PDA

View Full Version : how many of you lefties use a kick serve?

EKnee08
11-19-2009, 07:16 AM
Obviously, one of the best tactics of lefties is the slice serve in the ad court wide to righties backhands and it sometimes works against a fellow lefty even to a forehand since many lefties are not used to this. Many lefties use it as a second serve as well as a first serve as a change of pace. Since it is so effective, how many of you lefties hit a kicker and when do you use it?

LeeD
11-19-2009, 07:21 AM
I actually don't use the high bouncing kicker too often on ad court vs a rightie. I get wider angles using a topspin serve short and wide of the intersect lines, and with topspin, I have more accuracy and depth control. Bounce normally past doubles alley and about upper chest heights.
I do use the twist out wide duece court, usually bouncing shoulder or higher, moving the opponent into the alley, not necessarily as wide as the doubles alley. I like to mix it with lower bouncing topspin serves same location.
My silly opponents can usually groove into any constant I hit, so I like to mix it up some.

Slazenger07
11-19-2009, 08:17 AM
While I prefer my Slice serve cause its nasty and consistent, Ive been trying to hit the twist serve more often, its a new serve for me though so Im double faulting alot more than I usually do right now in an attempt to get it down, I figure its worth the doubles cause that twist doesnt come back too often when I get it in.

kevsaenz
11-19-2009, 08:36 AM
I hit it almost all the time as my second serve on the deuce side, and about half the time on the ad side. For the first serve i use it more on the deuce than the ad, but still on both. Key is to just mix it up and not fall into just hitting the slice on ad all the time or up the middle on the deuce side.

jazzyfunkybluesy
11-19-2009, 08:46 AM
Hit it sometimes as your first serve to really throw people off balance.

Slazenger07
11-19-2009, 08:50 AM
Im having trouble getting my twists to bounce up high, they've got lots of side spin and some topspin, but not as much as Id like, thus why its not a safe serve for me right now.

mtommer
11-19-2009, 09:13 AM
Unfortunately this lefty can't hit a kick serve. Although, to be honest, I don't practice it much. I love hitting hard flat serves; it just feels so good coming off the racquet.

Funbun
11-19-2009, 10:39 AM
I do; it is actually very effective as you stated. On the ad court, they're normally forced to hit to my forehand, and I can just drive it down from their if I'm facing some unprepared kid.

I do mix it up, flats and kicks, just to throw off my opponent. It's not healthy to do it all the time; they can just drop shot off it, sometimes.

LeeD
11-19-2009, 11:18 AM
I haven't played a person who has trouble returning my twist serves up around their nose/eye heights since the mid '70's.
I think the key is to play your level, not below, and everyone has seen lefty twists, tops, kicks, slices, and flats.
Played a guy at 3.0-3.5 today, could crush forehead high forehands, and hard sliced those high balls that went to his backhand.
Don't know where you guys play, but high bouncers aren't a big deal. Of course, they really can crush waist high balls, and most have some trouble with my low skidders around low shin heights.
If you find no competition, aim higher!

groundbreaker
11-19-2009, 12:23 PM
My serves don't have much kick to them. I have a very strong slice serve and flat serve, though.

Mr. Blond
11-19-2009, 01:24 PM
I use a kicker almost exclusively. My kicker really bounces up high though.

SystemicAnomaly
11-19-2009, 01:49 PM
Obviously, one of the best tactics of lefties is the slice serve in the ad court wide to righties backhands and it sometimes works against a fellow lefty even to a forehand since many lefties are not used to this. Many lefties use it as a second serve as well as a first serve as a change of pace. Since it is so effective, how many of you lefties hit a kicker and when do you use it?

Actaully a topspin serve (relatively little slice) out wide on the ad side also works very well. Not that important whether it kicks or not, just as long as it clears the net and pulls the receiver out wide.

As LeeD indicates, lefties tend to kick more & more effectively on the deuce side rather than the ad side. Ever notice that when a righty is demonstrating a kick serve, esp a twist kick, it is almost always shown on the ad side. Just as righties prefer to kick/twist on the ad side, lefties tend to do it on the deuce side more often.

Bungalo Bill
11-19-2009, 02:15 PM

Kick, twist, topspin slice, topspin, slice, flat, weird, unknowns, swerves, up the T, out wide, in the body, you get em all from me. lol

VaBeachTennis
11-19-2009, 02:33 PM
Actaully a topspin serve (relatively little slice) out wide on the ad side also works very well. Not that important whether it kicks or not, just as long as it clears the net and pulls the receiver out wide.

As LeeD indicates, lefties tend to kick more & more effectively on the deuce side rather than the ad side. Ever notice that when a righty is demonstrating a kick serve, esp a twist kick, it is almost always shown on the ad side. Just as righties prefer to kick/twist on the ad side, lefties tend to do it on the deuce side more often.

That makes a lot of sense to me. In replaying my serves in my head, I rarely serve a "kicker' to the Ad side. Even my second serve to the ad side has a little slice on it.

LeeD
11-19-2009, 02:53 PM
Hmm....
Peeps I play with have no trouble hitting topspins off head high balls, usually to bounce at the service line making for tough low/half volley by me.
Even at C levels, about 3.5 nowadaze, I find the competition well able to handle those high shots to both forehand and backhands.
Me, I can't do as well, being an old fart, so I can lose to 3.5's sometimes..:cry: