PDA

View Full Version : hit more kick on serve

RODDICK058
11-17-2009, 07:31 PM
What are the basic components of a kicker.

SuperDuy
11-17-2009, 07:37 PM
Brushing balll bottom left side, toss abit closer to you than your flat serve. Accelerate the racquet as you swing. while u toss tilt hips towards court to get the explode into ball then brush up.

Slazenger07
11-18-2009, 07:07 AM
Stand at the baseline facing the net, throw your toss so that if you let it land it would land on the baseline right in front of you. Once you release the toss, make a "T" with your arms and precede to scratch your back with the racquet, focusing on getting a deep elbow bend. Then using wrist action and an eastern backhand grip, snap up the back of the ball, exaggerate your pronation and follow through across your body, tucking your hitting arm under your arm pit with your palm facing up.

Following through across your body will help you get side spin on the serve that will make it appear to break in one direction after it bounces.

LeeD
11-18-2009, 07:18 AM
My take...
Topspin the ball HIGHER over the net, higher than 4' over the net. The swing has to be slightly upwards to hit a ball that goes 12' or so at it's peak, since your strikezone is around 9'. That high arc makes for high bounce, your goal.
Kicks normally bounce straight up or normal path like slices.
TWISTS arc sideways thru the air normally, but after bouncing, go the opposite direction.

Slazenger07
11-18-2009, 08:28 AM
My take...
Topspin the ball HIGHER over the net, higher than 4' over the net. The swing has to be slightly upwards to hit a ball that goes 12' or so at it's peak, since your strikezone is around 9'. That high arc makes for high bounce, your goal.
Kicks normally bounce straight up or normal path like slices.
TWISTS arc sideways thru the air normally, but after bouncing, go the opposite direction.

So thats the difference between twist and kick serves I always thought they were the same thing. The serve I described above is the twist serve.

LeeD
11-18-2009, 08:33 AM
For me, the twist is more advanced, and can go wrong easier under pressure, and when tired.
The basic topspin second serve, usually hit with a bit of slice, is the most consistent and easiest to hit under pressure, either mental or physical. It should be the basic second serve, with other's added as experience amounts.
The good thing about the topspin/slice serve is that it can be placed pretty well, be hit faster or slower, deeper or shorter (for wide angles), with all it's variety and variants.
Now add the kicker and twists, some flats, and you have a complete service repetoire. Go out and practice.

Slazenger07
11-18-2009, 08:54 AM
I agree that of all the spin serves, the twist is the toughest to get down, once you get it though its a safe serve because of the topspin you put on it, and its very unpredictable bounce makes it tough for returners to get a good cut at it. The end result is a reliable, nasty, second serve.

Dont forget to work on the slice serve though, I think a good slice serve is the toughest to return and it makes a very good first serve.

LeeD
11-18-2009, 09:01 AM
Maybe I'm average height and strength (for ball speed), but basically, everyone I play against can return my hard or slower sliced serves, while top players just crush it into the corners of my court.
Maybe if I sliced one out of 8 or so, it won't come back like a rocketship on steroids....
For now, I'll abandon the slice serve, which is actually the first consistent serve I learned.
I can place it well enough, problem is the lower height, around waist high, which everyone seems to enjoy pounding the fuzz out of the ball...:oops:
Flats that high I have to meter out judiciously.
Topspins generally top of chest to shoulder.
Twist about shoulder to top of head, unless I''m playing midgets or giants.

SuperDuy
11-18-2009, 01:21 PM
^ Then ZPTennis's kick serve over your head.

LeeD
11-18-2009, 02:23 PM
Talking MY kick serves. I'm 5'11" and shrinking.
Once of my friends played #1 for CalPoly a few years ago, like maybe 5, and he's 6'5" or taller. He can kick it pretty high.