PDA

View Full Version : Can you bring rackets on carry-on?

tennis005
11-15-2009, 03:34 PM
I have a six racket bag and was wondering if it is too big for carry-on or will it have to be checked in?

Dgpsx7
11-15-2009, 03:49 PM
i have brought two rackets without any issues. I haven't done more than that though.

Geezer Guy
11-15-2009, 05:27 PM
That's got to be one of the most asked questions ever!

(and the answer has always been yes.)

boogywhip
11-15-2009, 09:17 PM
I have a six racket bag and was wondering if it is too big for carry-on or will it have to be checked in?

when our team went to nationals, we all used our tennis bags as carry on. If the bag was really big, usually the flight attendant took them to the back of the plane, because they wouldnt fit in the storage above the seat.

BajeDuane
11-15-2009, 09:44 PM
The answer is yes.

rasajadad
11-16-2009, 08:00 AM
Definitely yes on Southwest.

GeoffB
11-16-2009, 08:51 AM
For me, the answer was yes, but it was a close call.

I flew Lufthansa from San Francisco to Frankfurt, and the woman at the check in counter told me that I would most likely not be allowed to take my racket through security. I was bummed, because I didn't have a bag big enough to fit it, so they were going to offer me bubble wrap. I headed over to security just to ask, and the first guy told me that tennis rackets weren't allowed. I saw a sign that disallowed golf clubs and baseball bats, but no mention of tennis rackets. His boss wandered over to see what was happening and told me that tennis rackets were considered OK, so I didn't have to check them.

All subsequent flights (Frankfurt to Paris and the reverse trip back to SF) were uneventful, nobody asked about the rackets again.

So... yes, they allowed it, but you never do know who you'll run into or what trouble you might have, so I'd recommend having a back-up plan.

Toons
11-16-2009, 06:11 PM
I've taken my sticks on planes for many years. 20+ years back it was never a problem. For the last few years on vacations I usually take only two in my 6up bag, but sometimes more with the kids. Pre 9-11 we regularly packed it full of racquets, clothes, wine and my laptop - we jokingly called it my purse. On a couple of very small planes, I've had a carrier ask me to check the bag - usually only after it became clear it would not fit in an overhead compartment.

I've only had one carrier require me to check my racquets (not the bag though). It was a discount charter airline (now defunct) going from Oakland, CA to HI about 4-5 years ago. I argued vehemently, based on previous experience, but the attendant would only tell me the airline was concerned that 'the strings could pop and cause an explosion in the plane'. When this amazingly ignorant excuse was confirmed by the supervisor, I could only laugh and step out of line to spend the next 20 minutes completely repacking everything. We finally got past security into the main terminal and I saw at least 10+ people openly carrying a variety of racquets and bags. I actually stopped a half dozen or so to ask about their experience, and found they were all on other airlines, including Southwest, American and United. Don't bring wine on board anymore but these are the only issues I've had . . .