PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think of this guy?

[ GTR ]
11-16-2009, 05:07 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w-RzOtqp-E&feature=rec-HM-fresh+div

Gotta say I really like his volleys..

ttbrowne
11-16-2009, 06:57 AM
Very good. Volleys good.
Interesting that he has the same type BH volley I do. Where the racket ends up with the head pointing down. I took lessons a couple weeks ago from a former Div1 #1 and he is teaching me NOT to drop the head like that. I have to admit when he does it, the ball blasts off the racket and has no bounce at the baseline at all. But it's a hard habit to break.

jazzyfunkybluesy
11-16-2009, 07:29 AM
Solid player.

LeeD
11-16-2009, 08:11 AM
Solid for sure, Courier looking forehand leads to consistency.
1HBH maybe a little less consistent, seems some spraying.
Really watches ball well, and gets into it with tougher incoming balls.
Good player.

yemenmocha
11-16-2009, 08:38 AM
Overall very good player, no doubt.

Just to say something negative/constructive - footwork looks a little lazy, and standing waaay too erect for the 1hb (too little knee bend).

I disagree with others about the volleys. There's too much swing, especially on the backhand volley. Look at the one at 2:29. When his partner hit a few harder & higher balls you see him late on the BH volley and the ball sailed. The partner had to return that volley with a volley from the baseline. He looks good if he times it right, but like the one I mentioned and many others - too much swing. I'd like to see this person in a hard hitting doubles rally with that volley motion, or in a real S&V situation with a capable hard-hitting partner.

Strokes in an artificial setting such as a warm-up rally for a video can be very, very different than in real points.

IMO only real matchplay matters for evaluating strokes. Only then do you get the context that matters.

Regardless of your ability - wouldn't you play this guy by hitting to his backhand when he's on the baseline, especially with slice? Same with the netplay, hit most shots to the backhand side.

LeeD
11-16-2009, 08:46 AM
Upon further review...
He is still a good player.
Left handed Aussie guy (Clint) volleys much better.
This guy has a JimCourier fetish.
That step with left foot on his serve will cause footfaults on critical points.

yemenmocha
11-16-2009, 08:58 AM
Upon further review...
Left handed Aussie guy (Clint) volleys much better.
This guy has a JimCourier fetish.
That step with left foot on his serve will cause footfaults on critical points.

Yes, very Courier-esque.

Also looks like he tries to "muscle" the ball, especially on volleys. Volleys shouldn't be muscled. Not relaxed. Too tense. :x

LeeD
11-16-2009, 09:01 AM
Since he tends to muscle his volleys, maybe he's VERY Courier'esh....:shock:

dozu
11-16-2009, 09:01 AM
guys at this level trying get recruite all have good strokes.

it all boils down to how mentally tough and match tough they are.... just by looking at the strokes he should be solid.

same opinion as LeeD - FH very compact, unlikely to break down..... BH maybe suspect.

Blade0324
11-19-2009, 07:03 PM
He's a pretty solid looking player. I think he could improve his game a good bit by taking the ball earlier and stepping forward on his shots more.
He tends to let the ball play him and pretty often is hitting the ball on the way down and not on the way up. He also hits off his back foot a lot of the time and that leads to the ball coming off the racquet a bit inconsistantly and high. I suspect when he gets pressured that the ball flies on him some.

Like I said, he is a good player to be sure but with some small tweaks could be even better.

tennistomcat
11-19-2009, 07:32 PM
guy looks very good. solid form. good strokes. clean, sharp, consistent volleys. Looks like he played line 6 for university of louisville 2004-2007 with ok results. wish I were at his level

Bagumbawalla
11-19-2009, 08:44 PM
Overall (as others mentioned) basically solid.

However, for a recruiting video it was very bland and kind of haphazard.

xFullCourtTenniSx
11-19-2009, 10:36 PM
I would still pick this kid over that guy. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GgBDIOv5gs

Granted there's a clear difference in athleticism, strength, and power (for now), but give it a few years, and I think we'd all pick this kid over the one guy.

35ft6
11-19-2009, 11:17 PM
Like his volleys. On the groundstrokes, his feet looked sluggish (I realize he wasn't playing points), and his form wasn't super fluid. And he's a bit out of shape. He doesn't look like he could play for a Pac-10 team but he looks pretty solid. Definitely good enough for D1. Doesn't look like a star though. Again, he looks slow and almost clumsy at the baseline.

papa
11-20-2009, 05:45 AM
Nothing wrong with the volley my friends - textbook in my opinion. Racquet has that slight downward path were looking for, position is good, contact solid and so forth. Can you nit pick - maybe?

Ground strokes are excellent. If you watch you can see both hands on the same side until the ball bounces, nice balance, good follow through, etc. Again could you nit pick, probably but this guy is a very solid player, based on the video, and he could be my doubles partner anytime.

Although I didn't see the serve, I would guess this guys plays at the top in his area/region. A lot of us might look pretty good in hitting and "maybe" not quite as good in game situations. I would be surprised however, if this guy's game is very far off and if it was, I'd attribute it to maybe not playing in a while.

If he wants to come to Florida, I think we can find a place for him quickly.

ttbrowne
11-20-2009, 07:43 AM
I hate that slo-mo crap.

papa
11-20-2009, 04:06 PM
Like his volleys. On the groundstrokes, his feet looked sluggish (I realize he wasn't playing points), and his form wasn't super fluid. And he's a bit out of shape. He doesn't look like he could play for a Pac-10 team but he looks pretty solid. Definitely good enough for D1. Doesn't look like a star though. Again, he looks slow and almost clumsy at the baseline.

Hard to evaluate some of these things in the video provided. From a mechanics standpoint, very little is wrong or need any adjustment. However, I actually know players who play better than they practice - I think its a concentration thing along with "how does he handle pressure" -- that might be the question and your not going to know unless you see results.