You should really include a warning with this vid to turn your speakers down.

georgeadey1
11-15-2009, 12:58 PM
yes your right! i didn't show any offence on my backhand because my topspin backhand is weak/unreliable and a shot i am working on in training. Yes I am from the Uk and because talk tennis is predominantly a US site i was just wondering, rating wise. Thanks

and im going to upload a seperate serving vid so if you could crit that it would be great

RoddickAce
11-15-2009, 01:05 PM

O.O!?!?! Wow, tough raters out there these days.

It's hard to tell ratings from short videos, but considering this is a match vid, I think the OP is closer to 4.5/5.0 than 3.5.

georgeadey1
11-15-2009, 01:13 PM
Hi
Thanks Roddickace for your input :) Here is the serve vid as promised, I am 6'3 and i think that i am not using my weight and height for full effectiveness of my serve

link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIBRaJMXOgM

thanks for responses

george

tennisguy5
11-15-2009, 03:34 PM
looks great man! keep up the good work! i agree with roddickace on the rating. 4.5 is about right. on your strokes, there isnt much to complain about exept for your backhand, keeping your feet on the ground and opening up on your forehand. staying grounded will give you more power and consistancy with your groundstrokes. learning a topspin backhand will become neccesary as you continue to get better, and will allow you to take control of your opponent easier. 99% of the time your opponent will pick up that weak backhand, and wear you out on it!

LeeD
11-15-2009, 03:41 PM
Serves.
Man, you're mechanical. And slightly askew too.
Too long takeback without stopping flowing into a forward hand position still on takeback MOVING your hand, not good. Need static second.
You don't coordinate leg with swing, or trunk twist/ab pull, so it looks all wrong and badly timed.
Maybe really watch vid of some serving PRO player and copy his right handed motion. I'd recommend Djokivic, who's got a very straightforward motion and a great serve. He's like 6'1" + some, so close in height.

jefferson
11-15-2009, 03:51 PM
I'd say 4.0 to 4.5. I have a hard time partially because you posted highlight reel of the good stuff. Not sure how good your opponent was either. WIth all that said, your forehand is a beast. Work on an offensive BH and really have room to improve your serve. You don't use your legs in your serve, well you timing is off. More back bend and trunk would help to progress your serve.

have fun

Bagumbawalla
11-15-2009, 04:03 PM
Forehand looked pretty solid, a bit short on some shots. A better opponent would have taken advantage of the short balls.

Backhand was lacking-- here, also, a good player would take advantage by hiting more to the backhand and acting on the weak response.

Overall, you seemed to ues your forehand well and protected your weaknesses. As you advance and play better players, that will not be so easy. Having said that, you move well, seem to be in shape, and have the makings of an all-court player.

You seem to know what you need to work on- so just continue to do that and you will be hard to beat.

Nellie
11-15-2009, 06:27 PM
Just by looking at your footwork, I can see that this is 4.5+ level play, particularly if this is a tournement and not practice. I bet in practice, where you don't worry about missing, you would just crush the ball.

There seems to be something off about your slice backhand - like you are bringing it back with eastern backhand and then break the wrist to compensate for a contact point that is too far back. I cannot really tell from the camera angle. Regardless, I do think that your slice backhand could be much better - it appears that your swing path is entirely vertical without any drive through the ball - so it is entirely defensive now.

I also think that in the point at about 8 seconds in the clip, you should be coming forward to the net because your opponent was in a world of trouble.

THESEXPISTOL
11-15-2009, 07:57 PM
What racquet are you using? APDC, Head Extreme or Dunlop 500?

mawashi
11-15-2009, 09:05 PM
You've got youth, natural fitness, good movements n anticipation so you're already pretty good.

My only comment is that your forehand looks somewhat awkward. In many of those shots you look like your leaning to your left when you hitting through on the right. You're also trying too hard to impart spin to your shots with the result of you leaning back when hitting n looking somewhat unbalance after finishing the shot.

That's all I can see from the vid.

mawashi

stormholloway
11-15-2009, 09:23 PM
:rolleyes: Oh boy here we go again. Nice tennis and thanks for sharing. You'd be about a 2.0 in my area.

Give me a break.

Ultra2HolyGrail
11-15-2009, 10:46 PM
Hi

Just uploaded some highlights from a match today, just wondering if anyone had some tips for groundstrokes or serve.

It looks like you need a backhand. If you want to really get good i recommend learning the two hander, looks like you just have a one handed slice. Your forehand is pretty good but needs a better more consistent follow through. Looks like you are all over the place depending on the shot. Footwork is looking good. You really need lessons from a teacher, and lot's of drills if you want to improve.

georgeadey1
11-15-2009, 11:09 PM
thanks everyone for the responses. At the moment i am using a two handed slice, but it is strange because i have one hand on top of the other much like a golf grip, but it works for me and is very consistent. Obviously i need to work on my one handed topspin. Yes looking at my serve the timing does look off. I think i have been worrying too much about ball toss placement and not about knee bend/weight transfer. Oh i am using head microgel extreme pro, but in the near future i may upgrade to youtek radical pro.

THESEXPISTOL
11-16-2009, 05:14 AM
Nice.. It's an awesome racquet. I have 3 of them.. They are pretty awesome if you string around 55-65lbs.. Effortless power spin and pace and also great stability for volleys and it's a true weapon on serve..

Please join our club of users of Head Extreme Pro and give us your experience with strings and that stuff
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=286557
Thank you

ttbrowne
11-16-2009, 06:51 AM
FH: Your last shot looked like the best FH of the video. I think because you left your non-hitting arm in place a fraction longer. Course, you had time to set up but...
I'd like to see your left arm pointing towards the wall more and staying longer on shots that you aren't rushed with.