PDA

View Full Version : Grip turning during serve...how do I fix it?

martini1
11-19-2009, 10:06 PM
I have noticed when I do my 1st serve, somehow on contact/just before contact my grip is turning slightly towards the semi-eastern area. I know this is a bad habit and it should be fixed. Any suggestions on what causes the sudden change of grip? and how do I fix it?

I am using a #3 grip + an over grip. It should be OK for my size. I am holding the stick with the butt cap about 1.5" down from the center of the palm.

jwbarrientos
11-20-2009, 12:56 AM
I was commented that is a common move in beginners, the easy answer should be ask a coach to work on it, I heard @ my club that serves is sth to work with simple approach and develop continental comfortable position (Challenge #1) starting with semi-eastern, probably demands more time than other strokes.

Challenge #2 would be adding the famous pronation that is more complicated to adopt in a natural way.

larry10s
11-20-2009, 04:01 AM
I have noticed when I do my 1st serve, somehow on contact/just before contact my grip is turning slightly towards the semi-eastern area. I know this is a bad habit and it should be fixed. Any suggestions on what causes the sudden change of grip? and how do I fix it?

I am using a #3 grip + an over grip. It should be OK for my size. I am holding the stick with the butt cap about 1.5" down from the center of the palm.

i assume you mean you are going from continental to eastern FOREHAND. 2 way to try to fix this #1 try serving with an eastern BACKHAND grip. #2 put a penny under your knuckle or heel pad and serve and dont drop the penny. although you may be gripping the racquet too tightly for a perfect serve it will get you used to the feel of staying in your continental grip. just my 2 cents

papa
11-20-2009, 04:23 AM
Players ofter change the grip slightly just before serving - most don't even realize it so your ahead of the situation already.

Never heard about the penny idea but if it works, and probably does, great, go for it.

I like to see a little bit more of the "fatty" portion of the hand overhanging the racquet butt - don't go overboard on this but so it looks like a little bulge over the butt. Sounds like you might have none hanging over by what you describe.

I get a lots of newer player or people who have been away from the game for awhile due to injury, job, etc. Some of my terms, because I don't want to overload the thinking process, are simple but effective, at least for me. For instance, I tell them to use the hammer grip on a serve - as if you were going to use the frame to hammer in a nail. For the most part, everyone seems to quickly understand that concept and we're able to move on quickly to more important things. I also want them to go up and nail the ball when serving - get some interesting results here but I can generally bring them around fairly quickly.

I really think the grip changing thing is because the player lacks the confidence that they can actually hit the ball with the grip they start out with - so, get a helmet and have them experiment. That actually isn't funny because the ball can cause severe injury and I know that all too well.

LeeD
11-20-2009, 08:27 AM
For me, preventing grip switching DURING the service motion is best avoided by loosening the grip, and use the ring finger on the beginning of the buttcap.

Loco4Tennis
11-20-2009, 09:06 AM
make sure its not a case of using a dirty overgrip
a tackier/newer overgrip will not slip as easily on your hands

martini1
11-20-2009, 04:35 PM
I was commented that is a common move in beginners, the easy answer should be ask a coach to work on it, I heard @ my club that serves is sth to work with simple approach and develop continental comfortable position (Challenge #1) starting with semi-eastern, probably demands more time than other strokes.

Challenge #2 would be adding the famous pronation that is more complicated to adopt in a natural way.

I am already working on the pronation, but not very consistent though. :)

martini1
11-20-2009, 04:39 PM
i assume you mean you are going from continental to eastern FOREHAND. 2 way to try to fix this #1 try serving with an eastern BACKHAND grip. #2 put a penny under your knuckle or heel pad and serve and dont drop the penny. although you may be gripping the racquet too tightly for a perfect serve it will get you used to the feel of staying in your continental grip. just my 2 cents

The penny trick sounds interesting. I don't think I will drop it as I don't change my grip THAT much, but I'll give it a shot next time as see...

Yes, I meant semi eastern forehand. My coach did tell me to start with a eastern backhand grip when I first started. It was useful for getting some spin on the serve but it will not give me a powerful 1st serve.

martini1
11-20-2009, 04:43 PM
Players ofter change the grip slightly just before serving - most don't even realize it so your ahead of the situation already.

Never heard about the penny idea but if it works, and probably does, great, go for it.

I like to see a little bit more of the "fatty" portion of the hand overhanging the racquet butt - don't go overboard on this but so it looks like a little bulge over the butt. Sounds like you might have none hanging over by what you describe.

I get a lots of newer player or people who have been away from the game for awhile due to injury, job, etc. Some of my terms, because I don't want to overload the thinking process, are simple but effective, at least for me. For instance, I tell them to use the hammer grip on a serve - as if you were going to use the frame to hammer in a nail. For the most part, everyone seems to quickly understand that concept and we're able to move on quickly to more important things. I also want them to go up and nail the ball when serving - get some interesting results here but I can generally bring them around fairly quickly.

I really think the grip changing thing is because the player lacks the confidence that they can actually hit the ball with the grip they start out with - so, get a helmet and have them experiment. That actually isn't funny because the ball can cause severe injury and I know that all too well.

Thanks for your advice!

martini1
11-20-2009, 04:46 PM
For me, preventing grip switching DURING the service motion is best avoided by loosening the grip, and use the ring finger on the beginning of the buttcap.

make sure its not a case of using a dirty overgrip
a tackier/newer overgrip will not slip as easily on your hands

Yes I think my grip is a bit too tight sometimes. And I do agree on the overgrip part. I am using a new Gamma overgrip and it seems to be less tacky than the Wilson I used to use.

LeeD
11-20-2009, 05:09 PM
Start first and second serves with CONTINENTAL grip now, and when you're 47 out of 50 with second serves that grip, you can choose to turn it a bit to favor yourself and your swing.

martini1
11-20-2009, 07:58 PM
Start first and second serves with CONTINENTAL grip now, and when you're 47 out of 50 with second serves that grip, you can choose to turn it a bit to favor yourself and your swing.

I am using continental for both first and second now. Although my second serve has no power, i manage to get some spin and no prob with the grip changing issue like with the 1st serve.

paulfreda
11-20-2009, 09:32 PM
Make the grip thicker
Benefits;
1/ more surface area => easier to hold
2/ makes it more headlight => more manuverable

JMHO

LeeD
11-21-2009, 06:43 AM
Martini 1.
You just said you use the conti grip for 1st and 2nd serves. You have no twisting problem, so your problem is solved.
As for power in the 2nd serve....... your second serve should go about 30-50 mph SLOWER than your first serve. You swing your second serve swing about 10-20% FASTER, so you impart much more spin and lose out ball speed!!!!!!
Do not use the grip that you have the twisting problem with...:shock:

jwbarrientos
11-21-2009, 11:47 AM

:shock: That penny idea sounds interesting, will practice next time, I'm afraid about how many pennys can lose in the process. :?