PDA

View Full Version : I'm 18, should I be playing in adult leagues?

ogruskie
11-22-2009, 08:25 PM
Hello everybody. A little background about myself: I'm 18, going to a community college. I played on the varsity team back in high school, but outside of that I have no competitive experience. I won't be able to play on the college team this upcoming season because of my class schedule, but hopefully will get a chance in the years afterward.

Meanwhile I'd like to play with some good players in order to improve myself. I've played with some of the top players on the college team, and while I put up a good fight, I still lost. So I'd like to participate in some competitive leagues in order to improve my match mentality.

So the question is: Should I be playing in adult leagues, or junior leagues? As an 18 year old I'm technically an adult, right? I want to play challenging players but not completely get demolished. I'm a little lost here. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

innoVAShaun
11-23-2009, 03:50 AM
From my experience with the 18 yo juniors here, you can play adult leagues. The minimum age is 19 but you can start playing that same calender year. So if your 19th birthday is in december, you could've played last spring.

There was an 18yo playing at our USTA/VA state districts that just graduated last spring. I heard he placed at state in high school. He mopped the floor with all the other 4.0 singles players at districts.

86golf
11-23-2009, 05:26 AM
Go for it if you can find a team to play on. You could probably be an asset to a 4.5 team if you are competitive with college level players. It will be cheaper for you to play adult leagues than jr. tournaments. Although, based on my experience, the top jr's are better than the higher level adult leagues (4.5,5.0). Our top jr.'s are more like 5.5 level.
Good luck either way.

SlapChop
11-23-2009, 06:00 AM
Does your community college have a club team or tennis on campus? You should be able to play USTA adult events. That would be your best bet for some competitive tennis if you can not play with the school.

goran_ace
11-23-2009, 07:29 AM
I think you should play adult leagues AND junior tournaments.

sunshinez
11-23-2009, 08:10 AM
The new rules as of this year allow 18 to play adult leagues.
Go for it.

LuckyR
11-24-2009, 11:35 AM
It depends where in the year your birthday falls. Some 18 year olds do not qualify for the 18 and unders.

Tennisman912
11-25-2009, 02:09 PM
innoVAShaun,

Anyone who places well at state in HS is no where near a 4.0 and should be DQ IMHO. How that could be fun for someone is beyond me. I can't imagine that not being the case in every state.

Agruskie,

I don’t think someone who plays on a college team should be able to play USTA until they are done with college. They should play open or tournament tennis. Just my opinion. But I assume you mean club tennis and if that is the case, then you can and should play USTA tennis. I must admit I have never seen a supposed college player not play college tennis who could because of his class schedule. That is a new one for me.

Best of luck and being in community college, I say play.

TM

rogernext
11-27-2009, 10:30 PM
Hello everybody. A little background about myself: I'm 18, going to a community college. I played on the varsity team back in high school, but outside of that I have no competitive experience. I won't be able to play on the college team this upcoming season because of my class schedule, but hopefully will get a chance in the years afterward.

Meanwhile I'd like to play with some good players in order to improve myself. I've played with some of the top players on the college team, and while I put up a good fight, I still lost. So I'd like to participate in some competitive leagues in order to improve my match mentality.

So the question is: Should I be playing in adult leagues, or junior leagues? As an 18 year old I'm technically an adult, right? I want to play challenging players but not completely get demolished. I'm a little lost here. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Yes, go ahead. watch out for the cougars though. they may look innocent but they will be preying on you in no time.:)