PDA

View Full Version : Help for my Forehand

rk_sports
11-17-2009, 01:40 PM
Okay.. a video would really help .. unfortunately, I can't make one at this time!

Little background - I used to play a lot of Table Tennis/Ping Pong before I started tennis and my Forehand is heavily influenced by it - basically, it translates to hitting my forehand with almost closed face on contact (instead of it being perpendicular as I'm told) and also almost no pronation!!

now this allows me to

generate some good spin
able to hit low balls
struggle with high balls obviously
resulting in faster arm fatigue

After talking someone who has a good forehand, he suggested few things --

keeping the arm loose / grip loose until almost upto contact
aim to hit the ball with the racket perpendicular
not to worry about closing head in follow-thu as it happens automatically
almost treat the swing as sling shot

I start with the right intention and then subconsciously the old habit surfaces and I'm struggling with un-learning the old bad habit... what are some tricks to get out of this scenario? (apart from seeing a psychologist ;) )

Also, other suggestions to re-construct my forehand will be helpful..

Gracias!

tennisguy5
11-17-2009, 04:37 PM
^ why do you want to hit a flat forehand? Topspin is good. What are you having problems with? ball landing long? be a little more descriptive of what you want to change and maybe we can help.

LeeD
11-17-2009, 04:39 PM
We'd prolly need to know your grip first and foremost.
Then your desired style, whether top, flat, extreme top, slice, sidespin, or whatevers.
THEN we can start to tell you how to improve your forehand.

rk_sports
11-17-2009, 05:14 PM
^ why do you want to hit a flat forehand? Topspin is good. What are you having problems with? ball landing long? be a little more descriptive of what you want to change and maybe we can help.

I can hit flat and go into net or cant go long!
Just want to be able to hit deeper consistently

We'd prolly need to know your grip first and foremost.
Then your desired style, whether top, flat, extreme top, slice, sidespin, or whatevers.
THEN we can start to tell you how to improve your forehand.

I use a semi-western (in transition to open stance).
Not sure what is extreme top is.. I would just like to be able to hit deeper consistently.. definitely not loopy top!

LeeD
11-18-2009, 09:16 AM
Seems to me, if you want to hit deeper and you already hit with some topspin, you need to swing faster and longer stroke.
Faster you know, just arm speed.
But longer is feet thru ankles thru knees to hip and torso twist to shoulders and long followthru. Surprisingly, the kinetic chain is the key to CONTROL of the faster swing. You need it, to swing fast. Anyone can swing fast with their arms, but consistency suffers, you spray balls, and you hurt. Employing the whole kinetic chain gives you the control to swing faster IN CONTROL.
So watch or play some golf. Driver, I can arm out to 200 yards. When I employ the whole chain and hit solid, easy 290 yards. But not anything over like JohnDaly or Tiger. There ARE limits, and physical limits is one. Technique limits you can overcome.

TennisTurkey
11-23-2009, 02:55 AM
I had the same problem as you, coming from fairly high-level table tennis. When I didn't concentrate, I would close over the ball and hit it into the bottom of the net!

Two things that I found helped:

1. (You don't want to hear this!) Time. Over time, you just get used to tennis vs table tennis and your mind compensates. I can switch between the two seamlessly now after a few years of playing both.

2. Take a loop backswing. You need to get the racket further behind you, closer to the back fence. I'm guessing that your table tennis backswing goes back in a straight line, around 45 degrees down.

3. Change to a more eastern grip - Google Federer's extreme eastern grip. A table tennis player will still hit spin with this grip.

Good luck!

TennisTurkey
11-23-2009, 05:23 AM
Hmm, have to find out how to edit posts ... I meant to change my last post to "three things that I have helped".

To clarify my third point, hitting with spin comes so naturally to a table tennis player that I'm sure you could still hit with enough spin with a modified eastern grip like Federer's or even an eastern grip. However, this grip should allow you to hit through the ball more with a less closed racket face.