please see
www.uspta.org
a tip of the week

rk_sports
11-19-2009, 04:09 PM
thanks..

I thought there is only off and in balances.. didn't know abt the ideal balance

11-19-2009, 04:15 PM
I found that view on hitting situations in the vid very odd to relate to balance??
At least in the way he used it.

papa
11-20-2009, 04:32 AM
No, I think the video is good - balance is the key to playing good tennis. Unfortunately, we're starting to develop a few more terms than the average player really needs to play effectively.

Keeping balanced or getting re-balance quickly is so important. The better balanced the more consistency, the more effective the shot and fewer injuries. To me, that what its all about.

11-20-2009, 04:40 AM
I think the video is good - balance is the key to playing good tennis. Unfortunately, we're starting to develop a few more terms than the average player really needs to play effectively.

Keeping balanced or getting re-balance quickly is so important. The better balanced the more consistency, the more effective the shot and fewer injuries. To me, that what its all about.

Of course balance is key, but those shot situations he used did not require a loss of balance. All could have been hit from balance or not depending on how well you got there. No reason to assume balance would be off just because you are retreating in the court or any of the situations he used. In fact, this is a big part of what makes good players good; hitting from a balanced state, even when pushed.
While there may be a relationship to court position and balance to some extent, it is not reasonable to make such broacd assumptions that you will be off balance in certain situations; unless he is talking about balance of the court in relation to court position or something. After watching the vid again, I think he may be talking of overall balance of the whole situation, opposed to physical balance, but can't be sure.

dozu
11-20-2009, 04:56 AM
just another load of hogwash from a wonnabe coach. why the hell would anybody want to confuse a student using the term 'balance' while he is really trying to describe offensive/neutral/defensive situations.

spacediver
11-20-2009, 07:49 AM
the term balance is a pretty broadly used one to begin with. Perhaps one could analyze these three situations in terms of the center of gravity with relation to the contact point, with "low balance" meaning the lowest amount of weight is transferred to the ball.

Bungalo Bill
11-20-2009, 08:55 AM
please see
www.uspta.org (http://www.uspta.org)
a tip of the week

Hey Julian, long time no see. Hope everything is fine with you.

Sometimes we can just make things more complicated than it needs to be. This "ideal balance" should be thrown out the window.

During all strokes, your body will go through being off-balance and rebalancing to stay balanced. That is how our body works. When you walk and put out one leg, you need to get that leg down or you will fall over.

When hitting a tennis ball, a player simply needs to manage their balance with the goal being to hit more tennis balls while being in balance rathe than off balanced.

So, working on your conditioning, movement, and footwork is important to help you improve in this area.

A players atlehticism will help them hit balls when they are off balance and that needs to be trained as well! There is no way you can eliminate ever hitting a ball off balance. You will hit balls while you are off balance. You can be wrongfooted, put on the run, etc...which is why good tennis drills and conditioning is important. The goal here is to improve your tennis skills through your athleticism to be able to coordinate your body to hit a ball when you are off-balance. Of course, your goal in this is to reduce the number of off balance balls you hit through better recovery, shot selection, tactics, movement, ball recognition, etc....

The more important aspect of this if how quickly can you get back into balance and turn the table on your opponent.

This idea that you are in ideal balance when you hit a winner? Well, I can hit a winner off balance as well if other things are happening. However, when I do hit a winner like the lady showed in the "ideal balance" sequence, it simply means I had good balance and momentum in my stroke. Energy went through the ball and I was in good balance to handle my followthrough and get my hips in the shot.

Keep it simple!

xFullCourtTenniSx
11-20-2009, 08:57 AM
just another load of hogwash from a wonnabe coach. why the hell would anybody want to confuse a student using the term 'balance' while he is really trying to describe offensive/neutral/defensive situations.

Your balance essentially determines what you should do with your shot, and what your opponent should do to you.

Federer is rarely off balance, so he can almost always hit a big shot. Also, since he is almost always balanced, he can quickly and effectively recover to get ready (or chase down) the next shot with remarkable quickness. Nadal is in the same boat, who probably boasts better balance than even Federer! A key reason you can rarely pull a drop shot off on these two (especially if you're overdoing it) is because to pull off a drop shot winner, you must catch the opponent off balance unless you hit a Godly one. If you can catch your opponent off balance and put the ball in the right spot, you can hit a rather sloppy shot and still pull out a winner. Match experience allows you to recognize these situations and take full advantage of them.

thanks..

I thought there is only off and in balances.. didn't know abt the ideal balance

I'm in the same boat, though in retrospect there are times when I'm crushing the ball, and I always have "ideal balance", sitting there waiting a bit for the ball to come then unloading everything into the ball.

papa
11-20-2009, 02:55 PM
Well, we see it everyday where it seems some players total game is played off balance. They are either leaning, hitting on one foot, reaching. guessing, chasing the serve toss, and it goes on and on. Often, weight and age cause some of these problems. Good players float around the court with "relative" ease, making the game look almost effortless (think I'm going to regret saying this). Their efforts are more efficient and for the most part they are balanced - if not, as BB said, its the first order of business after the shot.

julian
11-21-2009, 05:33 AM
Well balanced approach
See a middle of
http://www.usta.com/~/media/USTA/Document%20Assets/PlayerDevelopment/CoachingEducation/2009Vol%20_10_No_3_8.ashx

It provides a definition of balance