PDA

View Full Version : Forehand - Drop down takeback vs Loop

guedoguedo
11-22-2009, 01:09 PM
I have found that for me the 'drop the racket down with a loose wrist preparation" works better for me than the big wind up that a lot of pros use. Maybe less moving parts to screw up. Is there any reason why to advocate one over the other?

Here is the drop down takeback displayed by marcel granollers during a point
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTCN1DGGhd8

Here is the modern loop displayed by the djoker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbDzsGqqNYo

Blake0
11-22-2009, 01:43 PM
A straight take back (drop down) helps you keep better timing, because of the less time it takes compared to the loop backswing.

A loop backswing is good to add more power in your shot by the increase of momentum.

Both are fine in my oppinion, but one sacrifices power for timing, while the other sacrifices timing for power. Overall i'd rather have someone use a loop backswing, but a straight take back whenever needed.

ahile02
11-22-2009, 01:58 PM
I'd like to hear some input on how "deep" the backswing should be (how far the racquet should go toward the back fence)

paulfreda
11-22-2009, 03:05 PM
Note that Venus uses a big loop on the FH but an immediate drop back on the BH.

How deep would depend on the shot coming to you; normal ball drop back could have the racquet parallel to the court pointing at the back fence for a big hit while a quick ball could have the frame hardly past your leg for a quick response.

LeeD
11-22-2009, 03:17 PM
Kidding?
Straight takeback for engineers and mechanical strokers.
Late loopey takeback for athletes and gifted.
Since we're mostly in between, use either than gets you in time to hit the ball.
Counter... McEnroe was gifted, but used straight takeback.

OliverSimon
11-22-2009, 06:38 PM
If you want to see a real loopy forehand check out my boy Jose Acasuso.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QbCBFH9yZU

Blake0
11-22-2009, 10:46 PM
I'd like to hear some input on how "deep" the backswing should be (how far the racquet should go toward the back fence)

It shouldn't go too far back..so say the deepest would be right behind you (if someone watched your forehand directly in front of you, your racket shouldn't be seen looping behind your body, like jose acasuso does in the video posted above.

Basically keep it a bit shorter(shorter then mentioned above) on normal groundstroke rallies, wind up more to hit harder, wind up less to hit back harder incoming balls.

xFullCourtTenniSx
11-23-2009, 06:50 AM
If you want to see a real loopy forehand check out my boy Jose Acasuso.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QbCBFH9yZU

What are his serve speed numbers? His form is so incredibly relaxed compared to most pros I see! :shock: It's like watching a 10 year old junior with a 100+ mph serve! :shock:

LeeD
11-23-2009, 06:53 AM
He looks relaxed for sure.
Unless he's 7' tall, his serves are slow compared to his level of tennis.
Relaxing is one thing. Lackdaisical is not far away and NOT good.
See the vids of a lackdaisical Federer just hitting bored and the ones on Youzny. They play MATCHES like that, and 5.5 can hang with them. But other 7.0's would smoke them.
You gotta relax to play well, but you can't go around smoking dubes and falling asleep.

DavaiMarat
11-23-2009, 12:55 PM
Kidding?
Straight takeback for engineers and mechanical strokers.
Late loopey takeback for athletes and gifted.
Since we're mostly in between, use either than gets you in time to hit the ball.
Counter... McEnroe was gifted, but used straight takeback.

I don't exactly agree with this. THere are so many different ways to hit the ball and it usually depend on what you are trying to do or the flight of the incoming ball. From the clip, MG is trying to take a rising ball off a clay court probably struck with oodles of spin. So he's shorten his back swing to is hitting more through the court using the rise of the incoming ball for elevation (ie a rising ball hit flat will still rise). However, I bet you if he was 7 feet behind the baseline and the ball was falling he would swing very differently.

Mike

LeeD
11-23-2009, 02:48 PM
Take a poll. Include most lefties as loopy, righties as straighTER takebacks.
I've done it informally, a questionairre at GoldenGateParks 21 paid courts, over 300 examples. Add lawyers with engineers and doctors.

KiNG
11-24-2009, 09:07 AM
I don't exactly agree with this. THere are so many different ways to hit the ball and it usually depend on what you are trying to do or the flight of the incoming ball. From the clip, MG is trying to take a rising ball off a clay court probably struck with oodles of spin. So he's shorten his back swing to is hitting more through the court using the rise of the incoming ball for elevation (ie a rising ball hit flat will still rise). However, I bet you if he was 7 feet behind the baseline and the ball was falling he would swing very differently.

Mike

No. Granollers ALWAYS swings like that.