PDA

View Full Version : I Want to Save My 2 Handed Backhand :(

Roy125
11-23-2009, 07:35 PM
First of all sorry for putting out so many topics in a couple of days. I just need some immediate advice about a lot of things that have been bugging me since I started playing tennis.

My main problem right now is one that has been bugging me since I started playing tennis. I play with a 2 handed backhand and I have always felt that it has been too restricted and that my 2 arms are out of sync. It's extremely disappointing when this leads to easy loss of control and difficulty in hitting a ball with pace out of the service boxes. I just felt like giving up when I dropped a ball, hit it with my backhand, and I felt that it was hard to actually make it hit the baseline. It's also discouraging when I see people that have played for a lesser time than me to have better backhands than me.

I'm just wondering if I should give up my 2 handed backhand.

snr
11-23-2009, 08:00 PM
I woudn't; though its hard to tell what you're doing wrong without a video.

For me what I found is the most important aspect of the 2handed backhand is the hip rotation, that is where your power comes from. to do this though, you must make sure your hip is actually rotating.

I didn't realize until my coach told me and fixed it was that my hips were very locked.

Roy125
11-23-2009, 08:15 PM
It's the most important aspect? I thought that the shoulders were.

Jonny S&V
11-23-2009, 08:19 PM

If you're using your shoulders on a two-handed backhand, no wonder you seem "out of sync." The core should be the main thing utilized, along with the left hand. Try to hit a lefty, eastern forehand. Make sure that you choke up to where your left hand would be on a two-hander, and try to follow through around your opposite shoulder. Than, after you get this down, add the right arm and try to coordinate your movements smoothly, not worrying about power or depth at the beginning.

Roy125
11-23-2009, 08:22 PM
If you're using your shoulders on a two-handed backhand, no wonder you seem "out of sync." The core should be the main thing utilized, along with the left hand. Try to hit a lefty, eastern forehand. Make sure that you choke up to where your left hand would be on a two-hander, and try to follow through around your opposite shoulder. Than, after you get this down, add the right arm and try to coordinate your movements smoothly, not worrying about power or depth at the beginning.

OMG, I cannot believe that I have been doing the wrong thing for months now. I'll practice this on the wall. I feel like I'm starting over with my 2 handed backhand now...:cry:

Jonny S&V
11-23-2009, 08:27 PM
OMG, I cannot believe that I have been doing the wrong thing for months now. I'll practice this on the wall. I feel like I'm starting over with my 2 handed backhand now...:cry:

Lol, it's all good, but the shoulder are the primary muscle in a "1"-handed backhand, so somewhere along the lines those two must have been switched in your mind.

Roy125
11-23-2009, 08:44 PM
Lol, it's all good, but the shoulder are the primary muscle in a "1"-handed backhand, so somewhere along the lines those two must have been switched in your mind.

Lol I think that might be it. So to sum it up, the main things to a 2 handed backhand are your core, hips, and left arm?

Jonny S&V
11-23-2009, 08:47 PM
Lol I think that might be it. So to sum it up, the main things to a 2 handed backhand are your core, hips, and left arm?

Yeah, but the order of importance should be arm, hips, than core. You can't use the hips if your left arm isn't correct, and you can't use your core if your hips and left arm aren't right.

Roy125
11-23-2009, 08:52 PM
Yeah, but the order of importance should be arm, hips, than core. You can't use the hips if your left arm isn't correct, and you can't use your core if your hips and left arm aren't right.

Thanks for your help. I'm so glad that I can now learn the proper way to hit a 2 handed backhand. Without your information, I would have been stumped for a long time. I developed my forehand as a weapon to make up for my weak backhand. Now I'm hoping that I can turn my backhand up to that level as well.:)

Jonny S&V
11-23-2009, 08:54 PM
Thanks for your help. I'm so glad that I can now learn the proper way to hit a 2 handed backhand. Without your information, I would have been stumped for a long time. I developed my forehand as a weapon to make up for my weak backhand. Now I'm hoping that I can turn my backhand up to that level as well.:)

My question for you is do you have a coach or someone who knows the game well enough to tell you if you are doing something right? I would find someone if you don't, this is the simple and painless way to help iron out a bad stroke.

Roy125
11-23-2009, 08:59 PM
Yeah I do have a coach that's pretty good at fixing mistakes in tennis players. I'm surprised that he didn't catch this. He's usually pretty on point on specific things in tennis as well. Maybe it's because he uses a 1 handed backhand, but I really don't know why he didn't find this mistake.

Jonny S&V
11-23-2009, 09:07 PM
Yeah I do have a coach that's pretty good at fixing mistakes in tennis players. I'm surprised that he didn't catch this. He's usually pretty on point on specific things in tennis as well. Maybe it's because he uses a 1 handed backhand, but I really don't know why he didn't find this mistake.

If you feel like you aren't getting the results that you think you should be getting, than feel free to post a video on here, I'm sure B.B. (Bungalo Bill) and others that are more experienced in technical matters would be glad to help.

Roy125
11-23-2009, 09:22 PM
If you feel like you aren't getting the results that you think you should be getting, than feel free to post a video on here, I'm sure B.B. (Bungalo Bill) and others that are more experienced in technical matters would be glad to help.

I would absolutely love to make a video, but I don't have the resources for it. Stupid texting charge!:-?

Jonny S&V
11-23-2009, 09:30 PM
I would absolutely love to make a video, but I don't have the resources for it. Stupid texting charge!:-?

You could get/borrow a digital camera with video capabilities.

Blake0
11-23-2009, 09:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=xstf#p/u/0/2PvSJP7CRZM

Great video on pro's backhand..maybe ur doing some of these fundamentals incorrectly?

Roy125
11-23-2009, 09:35 PM
You could get/borrow a digital camera with video capabilities.

Well that could work. I just have to convince my parents to let me take a video of myself and post it online.

Jonny S&V
11-23-2009, 09:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=xstf#p/u/0/2PvSJP7CRZM

Great video on pro's backhand..maybe ur doing some of these fundamentals incorrectly?

That's a good video, nice find!

Safin is probably one of the best pros to imitate, IMO, so here ya go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qryuUZL31d0

Notice how his left hand drives through the ball while the right hand is just there for the ride? And how his hips snap into the ball, which is obvious even in slo-motion.

Nellie
11-24-2009, 05:54 AM
I find that if you are overly-arming the 2hbh, it helps a lot to practice holding the racquet with only the thumb and index finger of the forehand-side hand to stabilize the racquet. This allows the backhand side arm to lead the stroke to achieve a more desired swing path. Just remember to bring the racquet back straight, get underneath the ball prior to contact, and finish over the shoulder, and you will develop a nice, natural swing path.

spacediver
11-24-2009, 07:40 AM

what is the difference between hips and core, in this context?

fuzz nation
11-24-2009, 08:18 AM

Sometimes I think that details can get lost in translation. The importance of the shoulders with the 2hbh isn't so much about those muscles, but more about the turn or rotation of your shoulders around the top of your core. The actual muscles in your shoulders aren't responsible for contributing a lot of energy to the shot, but the turning of your shoulders as a unit through contact (with your spine as the axis) really helps to fire the stroke. Obviously if you left your shoulders and the top of your chest facing the side fence as you tried to swing at the ball with just your arms, the racquet would be really held up. Simply put, a step and a turn

To get a good release of the racquet through the hitting zone, I often encourage people I coach to let their left arm (for a right hander) comfortably extend through the contact area. Depending on what you're doing with your stroke now, that feeling of extending your trailing arm may give you good leverage and acceleration as you swing through the ball. Keep it smooth, comfortable, and balanced with a good weight transfer.

Roy125
11-24-2009, 08:45 AM
And another thing, I don't need to lift weights for my left arm do I, since it's significantly weaker than my right arm.

Blake0
11-24-2009, 08:42 PM
And another thing, I don't need to lift weights for my left arm do I, since it's significantly weaker than my right arm.

Uhm..you have to lift weights with your left hand too..even if you never use your left hand for any hitting in tennis. It's important to keep your muscles balanced, it prevents injuries, and also it keeps 1 arm from being bigger then the other..which might look weird if it gets too severe..

sir_shanks_alot
11-25-2009, 02:42 PM
Nalbandian is another good 2H to watch. Murray too. Safin and Berdych is powerful are powerful, but flat. That's why they go off an on. Nalb and Murray are more consistent.

Roy125
11-25-2009, 05:45 PM
The person that said to use your hips to do the 2H backhand is awesome. I did that today and it worked. It's too bad that it was after I lost 0-6, 0-6 to that girl.

LeeD
11-26-2009, 07:20 AM
Hips is the swivel to your hitting turret, your shoulders. Some call it torso twist.
If you don't use hips, you're just arming thru.
Hopefully, you use legs too.

fruitytennis1
11-26-2009, 08:28 AM
Make sure you step before hitting. Don't just stand 2 feet strait and hit.

Roy125
11-26-2009, 04:32 PM
Hips is the swivel to your hitting turret, your shoulders. Some call it torso twist.
If you don't use hips, you're just arming thru.
Hopefully, you use legs too.

By using the legs, do you mean stepping into the shot like Fruity said?

LeeD
11-26-2009, 05:25 PM
Most of us can't step into more than 20% of our shots.
We can use our legs without moving our feet, or even shifting our weight forwards!
Think about baseball batters, Quarterbacks, and golfers. Set feet, but they use the whole kinetic chain from ankles on up. You can roll into the shot giving you greater pace and control. You pivot off your hips to twist your torso to gain pace and control.

papa
11-26-2009, 05:32 PM

Nice - good post

Roy125
11-27-2009, 11:38 AM
I can see how the hips are extremely fundamental to the 2 handed backhand. I just have to get into the habit of using them now. I find that whenever I don't use it, my 2 handed backhand creates an unsmooth ball, and sometimes a slice.

Bud
11-27-2009, 11:49 AM
I woudn't; though its hard to tell what you're doing wrong without a video.

For me what I found is the most important aspect of the 2handed backhand is the hip rotation, that is where your power comes from. to do this though, you must make sure your hip is actually rotating.

I didn't realize until my coach told me and fixed it was that my hips were very locked.

Hip rotation first, shoulders second...

Keep the right arm (assuming you're right-handed) tucked close to the body and your head still.

Also bend your knees and get low when striking the ball.

Your left hand (off hand) should be doing the lion's share of the work... so try hitting the shot with only 2-3 fingers from your right hand on the handle. This will force you left hand to do most of the work.

See these threads as well:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=297057
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=289725

LeeD
11-27-2009, 02:13 PM
I suspect hip rotation powers the shoulder turn, so both are intertwinged and connected. Can't turn shoulders without some trunk turn, and trunk is connected to hips.
Focus on the one that works for you. For me, the important point here is shoulder turn, like turret rotation in shooting, it's what you focus on because it's THAT effect alone that makes the difference. Some people can turn hips, but not shoulders, and the shot goes awry. If you can turn shoulders without turning hips, like moving to closed stance, the shot works just fine.

Roy125
11-27-2009, 10:09 PM
Thanks for all your help guys. Unfortunately, my coach is telling me to switch to a 1 hander to see if it's better than the 2 hander. I have never found the sweet spot of a 2 handed backhand which is why he might be switching me. That and it is the weakest part of my game.

Cody
11-27-2009, 11:29 PM
Thanks for all your help guys. Unfortunately, my coach is telling me to switch to a 1 hander to see if it's better than the 2 hander. I have never found the sweet spot of a 2 handed backhand which is why he might be switching me. That and it is the weakest part of my game.

Is this what you want ?

It just seems strange to me that your coaches first thought is to quit and switch to a one hander, unless you have put alot of work into the two hander and the improvement is non existient.

Anyway it's all comes down to your technique in the end so here are my suggestions.

- Post a video, this is imperative to check out your technique and i believe Bungalow Bill is very good at explaining two handed backhand mechanics

- Ask your coach and discuss with him why he wants this, what do you stand to gain from this.

It all comes down to what you want, maybe you would like to have a one hander to emulate a more all court game or what ever the reason.

It's your tennis game and you can choose what you want, it's meant to be fun and if you enjoy one stroke more then the other go for it.

papa
11-28-2009, 05:08 AM
Yes, as mentioned by LeeD, the hips and legs are the keys here. If you hitting from a closed stance, the hips to a great degree are locked out - try it yourself and you'll see that although the hips can, and should, rotate, they are very limited depending on how far the front foot crosses over. Again, as pointed out by LeeD, the open stance, or a more open stance, allows for greater hip rotation.

Without the hips, the 2HBH loses a great deal of its power for most players. However, the weight shift into the ball can really compensate for a lot/all of this loss as you see in the pros. The wrist snap, recovery time, balance, etc. are other factors so it can be an involved discussion.

Being able to hit the ball from either position is important.

Roy125
11-28-2009, 07:47 AM
Is this what you want ?

It just seems strange to me that your coaches first thought is to quit and switch to a one hander, unless you have put alot of work into the two hander and the improvement is non existient.

Anyway it's all comes down to your technique in the end so here are my suggestions.

- Post a video, this is imperative to check out your technique and i believe Bungalow Bill is very good at explaining two handed backhand mechanics

- Ask your coach and discuss with him why he wants this, what do you stand to gain from this.

It all comes down to what you want, maybe you would like to have a one hander to emulate a more all court game or what ever the reason.

It's your tennis game and you can choose what you want, it's meant to be fun and if you enjoy one stroke more then the other go for it.

Well, I have been working on the 2 hander for a year and I think that it has just improved 20%. I can moonball it, but that's all I can do most of the time.

One handers can play a more all court game than 2 handers can? I thought that they were weaker aggressive baseliners than the 2 handers.