PDA

View Full Version : My Serve Video

Tassadar
11-17-2009, 08:33 AM
Hello. Here is video of my serve practice. Any criticism, comments and tips on my technique are welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhGFClq6PzI

sureshs
11-17-2009, 08:39 AM
Are your serves going in? Couldn't tell. That would be the first step.

Slazenger07
11-17-2009, 09:13 AM
Youre falling to your left too much on every serve. Your head is leaning that way as well, thats probably why your leaning that way so much. That is probably really effecting your accuracy. Looks like you get a good knee bend and elbow bend. The problem might lie in your toss. Looks like youre trying to hit a flat serve, something that has really helped with my toss control is to release the ball later. Release it as the ball reaches forehead level, this will give you better controll over it and it may altogether correct the balance issues you are having with the serve.

LeeD
11-17-2009, 10:04 AM
You must be going thru the growing pains right now, like 15 year's old ??
You're really UNcoordinated, your prep position moving from your ear, your body disconnected with your legs, and your arms not near the rest.
It will come together when you finish growing, OR, you keep practicing.
OK, get more sideways on the pre toss. CONCENTRATE for a second before starting the motion. Pretend you're holding the ball like it's a CUP FULL OF HOT WATER! STOP!
Now start your motion with eyes glued to the target of your toss, the ball, of course. Reach way up.
Racket goes back to a catcher's position, LOWER than yours, and farther away from your head. Swing is like a solid solid solid shortstop motion, no disconnect, just forward motion.
Hope you finish growing soon. You're kinda like BAMBI right now.

Tassadar
11-17-2009, 10:21 AM
Are your serves going in? Couldn't tell. That would be the first step.
I can't see this from video too:) But as i remember there were more serves in than out.

runningmann
11-17-2009, 10:23 AM
On the serves hitting the net, you arent bending at the knees as much.

Tassadar
11-17-2009, 10:50 AM
Youre falling to your left too much on every serve. Your head is leaning that way as well, thats probably why your leaning that way so much. That is probably really effecting your accuracy. Looks like you get a good knee bend and elbow bend. The problem might lie in your toss. Looks like youre trying to hit a flat serve, something that has really helped with my toss control is to release the ball later. Release it as the ball reaches forehead level, this will give you better controll over it and it may altogether correct the balance issues you are having with the serve.
I've noticed this from the video too. I think the problem is in toss. I'll pay more attention to the toss next practice. Thanks for reply.

Tassadar
11-17-2009, 11:23 AM
You must be going thru the growing pains right now, like 15 year's old ??
You're really UNcoordinated, your prep position moving from your ear, your body disconnected with your legs, and your arms not near the rest.
It will come together when you finish growing, OR, you keep practicing.
OK, get more sideways on the pre toss. CONCENTRATE for a second before starting the motion. Pretend you're holding the ball like it's a CUP FULL OF HOT WATER! STOP!
Now start your motion with eyes glued to the target of your toss, the ball, of course. Reach way up.
Racket goes back to a catcher's position, LOWER than yours, and farther away from your head. Swing is like a solid solid solid shortstop motion, no disconnect, just forward motion.
Hope you finish growing soon. You're kinda like BAMBI right now.
I'm 24 and certanly not growing now:)
I was training with personal coach for 1 year. Before that i played for about 6-8 years 1-2 times a week and took some lessons. So maybe the cause of this uncoordination are some bad habbits.
And on the first part of the video i was a bit tired from previous exercises, so the second part is more demonstrative (and i'm a bit more coordinated in this part:)).

LeeD
11-17-2009, 11:27 AM
I actually came back and finished watching your whole vid, but decided not to post further.
First of all, I apologize for possibly offending you.
Later in the vid your motion looks much better, but still disjointed.
Possibly you need a trophy position with your movement almost stopped, but with the rackethead point straight up at the sky, not at the opponent. That gives the illusion of askewed swing.
But still seems the whole kinetic chain is askewed. I'd take a look at some pro serves, not necessarily Karlovic's, to see better motions. Ivo has a GREAT serve, but he's 6'9" and uncoordinated as an ostrich.

Tassadar
11-17-2009, 12:00 PM
I actually came back and finished watching your whole vid, but decided not to post further.
First of all, I apologize for possibly offending you.
Later in the vid your motion looks much better, but still disjointed.
Possibly you need a trophy position with your movement almost stopped, but with the rackethead point straight up at the sky, not at the opponent. That gives the illusion of askewed swing.
But still seems the whole kinetic chain is askewed. I'd take a look at some pro serves, not necessarily Karlovic's, to see better motions. Ivo has a GREAT serve, but he's 6'9" and uncoordinated as an ostrich.
No need to apologize:) I should notice that in the first post (or just cut first part from the video).
I feel that my serve motion is disjointed and hope practice will fix that:) I'll try to work on trophy position next time.
Thanks for reply.

Djokovicfan4life
11-17-2009, 12:16 PM
In your trophy pose you start out in the racquet drop or "back scratch" position as some people call it. This means that there is a hitch in your swing, meaning that you don't have a continuous motion like you should in the serve. Also, this lays back your wrist prematurely.

This is what the trophy pose should look like: http://z.about.com/d/tennis/1/5/N/E/05.jpg

As you can see, the wrist is in a neutral position with the racquet facing the sky rather than pointing towards the ground. The tossing arm also points straight up towards towards the sky.

Ken Honecker
11-18-2009, 01:02 AM
The one thing that bothered me is how you slide your left foot around during your service motion. I can't see how close to the line you are but you don't want to be foot faulting and really I don't think you want to get that much weight off your front foot during your windup.

LeeD
11-18-2009, 07:42 AM
I've always preached ... you need weight on the front foot to keep it steady to avoid twisting it inwards that causes a footfault during important points.
As the pic of DJ shows, his weight IS on his front foot (some, not all), he doesn't move the front foot, and therefore can line up near the baseline and be CONSISTENT with his serves.
Lots of pros lift the front foot (forefoot). Lots of pros footfault during stress points, but often are not called.

Tassadar
11-18-2009, 10:20 AM
Djokovicfan4life
Ken Honecker
LeeD
Thanks for comments.
I'll pay attention to front foot next serve practice.