PDA

View Full Version : Ultrasound home unit for elbow problems?

yemenmocha
11-18-2009, 01:50 PM
Referenced in another thread on tennis & golfer's elbow, did anyone buy and use a home ultrasound unit? Are they as effective as the ones at a doctor's office (same "strength", etc.)?

mikeler
11-18-2009, 01:55 PM
Thread thief! :-) Good idea though to present it to the masses.

r2473
11-18-2009, 02:08 PM
I think Tom Cruise has one.

jhp49
11-18-2009, 03:22 PM
I posted in the other thread. I've had one for about 4 years. I sucessfully treated my TE and I am now treating my shoulder problems under the guidence of my PT. I have been undergoing PT for rotator cuff problerms and impingement for about 8 weeks. As with any modality, ultrasound doesn't work for everyone. And you must know how to do it, where to do it, how long to do it, and which settings to use. I wasn't having luck with ultrasound on my shoulder until my PT showed me how and where to perform ultrasound therapy on my shoulder. Good instructions do not come with the home devices. Consult a PT or chiropactor skilled in ultrasound therapy for assistance. If you search on youtube under ultrasound there are some videos of a doctor performing diagnostic ultrasound. The videos can help with defining where to apply ultrasound for the shoulder, elbbow, and knee. Ultrasound may help muscle and tendon problems. Do not apply directly to bone. Again, consult a professional for help. It won't help if you don't do it correctly. Here's a link on Amazon for the unit I have.
http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Portable-Ultrasonic-Ultrasound-Device/dp/B000AYAIXU/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&m=A1L9NKXDNACY0J&s=hpc&qid=1255615082&sr=1-22

86golf
11-20-2009, 03:53 AM
Referenced in another thread on tennis & golfer's elbow, did anyone buy and use a home ultrasound unit? Are they as effective as the ones at a doctor's office (same "strength", etc.)?

No, they aren't the same strength. The professional units are governed by the FDA and you have to be a doc to buy them. I've had success with the pro units (which can burn you if you don't know what you are doing) I'm considering purchasing the consumer version but I'd like more feedback. I'm a skeptic now since these consumer versions are only .5 watts/cm^2. Less than a third power of the pro units.

My PT has performed the laser treatment(light therapy), elec. stim, and ultrasound on my GE. I think I've gotten the most benefit from the ultrasound, but who knows. They do all this stuff at the same time like throwing spagetti against the wall to see which sticks.
For me, Aleve has worked great but I don't won't to take it the rest of my tennis life.

Oddly enough, I'm back where I was about 6 mos ago, in that I have no pain playing tennis, just all the time otherwise.

mikeler
11-20-2009, 04:17 AM
No, they aren't the same strength. The professional units are governed by the FDA and you have to be a doc to buy them. I've had success with the pro units (which can burn you if you don't know what you are doing) I'm considering purchasing the consumer version but I'd like more feedback. I'm a skeptic now since these consumer versions are only .5 watts/cm^2. Less than a third power of the pro units.

My PT has performed the laser treatment(light therapy), elec. stim, and ultrasound on my GE. I think I've gotten the most benefit from the ultrasound, but who knows. They do all this stuff at the same time like throwing spagetti against the wall to see which sticks.
For me, Aleve has worked great but I don't won't to take it the rest of my tennis life.

Oddly enough, I'm back where I was about 6 mos ago, in that I have no pain playing tennis, just all the time otherwise.

Interesting because my feeling is that the electrical stimulation is doing more than the ultrasound. Like you said, there is no way to tell since I'm receiving both at the same time.

jhp49
11-20-2009, 05:27 AM
Here's a site which can teach you some of the basics of ultrasound and electrotherapy. If you are using an electro muscle stem at your chiropractor, you can buy a home unit for about $90. If you are using ultrasound, the power plus the megahertz (mhz) determines the depth of penetration. A 1mhz .5 watt unit may penetrate further than a 3mhz 1 watt unit. Read the information about does calculations and penetration on the website for more info. You only need to use low on the home units (1mhz units) for tennis elbow per different PT's I've talked to. The tendons are not very deep.

http://www.electrotherapy.org/