PDA

View Full Version : silicone in racket handle for tennis elbow

mark999
11-22-2009, 07:49 AM
developed slight case of tennis elbow this summer. after reading various posts concerning prevention by changing rackets, has anybody tried adding silicone inside the racket handle to dampen the vibrations? present racket has a stiffness rating of 71.

yemenmocha
11-22-2009, 08:44 AM
developed slight case of tennis elbow this summer. after reading various posts concerning prevention by changing rackets, has anybody tried adding silicone inside the racket handle to dampen the vibrations? present racket has a stiffness rating of 71.

Go to the forum on grips. There's the Gosen replacement grip that you can buy which is no longer produced, but it will require being bent over. There's also sorbothane type strips that you can add.

chess9
11-22-2009, 12:39 PM
Mark, that's a pretty stiff racquet for someone with elbow problems. Have you tried lowering the tension and using a soft multi-filament?

-Robert

star 5 15
11-22-2009, 12:42 PM
silicon doeasnt effect the feel of the racquet and wont help.

mark999
11-22-2009, 01:08 PM
Mark, that's a pretty stiff racquet for someone with elbow problems. Have you tried lowering the tension and using a soft multi-filament?

-Robert

being using prince multifilament @57lbs. used to string at around 53lbs. didn't think going up 4 lbs. would cause a problem. have 10 of these rackets so i'd like see if i can save them. the gosen sorbothane looks interesting, but it's very expensive.

mark999
11-22-2009, 01:12 PM

could you explain why not? is this from personal experience or is there a scientific reason it will not work.

BreakPoint
11-22-2009, 01:31 PM
I think the members here that are playtesting the TW prototypes with silicone injected in the handles would beg to differ. All have reported how comfortable the racquets feel with silicone injected in the handles, so it certainly does change the feel.

junbumkim
11-22-2009, 02:15 PM
I don't know if it makes difference.

I have put in silicone in the handle to change the balance, but I don't remember if it made the racket any more comfortable.

star 5 15
11-22-2009, 02:51 PM
I think the members here that are playtesting the TW prototypes with silicone injected in the handles would beg to differ. All have reported how comfortable the racquets feel with silicone injected in the handles, so it certainly does change the feel.

I have used pro stock racquets from austria, head frames, that ahve silicon in them and I ahve removed it and onviously it made it heavier but I noticed no difference in feeling in the racquet. I don't want to quote Ron Yu or anything on this but my understanding when I asked him about this was that you feel the vibration before it even got to the silicon. I asked him before he did my babolat frames.

mark999
11-22-2009, 05:31 PM
thanks for all replies. going to try injecting silicone into one racket and see if it has any effect. will also try to get some sorbothane film from mcmaster-carr and wrap it around my handle after i remove the original grip. will report back my findings.

mark999
11-22-2009, 05:40 PM
I have used pro stock racquets from austria, head frames, that ahve silicon in them and I ahve removed it and onviously it made it heavier but I noticed no difference in feeling in the racquet. I don't want to quote Ron Yu or anything on this but my understanding when I asked him about this was that you feel the vibration before it even got to the silicon. I asked him before he did my babolat frames.

so, i assume you are saying that the vibrations are traveling on both the inside and outside of the frame. would placing vibration absorbing material (say on the frame neck) be a better way of reducing frame vibration before it gets to the handle. i think i'll try the sorbothane in this manner also. thanks for the info star 5 15.

autumn_leaf
11-22-2009, 06:14 PM
thanks for all replies. going to try injecting silicone into one racket and see if it has any effect. will also try to get some sorbothane film from mcmaster-carr and wrap it around my handle after i remove the original grip. will report back my findings.

i suggest doing one or the other for an extended period of time if you want to find out which one helps. otherwise go ahead with both. gl.

junbumkim
11-22-2009, 08:57 PM
By the way, you should remember that it's really difficult to remove silicon after you inject them.

And, it is going to change the weight and balance of the racket.

By the time shock or vibration reaches silicone, it is already down at the handle, which means that your body is feeling it already. So I doubt if it has any dampening effect.

jmjmkim
11-23-2009, 12:02 AM
Funny that silicone is mentioned. On another thread, I asked if my Rebel had a removable handle butt cap, to which I got no answers. My Rebel developed a rattle inside the racket, so after a long period of "denial", I made the move to take off the grip, work my screwdriver to remove the nasty 4 Staples, and remove the butt cap. I thought the frame would be hollow, and that the rattle thing would drop out.
To my surprise, there was a whole lot of Silicone blocking the opening. Needless to say, I took a long scredriver, and other various tools form my garage, and scooped out the silicon. (It was a tedious task,,,,)
I was concerned that it would alter my racket somehow, including possibly the total weight, and the balance (swing weight). I saved all the material that came out and kind of examined it to see how much of it there was. Since I did not have a scale (gram & ounce), I can't tell you how much weight was removed.

Anyway, now the rattle is gone, that's good. As for the feel of the racket, being a recreational player, I can't tell the difference. The racket feels just as good as it ever has, plus, now i don't have that annoying rattle.

As far as reducing vibration? Even on off center hits, the racket still feels solid to me. I love my REBEL.!

snoopy
11-23-2009, 01:04 AM
Rather than going full guns and filling your handle with sillicone (unless you want the extra weight), I would first try a suggestion that the poster Brent Pederson (i think) mentioned. He suggests just putting a dab of silicone in your buttcap. This should dampen some vibrations.

As far as I can tell, this is what Volkl does with their Sensor handles. They appear to be nothing more than rubberized material in the buttcap. Volk's have a reputation for being arm friendly, so maybe it works.

If it doesn't work, you only have to replace the butt cap rather than ruin a racquet.

chess9
11-23-2009, 04:50 AM
being using prince multifilament @57lbs. used to string at around 53lbs. didn't think going up 4 lbs. would cause a problem. have 10 of these rackets so i'd like see if i can save them. the gosen sorbothane looks interesting, but it's very expensive.

Well, some guys with tennis elbow string very low-like at 40 lbs. So, 57 sounds quite high if you have sensitive elbows.

Good luck, mate!

-Robert

pennc94
08-03-2012, 11:55 AM

Did you try the sorbothane film? If so, which thickness did you use and did you feel any difference?

txt858
08-03-2012, 01:44 PM
I have silicone up all of my racquets. I've injected about 4-5 inches worth of silicone inside the handle. Why 4-5 inches you ask? Because it's about the length of your forehand grip on the handle. To me the silicone does help minimize the little minute vibration. To me it also make the racquet feel more solid. It does add a lot of weight to the racquet. So if you don't lead up your racquet at the head, then it's going to be really headlight. To me, it really does make the racquet play better and this was done to an AeroPro Drive (Cortex and GT).