PDA

View Full Version : More spin on strokes

RODDICK058
11-17-2009, 08:23 PM
how can i hit more spin on my strokes.

user92626
11-17-2009, 09:59 PM
I only know that you must brush against the ball in low-high path with extreme racket speed. The more speed the more spin.

MayDay
11-17-2009, 10:44 PM
umm,
1. take a lesson and have a pro adjust your basic mechanics.
2. try cocking your wrist (don't let it break), concentrate on pronation, swing the arm low to high, and focus on accelerating with your shoulders.
3. what a bunch of youtub videos, tape your self, compare in slow mode, adjust by doing a bunch of shadown swings in front of mirror, try out the new swing on the court.

I like option 1 the best, since it's probably the fastest way to get what you want.

11-18-2009, 06:53 AM
how can i hit more spin on my strokes.

Hit more up and across the ball for faster spin rates on TS shots. Also get the racket well below the incoming contact point.

LeeD
11-18-2009, 06:55 AM
and on slices, high to low..
and on sidespin, outside to inside swing

Slazenger07
11-18-2009, 06:58 AM
To get more topspin youve got to get your racquet head much lower than the incoming ball before you contact it then rather than hitting through the ball you need to think about brushing up the ball, and brush up really fast, you should hear the racquet strings grating against the ball, then follow through bringing the racquet up and across your body. Imo the grip you use really doesnt matter too much, anything but continental and you will be able to get heavy spin if you work at it. I use an Eastern grip on my forehand and people often tell me I hit the most topspin on that shot that any of them have ever played against. Thats the grip Id recommend because its also easy to flatten the shot out and hit with pace when you need to, something that gets difficult as you go more western, I also use two different swing patterns, which is something I think you should wait a little while to start working on, work on generating heavy topspin first and finishing across your body as is traditionally taught then you can incorporate the reverse follow through (where the racquet finishes over your head ie: Nadal) with your forehand as well. Once you see that the ball is diving down into the court and kicking up fast and high you'll know youve got it down.

The slice is a different stroke entirely, youve got to start the racquet from high to low and visualize carving through the ball, extending the racquet towards your target. This will ensure that your ball skids and stays low rather than sitting up and becoming attackable. If you just swing high to low with out extending towards your target, thats what youre gonna get, a sitter. High racquet head speed is not important here, you just want to think about keeping the racquet head up and carving through the ball. Try and think of the slice as kind of like the volley only you are swinging not punching, your racquet head needs to be up and the wrist firm, just like it would be for the volley, and initial contact with the ball should look the same. You'll need a Continental grip for this shot

These things will obviously take alot of practice but trust me, hitting with alot of spin will make you someone people hate to play against, you'll be throwing off their timing and their rhythm with your crazy spins. Exactly what you want.

Id also recommend using textured strings as these will help you get a little extra spin on your shots and make them more nasty.

Good Luck!

W Cats
11-18-2009, 08:15 AM
One of the things I tend to focus on to create more spin is to create a longer swing path for a given amount of vertical distance that the racquet head travels which will give you more head speed. I use my hitting hand for a physical cue instead of where the racquet head is. For example on a BH slice with the racquet head held at head height with the hitting hand at sternum height vs. racquet head at same height but raise the hitting hand to head height during preparation, there is a big difference in the distance of the swing path.

SuperDuy
11-18-2009, 01:25 PM
What you gotta do is take the racquet head flat and bounce the ball then hit the ball with the racquet striaght up to the sky.

fuzz nation
11-20-2009, 03:21 PM
As far as finding more topspin for your ground strokes, pay attention to your contact point. If you're letting the ball get too far back on you, it can be tougher to churn out decent topspin. If you experiment with a slightly more extreme grip on either side (nothing radical), that can make it easier to go out after the ball and keep it down on the court.

If you take a few ghost swings on each side without hitting a ball, you ought to be able to recognize how your racquet can travel more low-to-high when it's farther out in front. You may only need to advance your contact point by a couple of inches, but you obviously need to consciously take the racquet back below the ball, too.

A complete follow-through is also important. It helps for better bite and control on the ball by encouraging acceleration through contact.

papa
11-20-2009, 06:47 PM
Hit more up and across the ball for faster spin rates on TS shots. Also get the racket well below the incoming contact point.

Might sound silly but that basically it.

papa
11-20-2009, 06:52 PM
What you gotta do is take the racquet head flat and bounce the ball then hit the ball with the racquet striaght up to the sky.

Wonderful advice, just absolutely wonderful. I was just thinking this afternoon that we have most of the brain trust in Florida - guess its getting spread around.

You know your on the right side of the hill when you hear stuff like this.