PDA

View Full Version : Black Toes due to Tennis

Roy125
11-20-2009, 03:37 PM
I keep on getting black toes due to the sprinting and stopping in tennis. It only effects the two toes next to my big toes of both my feet. Is there any way that I can stop this blackness from forming?

LuckyR
11-20-2009, 04:28 PM
I keep on getting black toes due to the sprinting and stopping in tennis. It only effects the two toes next to my big toes of both my feet. Is there any way that I can stop this blackness from forming?

Trim your nails and get shoes a half size larger.

eagle
11-20-2009, 04:28 PM
Get shoe sire .5 bigger. Hence, if your shoe size is 10, then get a 10.5.

Works for me.

Another tip is to lace up the shoes a little more snugly right behind the toes before it rises to the leg/ankle. This will help prevent your foot from sliding forward and jamming your toes to the front of the shoe.

r,
eagle

SystemicAnomaly
11-20-2009, 07:17 PM
+1 on lacing your shoes more snugly (but not tight enuff to cut off circulation or pinch any nerves).

Netspirit
11-20-2009, 08:53 PM
Choose your shoes wisely. The ones that feel the most comfortable in store (light, soft, "spacious") are not necessarily the ones that will do the best on court.

After I switched to a heavier, firmer shoes (Adidas Barricade 5) my black toe problem went away - the foot no longer slides when I run forward and stop. In addition to that, they just look cool :) although ventilation could be better.

And yeah, do not fit tennis shoes the way you fit normal ones. You do need a bit of space in front of your toes, adding +.5 to the size usually does the trick.

bertrevert
11-21-2009, 02:44 AM
Check you haven't worn away on the inside of the toe - ie. there should be some material there. It's minimal padding but it is something. If it's plastic only then those shoes are worn out and should be chucked. It happened to me with old shoes I just couldn't get rid of (sentimental and stupid) for the plastic gripped my toes.

Also it can happen when shoes are too big. You're foot is sliding in them.

chess9
11-21-2009, 04:51 AM
Take a pair of pliars and pull off the toenail. This will allow you to buy smaller and lighter shoes, and run faster. Does this sound extreme? :)

http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/wayoflife/08/12/california.badwater.ultramarathon/index.html
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20080710/NEWS/259945360/
-Robert

topher.juan
11-21-2009, 06:35 PM
What you've got is runner's toe. When you notice it going blue/black underneath put a red hot needle through the top of the nail to drain the blood, otherwise it lifts and you can loose the nail. I've done this several times and it hurts much less than you'd think, the key is to have the needle red so it melts through the nail with virtually zero pressure. Also, you have to do this before the blood dries, otherwise it makes no sense. There's lots of videos on youtube showing you how to do this, search 'runner's toe needle'.

jazzyfunkybluesy
11-21-2009, 07:54 PM
What kind of shoes and model do you wear. I noticed the Court Ballistecs and The Barricade 5's heel is higher than the toe. This uneveness makes your foot jam up against the toe box. I like a more even sole like the Air Vapor 5 or the Adidas Genius.

dgoldman
11-27-2009, 08:56 AM
I've had the same problem quite a few times. I wear thick thorolo socks now with shoes a little big -- vapor VI are my fav. But then you have to tighten the laces quite a bit down by the toe box. The vapor VI are great because once broken(and this takes a while and almost hurts while doing it) in they fit like a glove... almost like they mold to your foot. Oh I also use a nice insole -- polysorb by spenco. I think the biggest key here, as stated in previous threads, is to keep that toebox tight so your foot doesn't slid forward.

tennisdad65
11-27-2009, 09:52 AM
These are some options. I use the first 3
1) trim your toe nails real short. I do this weekly.
2) lace up tight near the toe box as someone indicated earlier
3) 2 pairs of socks
4) wear toe nail protectors. I found them uncomfortable and they do not last long.