PDA

View Full Version : surgery recommended?

downthewall
11-19-2009, 12:13 PM
I've been having chronic tennis elblow for the last 3 years. This year as been the worst to the point where my elbow hurts bad when i wake up from sleep. I've laid off tennis for a year and still my elbow hurts! In the past my dr gave me a total of 4-5 cortozone shots but i dont want any more shots since its getting worst. My question to anyone out there, is what is the success rate for people like me getting surgery to fix the problem. My doctor says its the last thing to consider but I've tried EVERYTHING for the past 3 years. I can barely play mini tennis with a peewee racquet with my daughter.

Thoughts?

mikeler
11-19-2009, 12:22 PM
I've been having chronic tennis elblow for the last 3 years. This year as been the worst to the point where my elbow hurts bad when i wake up from sleep. I've laid off tennis for a year and still my elbow hurts! In the past my dr gave me a total of 4-5 cortozone shots but i dont want any more shots since its getting worst. My question to anyone out there, is what is the success rate for people like me getting surgery to fix the problem. My doctor says its the last thing to consider but I've tried EVERYTHING for the past 3 years. I can barely play mini tennis with a peewee racquet with my daughter.

Thoughts?

I don't think anything is guaranteed with surgery. I'm currently undergoing ultrasonic and electrical stimulation therapy for my golfer's elbow. It is working very well so far. I'm also taking glucosamine now and will be using an air cast when I get back out on the court.

kslick
11-19-2009, 12:52 PM
I don't think anything is guaranteed with surgery. I'm currently undergoing ultrasonic and electrical stimulation therapy for my golfer's elbow. It is working very well so far. I'm also taking glucosamine now and will be using an air cast when I get back out on the court.

Are they doing the Ultrasonic treatment directly over the tendon, next to the bone or more around the area?

mikeler
11-19-2009, 01:03 PM
Are they doing the Ultrasonic treatment directly over the tendon, next to the bone or more around the area?

I have triceps tendinitis and golfer's elbow, so my chiropractor is doing the ultrasonic treatment all around the area. She mentioned a story yesterday about TE. She tried to treat a patient after they underwent surgery for TE, but the result of the surgery was so bad the patient just had to stop playing tennis. I'm fairly ambidextrous and I've had this problem for a year, so I've put some serious thought into just playing left handed.

jrod
11-19-2009, 01:13 PM

Thoughts?

Seeing that you've layed off tennis for a year, I would have thought the tendonitis would have subsided considerably if the only aggravating cause is tennis. Makes me think tennis might not be the only source of aggravation.

Surgery is no guarantee. Strongly consider other options like Plasma Replacement Therapy for example.

mike53
11-19-2009, 01:23 PM
I've tried EVERYTHING for the past 3 years

Have you been doing resistance based upper extremity strength training, 3-5 times a week for this entire time? If not, then you haven't tried everything.

Teyko
11-19-2009, 02:34 PM
i would urge you to consider PRT (Platlet Rich Plasma Therapy) or Mesenchymal Stem Cells before taking the plunge into surgery.

El Diablo
11-19-2009, 09:39 PM
A very smart surgeon I know at Yale once said to me "when you have a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." People will use what they have with perhaps insufficient regard to potential harm. What on earth is the rationale for ultrasound here??? If you say increased circulation, I will scream. And no orthopedist I know has ever advised more than 2-3 cortisone injections, since more can lead to tissue breakdown and damage.

larry10s
11-20-2009, 04:55 AM
look into platelet rich plasma therapy http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/54946.php

BMC9670
11-20-2009, 08:28 AM
Seeing as how you've tried everything, rackets and strings has probably been covered... But, I started playing seriously 3 years ago and didn't know much about equipment. Got bad advice and bought a stiff, light racket and had problems. Same as you, couldn't even lift a racket without pain for a stretch. Took a few months off and it got better, switched to a more arm friendly racket (heavier, headlight, more flexible) and strings. Now the elbow is almost 100%.

The racket progression was:
Wilson NCode 62 (not good - sold)
Price O3 Shark (good - still have 'em)
Pro Kennex 5G (best - use most of the time)

I tried gut string but it broke too often, so now I'm using a soft multifiliment (Head Rip Control), which I like with the 5G.