PDA

View Full Version : Why the NTRP of some players shows different....

Oldracquet27
11-18-2009, 07:07 PM
sometimes in the roster of their team to the NTRP shown when you search for the individual player name in tennislink.

Example: This player i know, is a 3.0 as per the searching for her name in tennislink. but she is registered for a team this fall and in the roster shows 3.5. Why?

Also, what helps more to a player to get bumped levels: playing singles, tournaments, beating oponents with a big margin?

Cindysphinx
11-19-2009, 04:37 AM
I know that if you search for my name today, you'll get 3.5. But if you search for my name and find a team I played on years ago, you will see me on those rosters as 2.5 or 3.0 -- whatever I was when I was on those teams.

Maybe that's it?

fe6250
11-19-2009, 05:05 AM
sometimes in the roster of their team to the NTRP shown when you search for the individual player name in tennislink.

Example: This player i know, is a 3.0 as per the searching for her name in tennislink. but she is registered for a team this fall and in the roster shows 3.5. Why?

Also, what helps more to a player to get bumped levels: playing singles, tournaments, beating oponents with a big margin?

If you use "Find Rating" you will find their current USTA rating in the system. As Cindy correctly points out above - you will see this at the top when you search for a name, but the roster on a team will reflect the rating of the individual at the time they played on that team.

As far as why someone gets bumped... there are a lot of threads on here on this topic, but the bottom line is it is based on your performance against other rated players. The better you perform against higher rated players the more your rating will move up. My answer is an over-simplification of the system but the quality of the competition and the score are the key components of ones rating.

kendall22
11-19-2009, 05:21 AM
Roster ratings reflect Early Start status for the next year. The Find A Rating one uses a database that is apparently not updated as quickly.

amarone
11-19-2009, 06:16 AM

The 3.0 rating is probably her 2008 year-end rating, but could be a self-rate if she started USTA after last November. There are two ways she can be 3.5 but not reflected in TennisLink:

- she got DQed from 3.0. She would know this, though, as she would have been sent a letter informing her.

- as kendall22 said, she was bumped to 3.5 in Early Start Ratings. The fact that she is registering for a team this fall suggests that this is the case.

To find ESRs, you should go to your USTA district web site. At least, that's where you find them for Georgia and I assume other districts are similar.

Oldracquet27
11-19-2009, 07:21 AM
I know that if you search for my name today, you'll get 3.5. But if you search for my name and find a team I played on years ago, you will see me on those rosters as 2.5 or 3.0 -- whatever I was when I was on those teams.

Maybe that's it?

What i mean is that she registered just one week ago for the fall team and it shows 3.5, but when you check her ntrp in find a rating it shows 3.0. I guess Kendall had the right answer, it looks like if you are in line to be bumped next year, it will show in the roster if you register for the fall (end of the year) even though the "find a rating data" might not be still updated.

nocab
11-19-2009, 07:26 AM
What i mean is that she registered just one week ago for the fall team and it shows 3.5, but when you check her ntrp in find a rating it shows 3.0. I guess Kendall had the right answer, it looks like if you are in line to be bumped next year, it will show in the roster if you register for the fall (end of the year) even though the "find a rating data" might not be still updated.

Yeah she just got bumped mid season, so it is shown on the roster but no where else. You will also noticed if you are looking at her results it still shows her as a 3.0 in the top right hand corner of the pop up window.