PDA

View Full Version : How to make good use of a very consistent crosscourt 2HBH?

Golden Retriever
11-20-2009, 02:11 PM
I love my crosscourt 2HBH which is incredibly consistent. I can hit it with 90% power without missing all day. However my DTL BH is just very mediocre. How can I take advantage of my CC 2HBH without having a good DTL BH?

LeeD
11-20-2009, 02:18 PM
Hit 3 hard top CC's followed by a soft, low DTL block or slice. You will win most points against your level players
If that DTL is still elusive, then go for sharp angled drop CC's with extreme backspin.

itracbui3
11-20-2009, 02:20 PM
I love my crosscourt 2HBH which is incredibly consistent. I can hit it with 90% power without missing all day. However my DTL BH is just very mediocre. How can I take advantage of my CC 2HBH without having a good DTL BH?

i am like the total opposite of you. i can hit DTL BH with massive power all day long w.o missing a single one but i have trouble with CC BH so i always tend to slice it over if not then id have to add major topspin to it and it will usually fly a bit out of the box. i hate those who play CC backhand but here is what my friend usually do. he would do a couple CC BH forcing me to hit down the line then he will make it look like hes going to hit a CC FH but he will do a DTL forehand instead and it will get me cross legged.

Bottle Rocket
11-21-2009, 06:04 PM

If you get into a backhand crosscourt rally, and you're pinning them back to the corner with your bachands, how about knocking a forehand up the line from your bakchand corner? The reply will by easy to anticipate, though it is a risk... But if you hit your shots well enough and don't hit the forehand until you're in an offensive position, this should be an effective play.

To set up your backhand, go for a forehand down the line from your forehand side. Don't go for a low-percentage winner or aim for the lines, but a forehand to your opponents backhand side will generally yield a crosscourt reply to your backhand.

Finally, if your backhand is that good and that reliable, you should be winning the majority of the rallies because few opponents have the ability which you claim what you have. If you can hit crosscourt backhands all day, do it. Hewitt thinks it is a good strategy.

Nellie
11-21-2009, 07:12 PM
Keep on hitting it and challenge your opponent to:

1) be more consistent than you, or

2) take a risk and change direction to go down the line.

In either case, look constantly for a shorter ball in the middle of the court that you can crush with your forehand - this is actually a very high percentage play with a high payoff, so you are putting yourself in a position where you are playing softly and where your opponent is taking all the risk

xFullCourtTenniSx
11-22-2009, 09:06 PM
Rip them crosscourt all day long, aiming for either the corner or short and wide. Although backhands down the line can help a lot, you don't need them at all except for passing shots.

Cody
11-22-2009, 09:30 PM
Attack the second serve.

If your opponant has a weak second serve make sure your making him pay.

Step in and don't be scared, it's his service game and even if you make an error, the fact that you are trying to pound his serve will put him under alot of pressure.

Cody,

skyzoo
11-23-2009, 02:32 AM
Attack the second serve.

If your opponant has a weak second serve make sure your making him pay.

Step in and don't be scared, it's his service game and even if you make an error, the fact that you are trying to pound his serve will put him under alot of pressure.

Cody,
How's that help his consistent 2 handed backhand cc? Good advice for a different question though....

Djokovicfan4life
11-23-2009, 02:38 AM
How's that help his consistent 2 handed backhand cc? Good advice for a different question though....

Well, he could use the CC backhand to attack the second serve.

crash1929
11-23-2009, 05:57 AM
Hit 3 hard top CC's followed by a soft, low DTL block or slice. You will win most points against your level players
If that DTL is still elusive, then go for sharp angled drop CC's with extreme backspin.

sounds like good advice i will try this

crash1929
11-23-2009, 06:00 AM
to OP you want to know about the bh dtl?
read agassi's book.

Lefty5
11-23-2009, 06:03 AM
vary the height! Roll a couple higher and deeper every now and then.

LeeD
11-23-2009, 07:29 AM
Often, when I see a player with one great shot, like CC topspin 2HBH's, they also use a variant stroke for their off shots, like the DTL's. Some use sidespin, other's slice for their DTL. Works for them without disturbing their dominant shot.

Cody
11-23-2009, 04:22 PM

When you take into account that most people attack the backhand on serves having a cc backhand that you can rely on, helps alot.

When he serves to your backhand make it known that you can handle it and attack it.

Once the pressure builds up his serving will either become slower with him trying to get his first serves in or he'll make more errors.

fruitytennis1
11-23-2009, 04:30 PM
This girl I know hits her 2hbh with lots of topspin and deep. Pushes the opponent back and eventually she will get a weak reply and... Lucky my bh is freaking amazing.

LeeD
11-23-2009, 05:34 PM
To all you guys with "amazing" and "consistently strong" shots.....
Why don't you raise the level of competition. Your great shot breaks down, and you MAY NOW BE HUMBLE.
None of you play 7.0 tennis, so why don't you be realistic instead of claiming you "own" this incredible shot?
Any decent competitor will expose your strong 2hbh CC shot and keep away from it, choosing instead to attack all your other weaknesses, and you have MANY, based on your opponent's level of play.
So when you LOSE a set, don't keep telling us you have this "great, infallible shot". You don't, but maybe against lower level players, you might. Meaning you're lower level.

Golden Retriever
11-23-2009, 07:08 PM
Well, maybe I should add that it is very consistent unless I have to scramble then it'd just crumbles.