PDA

View Full Version : Cheaters seem to prosper in tennis

Klaus
11-23-2009, 04:50 PM
I play with a man who I think cheats. Every single time we've played a match, he has either taken a game away from me by misstating the score (1-4, instead of the real score 1-5) or, adds a game to his score. The first time it happened, I thought I had won, but he said I had 5 instead of 6, and I believed him. Hours later, I realized I had been duped. After that, there has always been a point in the match where I dispute the score, and he always stands corrected and apologizes after we backtrack and go over the games.

Is this tactic common? I have to admit, I am not very careful with scorekeeping, usually trusting my opponent, and have learned a good lesson.
He has been playing since he was 7, and was taught mostly by his older brother.

What is it with people?

damazing
11-23-2009, 05:10 PM
Do you have a good time when you play him? Is it a challenging match?

I see a few things you could do in this situation -

1. Call out the score after each point
2. Write down the score after each game
3. Get a score keeping doohickey
4. Stop playing with him
5. Call him a cheater loudly and often and complain about him to whoever you can find until he is turned into a pariah in your area and won't be able to play there again
6. Start each match by calling out the score 1-0 in your favor, explain that since he give's himself games you will counteract that by awarding yourself one game at the start before play has commenced
7. Call out the score in swahili after each game and say he shouldn't complain since one of you is keeping the correct score
8. Hire an official scorekeeper to stand by the court and hold up cards with the score written on them (this will also help in any foot faulting disputes)

JavierLW
11-23-2009, 05:20 PM
I play with a man who I think cheats. Every single time we've played a match, he has either taken a game away from me by misstating the score (1-4, instead of the real score 1-5) or, adds a game to his score. The first time it happened, I thought I had won, but he said I had 5 instead of 6, and I believed him. Hours later, I realized I had been duped. After that, there has always been a point in the match where I dispute the score, and he always stands corrected and apologizes after we backtrack and go over the games.

Is this tactic common? I have to admit, I am not very careful with scorekeeping, usually trusting my opponent, and have learned a good lesson.

What is it with people?

Ive seen that quite a few times as well. Usually more when I was in HIGH SCHOOL, but occasionally it happens with adults.

(I mean the ones where it seems to be the same person where it's a definate pattern)

My favorite is when you call them on it, and try to recite the facts, and all they can say is "I AM SURE THAT IT WAS.....".

But Id have to say that if you forget the score yourself and you cant accurately recall everything that happened, then these people will have a field day with you.

Sure it's not cool, but people do it. Either dont play them again, or make sure you use score cards and flip them for every game.

There was a guy in a club league like that once, and I started a "fan club" for him where whenever someone was scheduled to play him, they would call me up and Id find them a sub so they didnt have to play him. I figured maybe he'd get the hint when he finds he's playing a sub every single week, but that's not very likely.

Ripper014
11-23-2009, 05:37 PM
You find all types of people that play. I have played in leagues where after a match someone watching told me that anything within 12 inches of the line was being called out... on both the service line and the baseline. I play with people now that call very tight line calls... if I am playing doubles I will correct my partner, but what I try and do is to compliment my opponent before my partner can make that bad call.

As far as keeping score... all I can do is re-iterate what a previous person said... announce the set score at the beginning of every game... and the game score after each point.

Ripper014
11-23-2009, 05:40 PM
On a side note... as far as cheaters prospering... I am not so sure... they may win the matches... but I am not so sure they gain anything in the end. Eventually the get weeded out and osterized.

Oldracquet27
11-23-2009, 05:53 PM
If they win by cheating, they might win one match or two, but not always. I always think that if you are the better player that day it will take a lot of bad calls or at least couple in very very crucial points of the match to really lose if you are playing a cheater. I normally do not argue too much about calls unless is very important match and it happened more than twice. Remember that sometimes people make mistakes and is not their intention to cheat, otherwise, why do you think pros now have the system to challenge calls? One person in every line plus the umpire sometimes is not even enough!!!!
Focus on your game and find a way to counteract any lost points....

slice bh compliment
11-23-2009, 06:49 PM
Done. I'm taking the nearest Swahili class.

Cindysphinx
11-23-2009, 08:16 PM
Are you guys Low Talkers?

Get him to announce the score audibly before every point, and you do the same. Works every time.

beernutz
11-23-2009, 08:27 PM

What is it with people?

WHY do you continue to play with such a person?

West Coast Ace
11-23-2009, 08:39 PM
Are you guys Low Talkers?

Get him to announce the score audibly before every point, and you do the same. Works every time.Thank you.

WHY do you continue to play with such a person?Thank you too. That is really what it's about - the cheaters only continue to get away with it because people won't stand up to them or stop playing with them.

slice bh compliment
11-24-2009, 05:17 AM
You know cheaters don't actually prosper in the long run. They steal a few points here and there, sure.
Then they get to a good level, and there are linespeople and they're busted.
If not, they get a reputation. Then they become addicited to cheating....while suffering from a bad rep.

I've seen it at the junior level and at the beginner adult level. I'm buddies with a guy now (we drill a lot) who used to be a chronic hook in DI college tennis (back before there were this many linespeople). He's a nice guy underneath it all, but...yeah...a reformed hook who dabbled in score manipulation. He is completely embarrassed about it....but he's moved on.

Have an honest conversation with your boy there, Klaus. Get it over with and play some tennis. Happy tennis.

Dgpsx7
11-24-2009, 05:23 AM
I don't think cheaters prosper at all. You can tell a lot about a person by playing a tennis match against them. If someone cheats not only would people not respect that person but no one would want to be around them either. Someone who cheats is like someone who always lies, everybody knows about it and they just end up being a loser in life.

mikeler
11-24-2009, 05:38 AM
With point scoring problems, just take the initiative to call the score before serving AND receiving. I'm guessing your "friend" does not call score before he serves.

With regards to game scoring, this one is easy if he is trying to add or subtract games. Whoever starts the set serving will always be on that same side serving on games 5 and 9 and the tiebreaker.

GeoffB
11-24-2009, 08:54 AM
Unfortunately, this is true, tennis is a sport where cheaters can do very well. I love the game, but an unofficiated match presents a huge number of opportunities for a determined cheater.

First, it's very hard to honestly call the lines. Let's face it, on a well struck shot, the ball is basically a blur, and the rules require that a player be certain of a call. So a player who really follows this rule is already at a big disadvantage in a close match against someone who isn't a terrible cheater, but goes with a "likely" standard instead of a "certain" one.

And then, of course, there are the skilled cheaters. These folks will often make good (even generous) calls during unimportant points, but will hook you at crucial moments. For instance, suppose you're hitting a second serve at 4-5, 30-40, and it clearly lands in close to the line, but a cheating opponent calls it out. You essentially have no recourse. You could try the (morally dubious) strategy of calling one of your opponents close shots out, but you probably won't have an equal opportunity to do this on set point. You can call over a tournament official, but all calls made up to that point will stand.

The saving grace for tennis is that 1) it actually is usually played by honorable people, and 2) cheaters develop reputations. If you're playing a known cheater, and you're sure of it, you might want to dispute a close call early and call over a lines judge (that said, very skilled cheaters will wait until a critical moment to strike, so you many not get this opportunity until it's too late...)

jazzyfunkybluesy
11-24-2009, 09:02 AM
I always call out cheaters and never play with them again.

papatenis
11-24-2009, 09:32 AM
Accept him for what he is. His cheating stems from some mental issue he had when he was young, (life time cheater)

I think junior players deal with it the best. When they play a known cheater at a tournament, they either get an umpire or they cheat right back.

Klaus
11-24-2009, 09:33 AM
I took him off my list. Life's too short and I have scads of other challenging people with whom I can play. Thanks folks! To my US and A comrades: happy Thanksgiving!

CindySphinx: You are half right--he is a low-talker. I always proclaimed the score, but would sometimes forget it, to my disadvantage. Gingko biloba has been ordered!

fruitytennis1
11-24-2009, 04:54 PM
Accept him for what he is. His cheating stems from some mental issue he had when he was young, (life time cheater)

I think junior players deal with it the best. When they play a known cheater at a tournament, they either get an umpire or they cheat right back.

Agreed. We are awesome aren't we even though we are majority of cheaters. Hmm upcoming tourny this friday: time to call in the line judges.

Steady Eddy
11-24-2009, 07:52 PM
Cheaters DO prosper, and this proves we live in a godless universe. :(

kelawai
11-24-2009, 08:26 PM
Cheater win most of the time unless you stop playing with them.

They can question your call but you can't

You don't feel good at night when you think you make one bad call on your side and win the set. But they sleep like a baby when they cheat from beginning to the end and win.

Not to mention, cheater come to the court and never open new can of ball.

Cindysphinx
11-24-2009, 08:30 PM
I took him off my list. Life's too short and I have scads of other challenging people with whom I can play. Thanks folks! To my US and A comrades: happy Thanksgiving!

CindySphinx: You are half right--he is a low-talker. I always proclaimed the score, but would sometimes forget it, to my disadvantage. Gingko biloba has been ordered!

Be careful with those Low Talkers, Klaus. You don't want to wind up looking like this:

http://thepopcouture.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/inside-dvd-seinfeld.jpg