PDA

View Full Version : How to get more power from a 2H backhand?

TahoeTennis
11-20-2009, 11:01 AM
Hey gang! I'm having a great year of tennis and can see some improvements on my game. However the biggest weakness I would say I have right now is generating power from my 2 handed backhand. Any tips? Grips? Hips? Short backswing? I have a solid chip slice which I like to laser over the net, but when it comes to ripping a solid winner, I seem to only generate 50-75 percent of the pace that I can get from my forehand. Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

M.E.

fuzz nation
11-20-2009, 11:30 AM
Almost impossible to know what to say without having any way to visually analyze your stroke, but I'll offer one or two ideas that might be useful.

The 2hbh is already super stable, but sometimes a player will use a rather firm grip with both hands thinking that they're replicating their forehand grip. Problem is, the forehand has only one hand on the racquet and also has less leverage. Lots of players hang on to a two-hander too tightly and that tension can kill the racquet's movement.

With that in mind, the extra looseness in your grip (and hopefully your wrists and arms, too) ought to allow for a better release of the racquet through the hitting zone. For the 2hbh to get that release, I've found that a deliberate extension of the left arm through contact (for a righty) really propels the racquet. More or less, as I extend my left arm, it makes my left wrist roll over my right so that the racquet head "whups" past my hands at the contact area. I used to sort of curl or lift the racquet through the ball with my 2hbh and one day I needed to stretch for a ball that wasn't close by. When I absolutely crushed the shot (with accuracy), that made the lights go on and my two-hander has a lot more energy now.

Forgive me for mastering the obvious, but you also need to deliberately move forward off that back foot for a good stroke.

LeeD
11-20-2009, 12:30 PM
Kinetics.
Use your legs for drive, closed stance, and pivot your hips into the shot along with your shoulders. Don't just use your arms.

sir_shanks_alot
11-20-2009, 12:54 PM
The 2H is about HIPS & SHOULDERS. They need to turn.

Like what Fuzz said about the loose wrists, except I'd add that I firm up my left wrist (I'm a righty) just before and through the shot. The weight shift is also good.

Wrists too loose = the "slapping" at the ball like most beginners do. You can make it consistent for generating pace from nothing, but it will fall apart when receiving pace because its impossible to time and lacks stability.

user92626
11-20-2009, 12:57 PM
sir,

I'd like to know what the difference is between a "slapping" and an otherwise?

sir_shanks_alot
11-20-2009, 01:04 PM
What I mean is flicking the head of the racquet at the ball with only the wrist(s); there's usually no body turn.

You can do it also with a body turn, but its still less effective than a proper "driving" stroke; and its even harder to time.

Using the body/core turn, you have more control and power because the muscles are bigger and make the work easier.

You only see pro's do this "flick", "slap" or whatever you want to call it when they're out of position.

enishi1357
11-20-2009, 01:09 PM
Like what they said, your main priority is to go for a close stance to give as much accuracy and power as possible. Any other variety would be an extreme close stance or a open stance. I personally choose the open stance because I don't like waist rotation.

LeeD
11-20-2009, 01:14 PM
Usually....
Open stance 2HBH's favored with grips from SW to W.
Closed stance 2HBH's favored for grips from E to Conti. This one, lead arm normally straight.