PDA

View Full Version : Video: My Serves

ilikephobo
11-22-2009, 06:41 AM
Well, its been a while since ive practiced my serves been struggling with the switch from Hawaiian grip to Semi West. But anyways serving has always been something that was really inconsistant for me and it's what's keeping me out of the tournaments at the moment. Any tips and constructive criticism would be very much appreciated

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCohr5BLitQ

here's a video of me just hitting slice serves. i noticed i have a tendency to fall off to the right.....needa fix that..

Nellie
11-22-2009, 07:26 AM
I think that if you toss a little more forward and thought about pushing through and landing with your right hip (rather than rotating around your right leg with the left side of your body), you would get a lot more pace

LeeD
11-22-2009, 09:35 AM
You rush between your serves, not using your brains at all.
Your prep trophy is moving all over the map. Your arm moves and changes locaation. You don't toss into the court at all.
You end up right at the baseline, robbing maybe 20mph serve speeds.
You start 3" behind the baseline, robbing you of angle and pace.
You look athletic and young, strong and fit. So fix the above 5 and post another vid.
You have potential for 120 mph firsts and 75mph head high kicking seconds. You have no chance with your current technique.

ilikephobo
11-22-2009, 09:37 AM
thanks for the advice guys, ill try to make the changes asap

ilikephobo
11-22-2009, 10:04 AM
Oh and LeeD,

are you talking about my tossing arm moving and changing directions? or both my racquet and tossing arm.

and Nellie, i know its pretty broken down but can you break that down even more on how i would go about using my hip more.

LeeD
11-22-2009, 10:09 AM
I actually didn't bother watching your tossing arm, as that will get consistent when the other things come into form.
Your trophy is a moving elbow, very bad for consistency. Your trophy MIGHT be to low also, but some players do use that position.
We can't fix everything at once, so a few suggestions, then a change and fix, before we can continue. Rome wasn't built in one day, nor was the Roman Empire :shock:

teppeiahn1
11-22-2009, 10:51 AM
your simply thinking too hard.
And i sudgest start from basic all over.
you have so much knee bend but no power.
You are wasting energy with too much junk in your motion.
wat you realy want tyo work on first in the toss and swing motion. strong pronation is the key to big service.

once all that is done, you add the legs.

SuperDuy
11-22-2009, 10:56 AM
I think maybe step up to the line abit more, u are 4 inches behind on each serve.

Roy125
11-22-2009, 06:22 PM
Your court seems scarily similar to where I practice with my coach. Say, there isn't a shack to the left of that court is there?

It's a nice serve and I think that it will go far for you if you fix a few things.

ilikephobo
11-22-2009, 06:29 PM
Colina Del Sol, San Diego :D and yes there's a shack and the coach's name is Henry. if its the one i have this week off so ill be around if you wanna hit :D

next to a basketball rec center right?

Roy125
11-22-2009, 06:32 PM
Colina Del Sol, San Diego :D and yes there's a shack and the coach's name is Henry. if its the one i have this week off so ill be around if you wanna hit :D

next to a basketball rec center right?

You look familiar, but I can't tell who you are with that hat. I work with Coach Henry 4 times a week.

ilikephobo
11-22-2009, 06:35 PM
are you one of the younger kids that trains with coach henry?

yeah it was really cold that night my whole bag got wet cuz of the misty fog.

but ill be there in the morning tomorrow. 9:30 i believe. and in the afternoon at around maybe 5-6 because i gotta drop off a racquet i strung for someone

Roy125
11-22-2009, 06:39 PM
I'm actually one of the older kids (15 years old). Do you go to my school or something? Phhs?

ilikephobo
11-22-2009, 06:40 PM
oh my god are you serious? you even go to my school?

Roy125
11-22-2009, 06:42 PM
oh my god are you serious? you even go to my school?

??? Who are you?

ilikephobo
11-22-2009, 06:43 PM
hmmm so im guessing ur a sophomore because you're as old as i am... how come you werent on the team last year?

Roy125
11-22-2009, 06:47 PM
hmmm so im guessing ur a sophomore because you're as old as i am... how come you werent on the team last year?

Just for personal reasons. You were on the team last year?

ilikephobo
11-22-2009, 06:49 PM
yeah, do you any other way of talking, dont feel like spilling my info over TT. but yeah im a sophomore from PHHS and i play once in a while at Colina. i dont take lessons from Henry tho but i know the guy. do you know Robert and David Chau

most of the time i see Henry coaching little kids.

but dude if you want to come out and hit tomorrow that'd be cool. I'm dying to hit with someone with some pace =P

Roy125
11-22-2009, 06:52 PM
yeah, do you any other way of talking, dont feel like spilling my info over TT. but yeah im a sophomore from PHHS and i play once in a while at Colina. i dont take lessons from Henry tho but i know the guy. do you know Robert and David Chau

most of the time i see Henry coaching little kids.

but dude if you want to come out and hit tomorrow that'd be cool. I'm dying to hit with someone with some pace =P

I think that I know who you are now. I don't think that I'm the person you want to hit with though, we haven't had a good conversation in many years.

ilikephobo
11-22-2009, 06:53 PM
didja go to lewis?

Roy125
11-22-2009, 06:55 PM
didja go to lewis? im Vincent T.

Yes I did go to lewis middle school. And Oak Park.

ilikephobo
11-22-2009, 06:57 PM
daaamn, same with me, do you know who i am cuz i have no clue who you are.

Roy125
11-22-2009, 07:00 PM
daaamn, same with me, do you know who i am cuz i have no clue who you are.

Ok 3 years ago, on the bus, you asked me if I was bisexual. Do you remember that?

ilikephobo
11-22-2009, 07:01 PM
i dont think so.... are you tho, i had a hunch

Roy125
11-22-2009, 07:03 PM
Yes, I am. You seriously don't remember that? It's ingrained in my head.

Edit: and you mentioned my full name.

ilikephobo
11-22-2009, 07:11 PM
nope not at all. but i just remembered hearing a rumour like that..
well im sorry about that.

well okay. but if you want to hit anytime feel free to ask.

Roy125
11-22-2009, 07:18 PM
nope not at all. but i just remembered hearing a rumour like that..
well im sorry about that.

well okay. but if you want to hit anytime feel free to ask.

That's cool. I also just figured out what your username means. You like pho bo. Really nice username.:)

ilikephobo
11-22-2009, 07:25 PM
well cool awesome, glad we can clear that up. But if you want to hit sometime this week. work on stuff thatd be awesome.

are you and bobert trying out this year?

Roy125
11-22-2009, 07:30 PM
well cool awesome, glad we can clear that up. But if you want to hit sometime this week. work on stuff thatd be awesome.

are you and bobert trying out this year?

Yes we are going to try out this year. I heard that a guy named Brett was really good on the tennis team last year wasn't he?

ilikephobo
11-22-2009, 07:39 PM
he was a senior and i didnt see him play that much but he was really good and hopefully this year i will fill his spot

Roy125
11-22-2009, 07:40 PM
What's your playing style in tennis?

Cup8489
11-22-2009, 07:45 PM
uh..what's up with the random spamming. get an AIM account, don't stack up posts in here. your thread or not.

junbumkim
11-22-2009, 08:18 PM
Your technique in general seems good. You keep your head and left arm up. You are going up for the ball.

Suggestions that I have is that your toss might be too high. You might be making it high so that you can get that extra knee bend.

Speaking of knee bend, I think it's too much. It should just be enough to give you the natural hip-stretch. In your motion, your left knee is almost touching the ground.

Your stance is also really closed, almost like McEnroe's. With such a closed stance, it's easier to get the rotation esp kickers, but it's harder to get that forward mometum.
You might want to try to bring your left foot more in line with your right foot.

My last suggestion is to explode INTO the court. Again, this might be becasue your stance is so closed. Look where you land after a serve. You are landing RIGHT where you pushed off. Usually players have enough forward mometum that they land AT LEAST half a foot into the court.

So, once you get rid of the excess knee bend, you won't have to toss as high and you will also have better balance.

Storm_Kyori
11-23-2009, 07:34 PM
phobo, sup man. Well yur serve reminds me of a friend's friend who I hit with a long time ago.

You have a lot of knee bend, wish I some more than i do.

Anyway, this guy went down probably as far as you do or slightly more, but like I would tell my friend, all that bend goes nowhere, or just doesn't go into your serve. I think because of all that knee bend you focus on keeping your balance and that stops you from exploding into your serve. You're like a spring that's coiling down, but instead of shooting back up you go to the right side, (behind you). IMO, that causes a kink in your kinetic chain. You don't have that momentum into the serve. I have that probelm too, I'm trying to move my body into the serve so I step into the court.

Here's my serve. I also kick out my foot like you do, but opposite since i'm a rightie.

http://www.vimeo.com/7559762

I stay rather still, but my momentum goes up I think rather than to the side or into my serve where it should.

Take small steps to improve on your serve. Try first tossing the ball more into the court. see how that works. then you can start working around to what works best. I you try to do all this changes at once, you might get discouraged when you don't see results immediately.
Good luck.