PDA

View Full Version : Does Profanity Offend You?

gordo
11-24-2009, 11:01 AM
I was thinking about this today. In my everyday life profanity doesn't offend me and I usually don't even really notice it. I even utilize it on occasion! But when on the court I find myself getting offended when someone on an adjacent court cusses or if my opponent or doubles partner swears . . . thoughts?

LuckyR
11-24-2009, 11:23 AM
I was thinking about this today. In my everyday life profanity doesn't offend me and I usually don't even really notice it. I even utilize it on occasion! But when on the court I find myself getting offended when someone on an adjacent court cusses or if my opponent or doubles partner swears . . . thoughts?

I guess it depends on your definition of offended. If you mean that it hurts my feelings, then, no. If you mean it stands out as part of the definition of immaturity for the user, then, yes.

SlapChop
11-24-2009, 11:50 AM
I swear ALOT and when playing sports it is ALOT more.

FloridaAG
11-24-2009, 11:52 AM
no g*** da*** it, mu***** fu*** of course not.

tennis005
11-24-2009, 11:52 AM
I agree, using profanity is a sign of immaturity.

Geezer Guy
11-24-2009, 12:03 PM
Swearing doesn't bother me.

I read an interesting article awhile back about a study that found that swearing helped relieve pain and stress. Pain was inflicted on people somehow (I don't remember how) and they were asked to rate the pain. When told they could not swear they rated the pain higher than when they were told they could swear.

Personally, I think it disrespectful to swear using references to religious people when you're in the company of people that may believe in that particular religion.

And, of course, swearing using references to bodily excretions are never in good taste at the dinner table.

Ripper014
11-24-2009, 12:06 PM
Nope... but I have noticed I don't do it anymore on the court. I now say... "nice shot"

Lefty5
11-24-2009, 12:07 PM
i can't remember the last time i didn't hear a swear word follow a double fault under someones breath, or multiple swear words at multiple double faults... i too am guilty

Jagman
11-24-2009, 12:10 PM
Being prior military, my verbiage was fairly sprinkled at one time with obscenities. Profanity, properly employed by an expert, is extremely versatile, supplementing or taking the place of normal nouns, verbs, adverbs, adjectives, and even the odd prepositional phrase. Unfortunately, over time, it also has a tendency to become pervasive. You know you have a problem when you begin thinking/dreaming in obspeak.:oops:

Upon my return to the civilized world, I began a concerted effort to curb my proclivity to speak in a tarnished tongue, so as not to alarm the gentile folk of my community and workplace. It is best described as a work in progress.:)

I do not generally object to profanity as used by others unless it is directed at me. In that event, I insist that it be properly employed and in agreement with my own immediate self-assessment, otherwise I am liable to take offense. :wink:

Given my long immersion in the world of the tainted tongue, I believe that I can readily distinguish between the novice user and a master of the art. The greatest danger in the latter case is that I will greet the blasphemer as a brother and quickly regress to my former pagan state. :lol:

Profanity is common in every culture on earth. In some ways, it adds dramatic effect to language, but has its time and place. Within the military for example, while common in the field or on a work detail, it would have no place in a formal ceremony or mess.

I try to bite my tongue nowadays or at least mutter the obsenity under my breath. I don't object if someone else offers up a curse now and then. On the other hand, a tirade laced with profanity has no place around women and children.

As with much language, profanity has to employed in the right context to add value. Look at Richard Marcinko's books in the fiction section for a masterful use of colorful quotes that is just ROFLMAO funny! My two cents.

maverick66
11-24-2009, 12:20 PM

Not really.

I grew up around alot of construction workers and contractors. The language of those guys is terrible so it became normal for me to hear it all the time. So when someone swears around me I dont care. Obviously there are times when its just bad manners to let it go but thats only special occasions to me. On a tennis court is not one of them. If you wanna swear on a court go ahead.

Topaz
11-24-2009, 12:23 PM
As Jagman says, context matters.

On court, I usually let loose with an 'oh sh*t' when I realize I've just hit a weak shot and I'm about to get pulverized by a winner and/or I'm getting lobbed. For some reason, that is the phrase that just comes out!

rich s
11-24-2009, 12:58 PM
no it does not offend me..... when you grow up in NYC and people use the F-bomb as a syllable not much of any other profanity can offend me.....

when I hear it on the court is does catch my attention...... I try to be mindfull of other players and children and limit it to extreme situations or just let out a yell, but no i'm not offended by it

AndrewD
11-24-2009, 01:08 PM

My profanity upsets me more than anything else. I never swear in my personal life but, while playing sport, it sometimes just slips out and I find it really disappointing.

retlod
11-24-2009, 01:15 PM
I couldn't care less, but I do try to avoid doing it just the same. It's just that on a group of wide open courts, voices carry. Who knows who's playing on adjacent courts and who's going to get offended?

treo
11-24-2009, 01:27 PM
It's all about context and tone. If profanity is yelled with an anger that sometimes accompanies with physical violence, it is offensive.

apor
11-24-2009, 01:28 PM
I, like topaz will let an "oh sh**" out if I offered up an easily smashable lob or some other weak shot. I do not mind if others do the same. I too was in the military, and could string profanities together to compose proper sentences.
I don't think it has the least bit to do with maturity. They, to me, are words the same as any other. Perhaps they just have a bit more flair or strength than some are used to. I of course try to curb my use of such words when in the presence of those I feel might object.
-apor

HitItHarder
11-24-2009, 01:33 PM
Yes context definately matters.

Swear around me and to each his own, I probably won't say anything.

Swear at me and you are much more likely to get a response showing my disapproval of your poor choice of words.

Swear around my sweet little daughter, you are definately going to get a response from me showing my very clear disapproval of your language.

Swear at my sweet little girls and I will rip your d*mn head off.

Vermillion
11-24-2009, 01:40 PM
I don't really mind too much, but when women starts swearing, I tell them to step it down a notch. Don't taint my image of you is what I'm trying to get at hahaha.

fruitytennis1
11-24-2009, 03:50 PM
I still go to school. So no not really;even some teachers swear on a regular basis.

jswinf
11-24-2009, 06:13 PM
[QUOTE=Jagman;4138141]
I do not generally object to profanity as used by others unless it is directed at me. In that event, I insist that it be properly employed and in agreement with my own immediate self-assessment, otherwise I am liable to take offense.

This is a great statement. I'm in awe.

Steady Eddy
11-24-2009, 06:42 PM
I hardly ever use profanity, but I don't mind when someone else does. I like bawdy jokes.

Cindysphinx
11-24-2009, 07:24 PM
I don't use profanity in everyday conversation. A swear will slip out now and then, including tennis courts, but rarely loud enough for anyone to hear.

Does it offend me when others swear? No. Do I take it as a sign that they are lacking in class and social grace? Yes.

ttbrowne
11-24-2009, 07:42 PM

C'mon now...we're all not 14 here. Some of us are adults and cussing is great except when there's women around, then I hate to hear it for their sake. Call me oldfashioned.

Ripper014
11-24-2009, 09:50 PM
I don't use profanity in everyday conversation. A swear will slip out now and then, including tennis courts, but rarely loud enough for anyone to hear.

Does it offend me when others swear? No. Do I take it as a sign that they are lacking in class and social grace? Yes.

Actually I think it as a sign my opponent is about to crack... take as a compliment that you are getting to them.

Ken Honecker
11-25-2009, 03:07 AM
I let things slip out in normal conversation but seldom during sporting events. At the rec level I harbor very few illusions that the ball is always going to behave properly. Now when watching my team on the tube I quite often express heartfelt sentiments at the inability of the refs to see the same game I am watching or the players to successfully complete tasks normally learned in grade school. Examples being don't jump offsides on 4th down, secure the fumble rather then try to make a highlight reel fingertip scoop and run.

Steady Eddy
11-25-2009, 05:34 AM
secure the fumble rather then try to make a highlight reel fingertip scoop and run.
But that IS one of my favorite highlight reels, when about 10 guys each have a chance to recover the ball, but no one does because each guy tries to scoop it up on the run and it just keeps bouncing all over the field.

fruitytennis1
11-25-2009, 05:51 AM
C'mon now...we're all not 14 here. Some of us are adults and cussing is great except when there's women around, then I hate to hear it for their sake. Call me oldfashioned.

Contrary here I'm 14. Yes I didn't update my sig.

JRstriker12
11-25-2009, 06:06 AM
As long as the profanity isn't directed at me, I'm not offended.

alice301
11-25-2009, 06:59 AM
As long as the profanity isn't directed at me, I'm not offended.

so relieved to hear that, jrs...cuz i'd miss talking to you!

jrod
11-25-2009, 07:11 AM
No, not very often. What I find offensive is ignorance.

JRstriker12
11-25-2009, 07:35 AM
so relieved to hear that, jrs...cuz i'd miss talking to you!

LOL! (10 char).

Kostas
11-25-2009, 07:40 AM
LOL at people saying it's immature and bad manners.

One of the all time classic interview questions is something along the lines of 'If you could have dinner with anyone living or dead, who would it be?"

Well...I'd LOVE to meet the guy who one day decided what words were "good" words and what words were "bad" words that mean the same thing.

To say that you have more respect for a person who says "shoot!" instead of "sh*t" or "darn" instead of "damn" or "freakin-A!" rather than the less socially acceptable alternative is absolutely ridiculous.

I've heard that people who swear are immature, they have a limited vocabulary, they are rude or obnoxious.

It's amazing to me that we as a society can have such a blatant double standard about something so trivial.

To me it's about the context and use - but not so much what has already been said in this thread about who you direct that type of language to but more of the tone and intent.

If you double fault and yell "darnit!" that is ok right? But if you yell "damnit" or "sh*t" then you are all of the above mentioned names right? The intent is the EXACT same thing...the literal definition of the chosen frustration word is meaningless but the tone as a reaction is what should be judged. We are not outraged or upset by a persons general reaction but by the specific word they use to let their frustrations out.

I have many friends that have no lack of either intelligence nor vocabulary who are not only capable but expected to compose professionally worded memos and presentations as part of their career but are also some of the most casually vulgar individuals by most "civilized" peoples' definition when in the company of their friends.

I personally feel that profanity highlights more of an outdated and antiquated social norm of those offended by it than it does say anything about those committing the "offense".

tennytive
11-25-2009, 07:45 AM
Love Jagman's post. :)

I only swear at myself when I double, or miss an easy shot, maybe once or twice in 2 sets. Afterwards I regret it as it shows a lack of control, but in the moment, it just comes out. After the tirade, I really watch it from then on so as not to offend anyone. It's the passion, I tell ya, yeah… that's the ticket.

In any event, it is immature, not to mention it sounds like s--t and doesn't do a d--n bit of good.

apor
11-25-2009, 11:18 AM

I personally feel that profanity highlights more of an outdated and antiquated social norm of those offended by it than it does say anything about those committing the "offense".

Yep, that about sums it up. The same thing with someone's nipple on TV creating such an outrage- didn't we all grow up suckling on one?
The people who think such things are "dirty" are the ones who made them so.

Moz
11-25-2009, 11:35 AM
As Jagman says, context matters.

On court, I usually let loose with an 'oh sh*t' when I realize I've just hit a weak shot and I'm about to get pulverized by a winner and/or I'm getting lobbed. For some reason, that is the phrase that just comes out!

Profanity only annoys me when my opponent uses it as I'm about to take a shot.

Topaz - I'm disappointed in you!

Steady Eddy
11-25-2009, 11:42 AM
Contrary here I'm 14. Yes I didn't update my sig.
This?
If you think your smart turns out your debating with a 13yr old kid.
And when you change 13 to 14 change each "your" to "you're".

Yep, that about sums it up. The same thing with someone's nipple on TV creating such an outrage- didn't we all grow up suckling on one?

Not me, in my day bottle feeding was standard in the U.S.

raiden031
11-25-2009, 11:59 AM

One of the all time classic interview questions is something along the lines of 'If you could have dinner with anyone living or dead, who would it be?"

Well...I'd LOVE to meet the guy who one day decided what words were "good" words and what words were "bad" words that mean the same thing.

To say that you have more respect for a person who says "shoot!" instead of "sh*t" or "darn" instead of "damn" or "freakin-A!" rather than the less socially acceptable alternative is absolutely ridiculous.

I've heard that people who swear are immature, they have a limited vocabulary, they are rude or obnoxious.

It's amazing to me that we as a society can have such a blatant double standard about something so trivial.

To me it's about the context and use - but not so much what has already been said in this thread about who you direct that type of language to but more of the tone and intent.

If you double fault and yell "darnit!" that is ok right? But if you yell "damnit" or "sh*t" then you are all of the above mentioned names right? The intent is the EXACT same thing...the literal definition of the chosen frustration word is meaningless but the tone as a reaction is what should be judged. We are not outraged or upset by a persons general reaction but by the specific word they use to let their frustrations out.

I have many friends that have no lack of either intelligence nor vocabulary who are not only capable but expected to compose professionally worded memos and presentations as part of their career but are also some of the most casually vulgar individuals by most "civilized" peoples' definition when in the company of their friends.

I agree pretty much, but I think most of us are conditioned to focus more on the word used than the context or behavior associated with the use of the word. Just the use of the more offensive word changes the context even when thats not the intention.

For instance, when I'm playing tennis and I hit an error, I will usually try to curb my language and say things like "gosh darnit", but then when I get truly frustrated, I lose the ability to curb my language and the real stuff starts coming out. What does that mean, it means that the real stuff is stronger than the phony substitute words. So right there you can see that me saying "gosh darnit" is in a different context than the real thing because I would never say "gosh darnit" if I'm truly mad about something.

But as long as the words aren't over-used in public such as the person saying them isn't embarrassing me, and they aren't using the words against me, I don't care about profanity.

jaggy
11-25-2009, 12:15 PM
I try to buy into the much held view that they are cracking up when they swear a lot but generally it bugs me.

BLX
11-26-2009, 03:52 AM
Yes context definately matters.

Swear around me and to each his own, I probably won't say anything.

Swear at me and you are much more likely to get a response showing my disapproval of your poor choice of words.

Swear around my sweet little daughter, you are definately going to get a response from me showing my very clear disapproval of your language.

Swear at my sweet little girls and I will rip your d*mn head off.

Sure a pencil neck nerd like you is sure gonna cause havoc......

fe6250
11-26-2009, 05:20 AM
I hate when people f*%&^ing swear!

West Coast Ace
11-26-2009, 01:50 PM
I was thinking about this today. In my everyday life profanity doesn't offend me and I usually don't even really notice it. I even utilize it on occasion! But when on the court I find myself getting offended when someone on an adjacent court cusses or if my opponent or doubles partner swears . . . thoughts?In a normal speaking voice, no. But when someone screams it then yes. Especially if it's the 1st time you play someone. I met someone who might have been a pretty good match. He started dropping F-bombs loudly every time he missed what he thought was a makeable shot. That, coupled with some of this other gamesmanship, made it easy to decide to never play him again. Adults should be able to control themself - it's just a tennis match.

North
11-27-2009, 11:49 AM
I couldn't care less about profanity except if it is (a) directed at me, (b) when I am taking a shot, if it is used to cause a hindrance. Other than that, it's a non-issue.

Fedace
11-27-2009, 11:51 AM

I love profenity from the opponents. as long as they aren't calling me names. if they say s and f words just cause they are playing bad then it is fine with me. it is actually funny.

onehandbh
11-27-2009, 01:49 PM
Doesn't bother me. At the courts I play at there's this one
guy that screams out profanity. Some of his favorites are
words that rhyme with punt, pore, buck,
and brother mucker, and brother flockin' ditch.
He was even yelling this out while playing mixed doubles.

saram
11-29-2009, 07:59 PM
I cuss all the time when I play...I just keep it non-verbal and to myself.

Dreamcastin
11-29-2009, 08:36 PM
I cuss all the time when I play...I just keep it non-verbal and to myself.

this is me, except when im playing with my good friends. i get crazy sometimes playing with them but not when others are around.