PDA

View Full Version : Back Arch

Kenny022593
11-24-2009, 02:12 PM
I video taped my serve the other day and i noticed that i barely bend my back. So today i went out and arched my back noticably more (sorry no video) and i was finding i was getting more kick out of my serve but the pace was lacking. Will the pace come if i keep practicing with this or will i have to sacrifice kick for speed?

Here is an old picture. If i get out to the courts tomorrow i will definately take a video. Just from this picture though can you see anything that will make the ball kick more without having to arch my back more?

http://i45.tinypic.com/2ro1c46.jpg

LeeD
11-24-2009, 02:41 PM
Wid somewhat decent technique, anytime you add spin, you lose pace. Pure and simple.
And with an arched back for twist serves, you WILL develop back problems sometimes soon.
However, if you don't arch your back at least somewhat, your service bounce will never be consistently higher than 5' at the baseline. Unless you're hitting from above 10' up in the air.
Me, I hit from around 9', so I need to arch my back on twists to get the high bounce, usually at speeds around 70 mph. First flats up around 110.

Kenny022593
11-24-2009, 02:53 PM
Wid somewhat decent technique, anytime you add spin, you lose pace. Pure and simple.
And with an arched back for twist serves, you WILL develop back problems sometimes soon.
However, if you don't arch your back at least somewhat, your service bounce will never be consistently higher than 5' at the baseline. Unless you're hitting from above 10' up in the air.
Me, I hit from around 9', so I need to arch my back on twists to get the high bounce, usually at speeds around 70 mph. First flats up around 110.

LeeD the speed was all in context of spin serve haha =P im not trying to be like Navarro and hit a 120 mph spin serve i just want a higher speed than what is coming off the swing with the back arch. I will get a video up to show you.

LeeD
11-24-2009, 03:38 PM
Most of us can bounce a topspin hard second serve up to the backboard around chest high.
Unfortunately, we don't normally do that with a kicker/twist serve, as the higher arc and MORE spin means less bounce distance.
Actual speed is less important, as StefanEdberg was known to have a tough serve and his average barely 100mph, but with huge spin, twist, slice, top, kick, and variants.
My knees would fall off with your bend, but I can bounce my twists right up around 6' heights at the baseline.

papa
11-24-2009, 06:45 PM
Careful here because, depending on age/conditioning, you might be setting yourself up for problems. Yes, you want/need some arch but it doesn't have to be/should be, a quick herky jerky thing where you just thrust out the hips to get the belly button pointed up. You can/will really screw up you back if your not doing this properly and that can effect you for years/decades.

Yes, get the belly button pointed up but do it with some grace.

SystemicAnomaly
11-25-2009, 12:39 AM
Caveat: I would not arch the back very much at all. When I say arch, I mean that the back should not be curved very much. This is not to say that you cannot lay back a bit with the back at a fairly straight angle (rather than curved). By allowing your heels to come off the ground while you bend your knees, you can tilt your back backward without too much curvature.

papa
11-25-2009, 06:17 AM
Caveat: I would not arch the back very much at all. When I say arch, I mean that the back should not be curved very much. This is not to say that you cannot lay back a bit with the back at a fairly straight angle (rather than curved). By allowing your heels to come off the ground while you bend your knees, you can tilt your back backward without too much curvature.

Yeah, good post. You want to feel pressure on the balls/toes of your feet but the heels don't have to be raised much.

Kenny022593
11-25-2009, 08:13 AM
Thanks for that post. I think based on the picture and based on what i feel when i serve that my heels are off the ground alittle as i go through the motion. If i go an play indoors today i will get a video up. I cannot go play outside because it rained =(

LeeD
11-25-2009, 08:24 AM
Just where in the world to you live?
Here in BerkeleyCA, it's rained 4 days since August 15, meaning every other day was dry and 80% of them was sunny.
Right now, 6 days in a row, pure blue skies around 50 degrees at 8:29AM.

Kenny022593
11-25-2009, 11:38 AM
Just where in the world to you live?
Here in BerkeleyCA, it's rained 4 days since August 15, meaning every other day was dry and 80% of them was sunny.
Right now, 6 days in a row, pure blue skies around 50 degrees at 8:29AM.

Binghamton is where I live. Believe me if it didnt rain but it was under 40 degrees I would still be outside playing but the rain prevents it. I know it isn't the most rainy place in the world but rain just stinks for tennis.

LeeD
11-25-2009, 11:46 AM
Oh, sorry!!
Right now, at 11:47, after shopping for pototoes Thanks, and hitting the wall for one hour, it's about 75 degrees and glaringly sunny, just like the previous 5 days.
Spent $33. :shock::shock:

Kenny022593
11-25-2009, 06:31 PM
Oh, sorry!!
Right now, at 11:47, after shopping for pototoes Thanks, and hitting the wall for one hour, it's about 75 degrees and glaringly sunny, just like the previous 5 days.
Spent $33. :shock::shock:

That is how much i spent to play indoor plus no good video -.- ugh

LeeD
11-26-2009, 08:16 AM
Yeah, $33 seems a lot for pototo entree' ! :shock::shock: Gonna fix 'er up in a few hours and see what it tastes like.
It's 8:18AM now TurkeyDay and light cloud cover, about 52 degrees, no wind at all, and going to be another 65 degree day.
All my tennis friends are going to play today, but not me, I gotta cook and recoup.

fruitytennis1
11-26-2009, 09:41 AM
Lean back as someone stated your not really supposed to bend your back extremely far. I have a friend who used to and now he has minor back problems and hes like 16.

Kenny022593
11-26-2009, 10:17 AM
LeeD FOR ONCE IT IS ALMOST THE SAME WEATHER HERE!!! :twisted:

LeeD
11-26-2009, 11:03 AM
Good for us !!
Now 11:04, about 65 in the shade, easy 75 in the sun, some girls with shorts and SSleeves, no bikinis yet. Light W winds around 2, and very glary.
Just slopped the ingrediants together waiting for head and H20.
Gonna do the sauce later.....

Dags
11-26-2009, 03:05 PM
You can be quite successful following this advice.
http://img.tennis-warehouse.com/new_product/BBB17-1.jpg

papa
11-26-2009, 03:20 PM
Could be a whole new TV series - "Crazy spud chief does the weather" -- might be better than some of the stuff already on the tube.

JISTUINS
11-26-2009, 06:32 PM
Many beginners/intermediate players who try to hit topspin serve arch their back because I think the common method of instruction is to toss the ball a little behind for easier topspin pronation. This is because if not done so, many end up hitting a flat, slice or topspin slice. But once the player has the hang of it (both physically and image-wise), the player should toss less behind and more in front (towards the net) to be able to generate more speed, and also has the added advantage of disguising what serve to serve. That was the way I was taught, but if their is a more efficient way of instruction, I would love to know it.