PDA

View Full Version : Coaching 101 - Help a Young Fella Out

Cody
11-20-2009, 10:55 PM
Hey Guys,

I finally worked up the courage to ask my coach for some work this holidays.

It seems i will be helping him coach the school holidays tennis camp kids , which range from 5-10 and are not very experienced.
I will also be acting as a hitting partner for some of the better kids.

I have a very general knowledge of technique thanks to hours of FYB footage, but would like to impress my coach and prove that i can be useful :)

Having a part time job while i'm in school, doing the thing i love the most would be awesome. :)

So my question is,

What do i need to do to act as a good assistant coach to these young guys.

PS: If you need to ask any questions go ahead.

Thanks Cody,

theZig
11-20-2009, 11:50 PM
Being an assistant coach can be tougher than being an actual coach in some ways. You need to realize you're playing 2nd in command, and that nothing you say should interfere (aka waste time) with the head coach's. That being said, having a thorough understanding of what the coach is saying when he says things will go a long way.

If a kid asks you for advice, give him something basic. If he wants to know more, go into detail then. Kids have short attention spans, and when they say things like "How can I hit the ball harder??", explaining the kinetic chain and other things can often bore them. Give them quick-tips, such as "Load more onto your right leg" or "Make sure you get under the ball!" among others.

Also, as the assistant coach, try and be the friendlier of the two. I'm assuming you're much younger than your coach, and closer in age to these kids. Make sure you connect to them at a level beyond "The guy on the court who is the coach's gofer". That doesn't mean you're playing a popularity war with your coach, but rather you're the guy to go for when they need basic and simple advice. I can't speak for your coach's teaching style, but you do need to show some competence. A coach's worth is not determined by his tennis knowledge, but by how well he transfers what he knows. If you had all the knowledge in the world and were a 7.0 player, but could only transfer half of that, you would produce a lot of 3.5's (Which is nothing to be ashamed of by any means!), but if you knew a lot up to 5.5 and could transfer 80%, you'd be making 4.0's out of people. All of this being said, if you can transfer at least some of the knowledge you posses in an easy-to-digest form, you are on your way to becoming a successful coach.

Think of tips that helped you personally. Was there a period of time you were sailing balls long, like the kid in front of you? What did you do back then to help yourself? Think about it from their perspective. He's constantly hitting balls out, he doesn't know why. Do you? What helped you during that time? Is the cause of his problem the same as yours was (IE is he simply not hitting enough spin, or is there a deeper problem in his form?)? Putting yourself in his shoes, and using your deeper knowledge of tennis to remedy his problems will work wonders.

Well, that's all I'll write for now. I need to get to bed. Let me know if you have more questions as I'd be glad to answer so long as you remain polite and honest!

Cody
11-20-2009, 11:59 PM
Thanks for the reply,

Lol, the age difference between my coach is pretty big, he recently played at the world masters games in sydney for over 65"s and i just turned 15.

Currently i think the job is more about entertaining the kids then providing coaching, my coach said he will have to watch me the first couple of times but after that i can do it by myself.

So the question i'm asking is how can i go from entertaining young children to showing that i can do more.

Cody,

nabrug
11-21-2009, 04:43 AM
http://www.procomparetennis.net/articles/author/Mike-Barrell

http://www.evolve9.com/free_information.php

Read, read and than read some more.

LeeD
11-21-2009, 06:55 AM
Cody, is your avatar a painting of Cheops on a jetski? My eyes are old, and I can't maximize the pic. Teapoo

11-21-2009, 07:09 AM
To impress this coach, watch him and find out what he wants out of you. Don't let trying to impress him with your skills and info get in the way of his agenda in the training. Look for small ways to show what you have learned within the structure of HIS program.

Cody
11-21-2009, 11:04 AM
Cody, is your avatar a painting of Cheops on a jetski? My eyes are old, and I can't maximize the pic. Teapoo

Here is a bigger version

http://www.sciner.com/CDP/Teahupoo.JPG

I wish it was me :twisted:

chico9166
11-21-2009, 12:38 PM
To impress this coach, watch him and find out what he wants out of you. Don't let trying to impress him with your skills and info get in the way of his agenda in the training. Look for small ways to show what you have learned within the structure of HIS program.

Nice post. Yea, everything you do should be geared towards complimenting what he's trying to get done on the court. Inquire!

Jagman
11-21-2009, 02:01 PM
Ditto on being onboard with the coach's program. Don't be afraid to ask questions about it in advance. If it's something like Quickstart, there is a lot of information readily available online. Remember the 7 P's and familiarize yourself with the subject matter and how it is to be presented in advance. Hopefully, you will have been working with this coach for a while as a student and will have some firsthand appreciation for his methods.

I also like the observation that young children have short attention spans. Don't let their attention wander or they'll be like monkeys in a cage. Rather than order them about like a drill sergeant, strive to keep them busy. Having them stand in line to wait a turn or making them stand around while you engage in a long lecture is a recipe for disaster.

Be personable and friendly. Try to learn their names and call them by name repeatedly. Make sure you praise more than criticize.

Finally, practice some feeds, both by hand and with the racquet. It is much more difficult than it looks.

Have fun! Odds are, if you have fun, they will too. And they'll thank you for it.

Cheers!

Bungalo Bill
11-22-2009, 03:34 PM
Hey Guys,

I finally worked up the courage to ask my coach for some work this holidays.

It seems i will be helping him coach the school holidays tennis camp kids , which range from 5-10 and are not very experienced.
I will also be acting as a hitting partner for some of the better kids.

I have a very general knowledge of technique thanks to hours of FYB footage, but would like to impress my coach and prove that i can be useful :)

Having a part time job while i'm in school, doing the thing i love the most would be awesome. :)

So my question is,

What do i need to do to act as a good assistant coach to these young guys.

PS: If you need to ask any questions go ahead.

Thanks Cody,

Hey Cody,

Best thing to do right now is simply be a sponge and learn. Be eager to help and humble enough to take criticism if it comes your way. Always work hard and help the players when you can to earn their respect.

Bungalo Bill
11-22-2009, 03:36 PM
Here is a bigger version

http://www.sciner.com/CDP/Teahupoo.JPG

I wish it was me :twisted:

Hahaha, that is what they all say, until they paddle out and actually can't see what they are paddling and dropping in on.

Narly wave anyways. He doesn't look he is in a good position especially since he is surfing it backside. :)

LeeD
11-22-2009, 03:38 PM
Nice tow in Cheops. I'm so blind, I need that bigger pic.
Funny how backsiders are dominating there, Tavs, Pipe, and otherwise used to goof havens.
Yet backsiders don't dominate Sunset, Ranch, or SantaCruz. Oh, I won 1A's, 2A's, 3A's, and reached equal 3rd 4A's at Lanes. 4 mile my haven.

Cody
11-22-2009, 06:35 PM
Hey Cody,

Best thing to do right now is simply be a sponge and learn. Be eager to help and humble enough to take criticism if it comes your way. Always work hard and help the players when you can to earn their respect.

Thanks,

As for the wave, i would like to see the outcome, as a goofy myself coming from wakeboarding backside feels more natural which seems weird.

Anyways thanks for the help.

Bungalo Bill
11-22-2009, 06:54 PM
Thanks,

As for the wave, i would like to see the outcome, as a goofy myself coming from wakeboarding backside feels more natural which seems weird.

Anyways thanks for the help.

Yeah, I am goofy foot too but taking on a wave that is moving that fast that is barrelling the way it is? His only chance and it is probably what he is doing is to make that wave through the tube. Stall, let it come over you and then rip through it. Difficult to ride that thing on the face especially going backside, he has to make it through the tube.

Cody
11-22-2009, 07:40 PM
Yeah, I am goofy foot too but taking on a wave that is moving that fast that is barrelling the way it is? His only chance and it is probably what he is doing is to make that wave through the tube. Stall, let it come over you and then rip through it. Difficult to ride that thing on the face especially going backside, he has to make it through the tube.

Yeh now that i think about it :) , man i'm hanging for a surf.

Anyway my wakeboarding past has been tranferring bad habits such as leaning back to far and not keeping my weight nice and low.

Solat
11-22-2009, 08:43 PM
Cody,

kudos to you for being aware enough to ask about how to do things the best you can but you are asking the wrong people here. Ask the Head Coach what he wants you to do, what he wants you to achieve, what he wants the kids to achieve and the KEY POINTS he is coaching.

Your FYB knowledge is not relevant for school holiday clinics for the most part. What you need to do is focus on the coach's key points and keep the activities flowing.

for me the focus points of all kids low level clinics is
*Structure : Kids coaching needs organisation and flow, it needs to be predictable so they can follow but have variety so they don't get bored
*Participation : as many kids as possible being as busy as possible
*Enjoyment : its gotta be fun or they aren't coming back
*Improvement : the least important for now, they will get better thru exposure and repetition, for now instilling the correct basics will allow the advanced techniques later on.

Be as extroverted as you can, and please please ensure you learn kids names ASAP, you get their respect and you have more control when you can call them by name.

Cody
11-22-2009, 08:53 PM
Cody,

kudos to you for being aware enough to ask about how to do things the best you can but you are asking the wrong people here. Ask the Head Coach what he wants you to do, what he wants you to achieve, what he wants the kids to achieve and the KEY POINTS he is coaching.

Your FYB knowledge is not relevant for school holiday clinics for the most part. What you need to do is focus on the coach's key points and keep the activities flowing.

for me the focus points of all kids low level clinics is
*Structure : Kids coaching needs organisation and flow, it needs to be predictable so they can follow but have variety so they don't get bored
*Participation : as many kids as possible being as busy as possible
*Enjoyment : its gotta be fun or they aren't coming back
*Improvement : the least important for now, they will get better thru exposure and repetition, for now instilling the correct basics will allow the advanced techniques later on.

Be as extroverted as you can, and please please ensure you learn kids names ASAP, you get their respect and you have more control when you can call them by name.

Thanks, i appreciate it.

Those four points are all i need now, and what bungalow bill said about learning from the coach and what he wants to achieve, technique is not really the focus atm.

Thanks again guys.

LeeD
11-23-2009, 07:07 AM
Yeah, all the modern backsiders go tubing with backhand rail grabs, almost like boogie boarding! Just kidding, utmost respect for backsiders at Cheops, Pipe, Backdoor, StocktonAve., Osprey's, BirdSh.tRock (old SurferMag poster), and InsideSunset.
Tow in just a different sport, riding 16" wide 6'1" footstrapped 18lbs boards. Just another sport altogether as you don't move to trim, your feet are locked, and you drop in as early as you want from full speed.
Utmost respect for surfers who go left at LogCabins.

BMC9670
11-23-2009, 08:05 AM
Finally, practice some feeds, both by hand and with the racquet. It is much more difficult than it looks.

Cheers!

This is big and often overlooked. I'm not a coach but work a lot with my son, and feeding is HARD. With kids it's hard to feed well so that they can hit a correct stroke over and over and for more accomplished players, feeding with more game realism to make them work.

I do some clinics at our club and I'm amazed at the skill and consistency with which our pro can feed balls in different situations, not just fluffing it in there, but starting a drill with a live "game" ball. There is one drill where he has us feed our own, and it's a disaster!

Bungalo Bill
11-23-2009, 12:45 PM
This is big and often overlooked. I'm not a coach but work a lot with my son, and feeding is HARD. With kids it's hard to feed well so that they can hit a correct stroke over and over and for more accomplished players, feeding with more game realism to make them work.

Yup, feeding is an art and a skill and believe it or not, some players, even good players, can't feed!

Many players think it is just about hitting or striking the ball. However, feeding a ball requires touch as well, especially for kids. But of course, many coaches because it requires good touch, will simply toss the ball to kids instead.