PDA

View Full Version : confused about topspin serve

bravebear922
11-17-2009, 09:35 PM
Hi,everyone,I've been reading some topics here these days, and I've got a lot of useful tips. But I'm confused about something about topspin serve. I started to play tennis 6 months ago and I'm working on my serve trainning session these days. I just want to know the difference between the kick serve and twist serve? from o'clock to o'clock? Any tips is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Vyse
11-17-2009, 09:51 PM
why are you working on a kick and twist serve at 6 months in. why dont you get a great flat and 100% reliable 2nd serve first. dont even think about the others

Jonny S&V
11-17-2009, 10:06 PM
I just want to know the difference between the kick serve and twist serve? from o'clock to o'clock? Any tips is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Subtle differences that don't really matter. A kick serve toss is at about 11 o'clock and a twist serve toss is about 10 o'clock. The truth is, no one can really get a clear difference between the two, so just don't worry about it, lol...

prattle128
11-17-2009, 10:29 PM
You're welcome ;-)

http://www.fuzzyyellowballs.com/video-tennis-lessons/serve/kick-serve/

bravebear922
11-17-2009, 11:12 PM
why are you working on a kick and twist serve at 6 months in. why dont you get a great flat and 100% reliable 2nd serve first. dont even think about the others

I've played tennis for 6 months. I've been practising flat serve and i will stick to the flat serve training in order to make it better. But right now i don't have a reliable 2nd serve. maybe a slice serve or topspin serve. i'll try my best to work on the same. thanks for you advice.

bravebear922
11-17-2009, 11:13 PM
Subtle differences that don't really matter. A kick serve toss is at about 11 o'clock and a twist serve toss is about 10 o'clock. The truth is, no one can really get a clear difference between the two, so just don't worry about it, lol...

many thanks!

bravebear922
11-17-2009, 11:15 PM
You're welcome ;-)

http://www.fuzzyyellowballs.com/video-tennis-lessons/serve/kick-serve/

I cannot watch the video right now since i'm working at my office. I'll check it out when i get back home. thanks.

jmjmkim
11-17-2009, 11:26 PM
Topspin serve is "essential" since this is the serve you will rely on as your second serve. There are days when I can't get a first serve in if my life depended on it, and my second serve pulls me through.

The slice serve is okay, but still does not give you a high margin of error like the topspin serve.

I think the twist serve is a little more difficult because you are adding a little sidespin along with the topspin, just to "**** off" your opponent a little more. It is highly effective against players who have mediocre backhands, since it sort of kicks toward it. (given that two right handers are playing).

The slice serve seems to be used a lot more in doubles these days, or when you intentionally want to try pulling your opponent wide. It is pretty effective, but since it is easy to read (due to the location of the toss) your opponent pretty much predicts where you are aiming.

The kick serve is hard to learn for a beginner though. You have to have the serve motion mastered, otherwise, at first, you send the ball out of the field for a homerun because you end up hitting the side of your frame.

Good luck with your game. Remember, there will be plateaus, where you make no progress for long periods. Just wait out these difficult times, and "good times" will certainly come again.

bravebear922
11-18-2009, 02:02 AM
[QUOTE=jmjmkim;4118108]Topspin serve is "essential" since this is the serve you will rely on as your second serve. There are days when I can't get a first serve in if my life depended on it, and my second serve pulls me through....QUOTE]
thank you so much. I'll go all out to develop my reliable second serve and never give up even if there're several plateaus waiting for me.

GuyClinch
11-18-2009, 06:42 AM
For me the key is - don't turn the back shoulder too fast as you would on a regular flat or slice serve. You have to keep it back longer.

Once you can do this - for a 'regular' (and in my view easy to hit) serve with some topspin.. Just try to swing straight up the back of the ball. But to get that "kick" action that really bothers people you have to try to swing up and hit the left side of the ball.

This tip really helps - and I give Dave Smith the credit for it. On his video for tennisone he demonstrates this.. I bought his book cause of that video. Also I don't think people think about the shoulders enough. My coach really worked with me on really emphasizing the shoulder turn on slice serves and I think it adds more pop.

SystemicAnomaly
11-18-2009, 06:48 AM
I'm of the mind that it is more important to develop a spin (2nd) serve before spending too much time on a flat (1st) serve. I would say that a topspin-slice serve is probably more useful & safer than a "pure" slice serve. A topspin serve (with merely a hint of slice) is a good alternative. Whether you get this serve to "kick" or not is as not important as developing a solid/dependable 2nd serve.

Note that a twist serve is really a type of kick serve (there are 2 or 3 types of kick serves). I would not spend time developing this advanced kick serve until you've mastered more basic spin serves.

Slazenger07
11-18-2009, 07:17 AM
Ive always thought that the twist and kick serves were the same things just different names for it. Here's how I was taught to hit the twist.

Stand at the baseline facing the net, throw your toss so that if you let it land it would land on the baseline right in front of you. Once you release the toss, make a "T" with your arms and precede to scratch your back with the racquet, focusing on getting a deep elbow bend. Then using wrist action and an eastern backhand grip, snap up the back of the ball, exaggerate your pronation and follow through across your body, tucking your hitting arm under your arm pit with your palm facing up.

Following through across your body will help you get side spin on the serve that will make it appear to break in one direction after it bounces.

LeeD
11-18-2009, 08:14 AM
Again... for me.
First flat serves at 100-110, meaning not effective at my level.
Topspin first serves 70-85..notice the loss in ball speed due to spin. Toss and strike is directly over my head, but into the court somewhat. Bounce at baseline around shoulder high on good ones.
Kick serves are struck with the rackethead moving slightly upwards, so clearance is higher over the netcord than topspin serves. Speeds for me slower than topspin first serves, and bounce up around shoulder to head heights to a 6' tall opponent. Strikezone slightly behind my head, but also into the court some.
Twists are kicks that arc one direction thru the air, and upon the bounce, go the opposite direction. And example, me lefty, my twists arc in at your body and bounce away from your forehand on the duece court, into your alley. Not good for people learning tennis, it's sorta an advanced serve. Terrible for oldsters like me, hard on the back.

bravebear922
11-19-2009, 07:23 AM
thanks everybody. i'll try it out in the weekends. i'm gonna spend more time on my spin serve first.

SystemicAnomaly
11-19-2009, 11:01 AM
Ive always thought that the twist and kick serves were the same things just different names for it. Here's how I was taught to hit the twist...

Some ppl use the terms interchangeably, many do not. "Kick" is a more general term, whereas "twist" is one type of kick serve.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serve_%28tennis%29#Types_of_serve

SystemicAnomaly
11-19-2009, 02:58 PM
Some ppl use the terms interchangeably, many do not. "Kick" is a more general term, whereas "twist" is one type of kick serve.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serve_%28tennis%29#Types_of_serve

Ppl will usually refer to any serve, with a strong topspin component that kicks up, as a kick serve. The twist variation bounces to the "wrong" side -- the slice component (vertical-axis side spin) makes the ball curve left (or right) in flight while the spiral spin component causes the ball to bounce in the other direction on a twist serve.

(Note: it is not the side spin that causes this bounce deviation). A clock-wise spiral spin will cause the ball to bounce off the the right. A CCW spiral causes the ball to bounce to the left.