PDA

View Full Version : Rooibos Tea-Does anyone drink it?

chess9
11-24-2009, 12:47 PM
How is it? The ads say it's high in anti-oxidents. So what? ;)

Why would I drink it instead of green tea?

-Robert

LuckyR
11-24-2009, 01:06 PM

-Robert

Sure have. It is the "red tea", though as you know it isn't really tea. It has a very different taste, not unpleasant and is a change of pace for those who consume large quantities of tea.

My guess is that it is of similar anti-oxidant power to green tea, but I would choose based on taste, since that is very different.

chess9
11-24-2009, 01:22 PM
Ok, thanks Lucky.

-Robert

mtommer
11-24-2009, 01:29 PM

-Robert

Why? No reason really, unless you prefer it's taste. I drink tea simply because I like it, not for the health related benefits. Personally, I like White Tea and Rooibos Tea. I've never cared for Green Tea as it has a very earthy grassy taste.

There is one difference though between Rooibos and "tea". Rooibos tea typically releases almost all of it's properties (taste etc.) during the first infusion. With "tea" you can often get two or three cups out of one tea bag.

LuckyR
11-24-2009, 01:49 PM
Why? No reason really, unless you prefer it's taste. I drink tea simply because I like it, not for the health related benefits. Personally, I like White Tea and Rooibos Tea. I've never cared for Green Tea as it has a very earthy grassy taste.

There is one difference though between Rooibos and "tea". Rooibos tea typically releases almost all of it's properties (taste etc.) during the first infusion. With "tea" you can often get two or three cups out of one tea bag.

I used to agree with your assessment of green tea, but then I tried Gunpowder green tea and have since found Earl Grey Green, both of which taste like regular tea.

chess9
11-24-2009, 03:14 PM
Well, Berardi has converted me to green tea, and off coffee. That was a rough trip. ;) I thought I might take Rooibos for variety. I haven't had much tea in my life, so this is a new experience.

-Robert

maverick66
11-24-2009, 09:15 PM
I used to agree with your assessment of green tea, but then I tried Gunpowder green tea and have since found Earl Grey Green, both of which taste like regular tea.

I put lemon in it. Takes care of the taste pretty good. I used to drink normal tea with a bucket of sugar added and switched to the green tea with just lemon and its been easier on my stomach.

nomie
11-24-2009, 09:35 PM

-Robert

Simple.
Green tea, like coffee and most other tea's, contains caffeine.

Rooibos's claim to fame is that it contains almost no caffeine.

To quote:
"Rooibos Tea: Made from a South African red bush that has higher antioxidants than green tea, and is caffeine free."

nomie
11-24-2009, 09:38 PM
http://www.choozza.com/compare/tea/Green_Tea_vs._Rooibos

CanadianChic
11-25-2009, 12:40 AM

-Robert

I do and because it tastes better. :)

Xenakis
11-25-2009, 02:28 AM
I drink it like normal British tea with milk. It tastes like normal tea but has no caffeine.

chess9
11-25-2009, 03:11 AM
http://www.choozza.com/compare/tea/Green_Tea_vs._Rooibos

Great site. Thanks! I bought some Roobois last night and am drinking a cup of it. Very aromatic and almost orangish in color.

-Robert

chess9
11-25-2009, 03:13 AM
I do and because it tastes better. :)

I think you are right. Though it has no calories, it's more pleasing to the taste buds than green tea. I think I'll alternate for a few weeks and see how it goes.

-Robert

chess9
11-25-2009, 05:09 AM
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/11/091118101359.htm

Recent research on some of the benefits of green tea.

-Robert