PDA

View Full Version : How hard to grip the handle on serve?

Funbun
11-17-2009, 04:58 PM
How hard do you hold the handle on the serve compared to, say, groundstrokes?

When I pronate (especially on kick serves), I sometimes let go of the racquet and it hits the ground in front of me really hard. Do pros tend to hold the racquet with a tighter grip in order to prevent this from happening?

I look like an absolute fool sometimes, and I just resolve with hold the racquet tighter for later serves.

Or... should I have a loose grip first, but tighten grip on contact?

I read somewhere that you were supposed to hold the handle relatively loose, but on the swing, I would literally throw my racquet.

ronalditop
11-17-2009, 05:05 PM
On serves I hold the grip higher than on groundstrokes to have a more secure grip.

Jaewonnie
11-17-2009, 05:27 PM
I always grip low. A quarter of my palm hangs off from the edge of the frame. Sounds weird but more leverage :)

myservenow
11-17-2009, 06:09 PM
On serves, I grip lower and loose. Not too loose, but definitely not too tight. I basically blew my arm out this summer serving in a match holding a death grip on my racquet. Someone here on the board advised me to loosely hold the racquet. I tried it and my tennis elbow healed and has stayed away since.

fuzz nation
11-18-2009, 07:00 AM
Most of the energy in a good serve is about cranking out decent racquet head speed to make either pace or spin on the ball. If you're using a death grip on the racquet, that tension in your arm will kill a lot of the looseness for good motion over the top. Loose is good so long as you're not air mailing your racquet.

It sounds to me like you could consider getting the flare at the base of your grip built up just a bit more. I find that a grip that's too flat down at the butt cap feels like it can launch on me too easily and that forces me to grip too hard. It could be as simple as rewrapping either your replacement grip or your overgrip with an extra turn at the bottom end. With enough of that flare at the base of the grip, I can pretty much hold the racquet with only my thumb, middle, and index fingers when I serve hard. If your grip or overgrip seems too slick for you, it might be smart to try something that's more tacky, too.

I'll also note that while I use a rather loose grip for my serves compared with most everything else, I take just a bit firmer grip for my topspin/kick serves than I do for flat and slice serves. Maybe it helps me to maintain a proper angle with my racquet face.

LeeD
11-18-2009, 07:31 AM
BUTTCAP !!
Use it or lose the racket.

Jay_The_Nomad
11-18-2009, 08:56 AM
well common sense demands that the tennis player holds the racquet tightly enough to prevent it from flying out of her hands. :)

I suppose it's all about trial and error to see what you consider 'tight' enough.