PDA

View Full Version : USTA Year End Ratings - When?

gordo
11-21-2009, 08:13 AM
Does anyone have any idea when/where these will be published? This is my first year to be involved.

D. Net Tricks
11-21-2009, 12:19 PM
Not sure how reliable either of my sources is, but round here (Pacific Northwest) rumour has it all 2009 end of year NTRP ratings will be posting on tennis link on Monday.
Here's the address to the tennis link page where they will post : http://tennislink.usta.com/leagues/reports/NTRP/FindRating.asp

MrCLEAN
11-22-2009, 04:20 PM
I heard 12/5 here in TX

Perry the Platypus
11-23-2009, 08:11 AM
Seems like they should be posted 11/30 (or at least that week). One would think, since the ratings are theoretically dynamic - and therefore instant, we could have them now that all the championships are done - but I'm sure it'll take at least a week.

raiden031
11-23-2009, 10:15 AM
Seems like they should be posted 11/30 (or at least that week). One would think, since the ratings are theoretically dynamic - and therefore instant, we could have them now that all the championships are done - but I'm sure it'll take at least a week.

What I don't get is that it takes 24 hours from the start of ratings being updated to the end of it. I would think the computer could calculate them very quickly...this probably means that humans are manually entering new ratings into the system based on the calculated results. What I also find odd is that the order in which ratings are updated is seemingly random.

fe6250
11-24-2009, 06:05 AM
What I also find odd is that the order in which ratings are updated is seemingly random.

I watched as the ratings updated last year and it appeared to update post-season players first and then alphabetically by rating, but who knows?

Perry the Platypus
11-24-2009, 06:30 AM
Yesterday I sent an email to my section with regard to when the new ratings will be released, and - shock of all shocks - I have heard nothing back...

raiden031
11-24-2009, 06:46 AM
I watched as the ratings updated last year and it appeared to update post-season players first and then alphabetically by rating, but who knows?

Well let me put it this way. I won a National championship, and my last name starts with A, and it took several hours from when players in my local league started showing up with updated ratings until mine did.

fe6250
11-24-2009, 06:51 AM
Well let me put it this way. I won a National championship, and my last name starts with A, and it took several hours from when players in my local league started showing up with updated ratings until mine did.

Must be by racquet type! :)

JavierLW
11-24-2009, 07:32 AM
Yesterday I sent an email to my section with regard to when the new ratings will be released, and - shock of all shocks - I have heard nothing back...

"Are the newspapers there yet?" :twisted:

(I can imagine how they must feel.....)

atatu
11-24-2009, 07:38 AM
I'm going to guess around 12/1 or 12/2...

tennis_star
11-24-2009, 11:25 AM
I got a message form our coordinator and rating will be out on December 2nd.

sunshinez
11-27-2009, 03:25 PM
the ratings are coming out 12/1 if your e-mail is on tennis link you will be getting a e-mail about the ratings.

fe6250
11-27-2009, 04:38 PM
the ratings are coming out 12/1 if your e-mail is on tennis link you will be getting a e-mail about the ratings.

This was posted by Kostas in another thread. I believe this is the most compelling data I've seen on the topic. Appears to be 12/2 (but perhaps they 'start' on 12/1?): http://www.mstennis.com/newsdetail.asp?ID=474

:confused::confused:

jhp49
11-28-2009, 07:22 PM
I received the email article below form the USTA. However I don't see any evidence in the TennisLink database that new ratings are actually posted. Stats are interesting if they are accurate.

http://www.usta.com/USTA/Global/Active/Custom%20Pages/Leagues/Year_End_Ratings.aspx

fe6250
11-28-2009, 08:21 PM
I received the email article below form the USTA. However I don't see any evidence in the TennisLink database that new ratings are actually posted. Stats are interesting if they are accurate.

http://www.usta.com/USTA/Global/Active/Custom%20Pages/Leagues/Year_End_Ratings.aspx

Sure looks like they've run the 'program' already - perhaps there is another 'posting' process? Good find!

Pompitous of Love
11-29-2009, 05:56 AM

Great data.
Over 30% of players will be bumped.
By quick glance, looks like the 2.5, 3.0, & 3.5 levels will be having a net loss of players. While the 4.0 and 4.5 levels will be adding to their numbers (not counting any new players...which is what USTA is counting on).
Might be trouble finding enough players to fill out Combo and Mixed teams.
I see a spreadsheet in the making. :)

gordo
11-29-2009, 06:26 AM
I put my team in to see if we had anyone get bumped up but no one was bumped. Even my #1 singles player who won every match and never dropped a set. Maybe not everyone has been run through the update software yet?

JavierLW
11-29-2009, 07:54 AM
I put my team in to see if we had anyone get bumped up but no one was bumped. Even my #1 singles player who won every match and never dropped a set. Maybe not everyone has been run through the update software yet?

I think if the date shows 12/31/2009 instead of 12/31/2008 then you know it was updated. (not sure anyone shows up like that yet, havent found any, I suspect we'd hear about it on this board if it was)

I remember last year as it was updating it seemed to show the "changed" ratings before the ones that were unchanged. (which means they really run them ahead of time and know about them, the "find a rating" is just a means of publishing them)

JavierLW
11-29-2009, 07:57 AM
Sure looks like they've run the 'program' already - perhaps there is another 'posting' process? Good find!

That would make sense. Last year I noticed that changed ratings showed up before unchanged ones. (at least concerning people in my area)

"find a rating" must just be a separate database for publishing purposes.

The ratings that show up in the league drill down are separate as well. (usually those dont change until after the "find a rating" results change)

Blade0324
11-29-2009, 08:22 AM
Doesn't look like any changes have been updated in my section as of yet. So I still wait.

Jim A
11-29-2009, 08:22 AM
doesn't look like Intermountain was updated yet, looks like 12/2 is still the go-to date on all of this

fe6250
11-29-2009, 10:45 AM
It appears they have calculated the results but haven't posted the results publically. I would expect that to happen no sooner than Monday and definitely no later than 12/2 but who knows?!

nocab
11-29-2009, 05:31 PM
They're coming in! Most of the ratings have been inputted.

raiden031
11-29-2009, 05:43 PM
:)They're coming in! Most of the ratings have been inputted.

Yep just saw my new un-changed rating. :)

Wow a bunch of my 3.5 friends got bumped up to 4.0. Now I have a chance to win some matches this year.

herrburgess
11-29-2009, 07:23 PM
As suspected, I got the double-bump.

Xisbum
11-30-2009, 08:57 AM
:evil:Now I know why I hate this system. Played 3 matches of 4.0 super seniors to help a friend fill out his team, lost all three, didn't win a set - and got bumped up to 4.0.

Now I'm screwed for the next two to three years, cuz there ain't no way I can play with 4.0 people.

I HATE USTA!!!!!!!!!:evil:

raiden031
11-30-2009, 09:01 AM
:evil:Now I know why I hate this system. Played 3 matches of 4.0 super seniors to help a friend fill out his team, lost all three, didn't win a set - and got bumped up to 4.0.

Now I'm screwed for the next two to three years, cuz there ain't no way I can play with 4.0 people.

I HATE USTA!!!!!!!!!:evil:

You're not thinking 4th dimensionally...you might not be able to play with the previous 4.0 players, but the new 4.0 accomodates many other players just like yourself.

MNPlayer
11-30-2009, 09:02 AM
All of the 3.5 guys on my 4.0 team got bumped up so now we are all 4.0s.
I believe this includes a couple guys who got bumped down from 4.0 to 3.5 at the early starts! Something weird happened.

Perhaps there was a mistake by the USTA but I'd have to look at our results in detail. Edit: Or maybe they just decided to rescale the ratings. I'm surprised there hasn't been an announcement about it if that's the case though.

Xisbum
11-30-2009, 09:10 AM
You're not thinking 4th dimensionally...you might not be able to play with the previous 4.0 players, but the new 4.0 accomodates many other players just like yourself.

Look, I know you mean well because I've heard nothing but praise for you as a young gentleman from mutual friends. But you just don't understand what it means to be 63 years old with a balky knee that could blow at any time and require replacement. Hell, I couldn't compete with most of the previous 3.5s in this area, so there's nothing wrong with my logic - it's based on realism, not wishful thinking. I know what I can and can't do on the tennis court, so please save your Pollyannish pep talk for someone who needs it. Not trying to slam you, just disgusted with USTA - again.

I STILL HATE USTA!!!!!!

raiden031
11-30-2009, 09:14 AM
Look, I know you mean well because I've heard nothing but praise for you as a young gentleman from mutual friends. But you just don't understand what it means to be 63 years old with a balky knee that could blow at any time and require replacement. Hell, I couldn't compete with most of the previous 3.5s in this area, so there's nothing wrong with my logic - it's based on realism, not wishful thinking. I know what I can and can't do on the tennis court, so please save your Pollyannish pep talk for someone who needs it. Not trying to slam you, just disgusted with USTA - again.

I STILL HATE USTA!!!!!!

Its one thing to face injuries and be concerned due to that, but USTA is just going by your performance. Obviously your performance was as good as so many others who got bumped to 4.0 as well. If your game suffers due to injury thats unfortunate, but I don't think what USTA is doing is a bad thing for most/non-injured people.

JoelDali
11-30-2009, 09:23 AM
People complain about getting thrashed by sandbaggers, and now they finally get bumped up, and people still complain.

There just isn't a way to please all the whiney bitter hacks in the world.

The USTA pen is surely out of your reach now.

:)

Xisbum
11-30-2009, 09:25 AM
People complain about getting thrashed by sandbaggers, and now they finally get bumped up, and people still complain.

There just isn't a way to please all the whiney bitter hacks in the world.

The USTA pen is surely out of your reach now.

Please, I wasn't even playing on any 3.5 teams because I'm not good enough - and all the captains know it. And if you can find any post in this forum where I complain about losing to a sandbagger, I'll eat it.

Maybe you should check your facts before you call people bitter. :)

AND I STILL HATE USTA!!!

P.S. And Raiden, if you think degenerative osteoarthritis in a knee that often leads to bone-on-bone pain is an "injury," I truly hope you never have to suffer the experience of expecting every step to be the one that leads directly to major knee surgery.

Cereal68
11-30-2009, 09:27 AM
be thankful if you're not from a state with early start leagues!! Our season began 10/30 and year-end ratings going to devastate our league season. Several of the teams I pay attention to are losing more than half of their players to the next level. Everyone is losing their top 3 or 4 players. Some teams are left without enough players to fill a lineup.

We've been given an opportunity to drop out without losing our deposits if we request to drop by 12/31.

That's nice that they're not going to steal our deposits, but it would have been nice to have a full season! Some teams will re-shuffle and fill their roster, but there were only a few bump ups from 3.0 to 3.5 and we lost a third of our 3.5s to 4.0.

JoelDali
11-30-2009, 09:29 AM
I wasnt at all directing this at you sir, really.

At those in general that are freaked out by playing 4.0s. I think its damn funny ya'll take this damn serious. I mean, really, is USTA league that important? I guess it is.

I'm sure the CEO guy that got his $9 million can't help with this one.

raiden031
11-30-2009, 09:32 AM
P.S. And Raiden, if you think degenerative osteoarthritis in a knee that often leads to bone-on-bone pain is an "injury," I truly hope you never have to suffer the experience of expecting every step to be the one that leads directly to major knee surgery.

Then you have nothing to worry about because USTA will grant you a medical appeal.

janky
11-30-2009, 09:37 AM
Then you have nothing to worry about because USTA will grant you a medical appeal.

Exactly.....

Xisbum
11-30-2009, 09:48 AM
I wasnt at all directing this at you sir, really.

At those in general that are freaked out by playing 4.0s. I think its damn funny ya'll take this damn serious. I mean, really, is USTA league that important? I guess it is.

I'm sure the CEO guy that got his $9 million can't help with this one.

*Sheepish grin* You got me; changing my name to OverreactionBum right away. :oops:

I had already drifted away from USTA League play, but this rating affects all other leagues and tournaments, too. That's what I really like to do these days, and I enjoy pitting my aged skills and experience against the younger "kids." Now I'll likely have to limit my opponents to those my age, and I really hate making any concessions at all to age.

Sorry for the rant. But I still hate USTA. ;-)

GeoffB
11-30-2009, 09:50 AM
I just got bumped up to 4.0 from 3.5, but I wouldn't be surprised if my life gets a little easier, not harder. I've been playing 4.0 exclusively for the last two years anyway, and I went 1-5 the first year (and got bumped down to 3.5), and 3-2 the second year (bumped back up to 4.0).

Over the last two years, I took a couple of serious beat downs. I lost one match 6-0, 6-1, and another 6-1, 6-1. When people expressed surprise (or even irritation) that I was a 3.5 after playing me, I'd try to explain just how far down people were playing these days, and tell them that not only had I gone 1-5 as a 4.0, I'd gotten completely blown out a couple of times. Eking out a narrowly winning record the next year felt like a huge accomplishment (and I still took a 6-1, 6-1 beating in one of the losses).

I just checked tennislink, and the players who pummeled me were bumped up to 4.5, which is where they should be (should have been in the first place, really). I'm not just going by score - I've had some bad losses where I didn't think the guy was out of level, but these were losses where the level of play was clearly too high for 4.0 league.

The overall effect of this rebalancing remains to be seen, but I think people who are worried about the bump-up may not have as bad a time of it as they think. Keep in mind that the killer players at your "new" level probably got bumped up themselves.

JoelDali
11-30-2009, 10:00 AM
*Sheepish grin* You got me; changing my name to OverreactionBum right away. :oops:

I had already drifted away from USTA League play, but this rating affects all other leagues and tournaments, too. That's what I really like to do these days, and I enjoy pitting my aged skills and experience against the younger "kids." Now I'll likely have to limit my opponents to those my age, and I really hate making any concessions at all to age.

Sorry for the rant. But I still hate USTA. ;-)

I didn't think about tourneys...I guess that does throw in another dimension to the widespread misery.

This is definitely freaking out a few captains I know. But again, the USTA simply just cannot please everyone it seems.

I got bumped but I was a HIGHLY (6 figures baby) paid sandbagger. Admittedly. And I don't care. La dee da!

CrocodileRock
11-30-2009, 10:20 AM
Take it easy on the attacks on Xisbum. Being a fan of Tom Petty covers over a multitude of sins.

MNPlayer
11-30-2009, 10:44 AM
This might be a good thing if they are really pushing more people into the upper ratings as long as it's not a linear shift. If they are also pushing people down a bit at the lower end (3.0 to 2.5 or at least leaving those folks alone), then there will be more people at 2.5 and 4.5 which are pretty thin divisions in my section (Northern).

I just played a NTRP tournament this weekend and there were plenty of 3.0, 3.5 and 4.0 players but hardly any 4.5s, and no 2.5s I think. And at least one of the 4.5s was a 4.0 playing up. If there are enough players to support it, why not have more useful divisions?

JoelDali
11-30-2009, 10:54 AM
Take it easy on the attacks on Xisbum. Being a fan of Tom Petty covers over a multitude of sins.

Petty is the man... :)

kylebarendrick
11-30-2009, 10:58 AM
I think Raiden had it about right. It is easy to say "I'm not good enough to play 4.0", but the definition of 4.0 has just changed. A lot of very average 3.5s have been bumped to 4.0 this year, giving those of us just bumped at least some reason to believe we can win a few matches. Play, have fun, and see how things shake out this year.

Xisbum
11-30-2009, 01:27 PM
I think Raiden had it about right. It is easy to say "I'm not good enough to play 4.0", but the definition of 4.0 has just changed. A lot of very average 3.5s have been bumped to 4.0 this year, giving those of us just bumped at least some reason to believe we can win a few matches. Play, have fun, and see how things shake out this year.

Hey, that's me - very average. :)

But you know what? Joel has it right; what the hell. I don't really care anymore. I'll just play with my buddies, drift off into that grey sunset and not miss USTA at all.

Ah, that feels much better. I don't hate USTA anymore; I just pity the fools. :mrgreen:

Xisbum
11-30-2009, 01:29 PM

So does being a Joe Walsh fan. You're okay in my book, dude. :)

"It's hard to leave when you can't find the door."