PDA

View Full Version : Please, ctritique my shot. (videos)

albesca
11-24-2009, 11:05 PM
This video is extracted from a bad tennis day, usually I play a bit better (..:oops:)... but it's the perfect day to highlight my mistakes.

On Serve i use continental grip. i go off balance to the left after contact.

On backand i use only arm ...back muscles are not involved ..maybe due a poor shoulder turn

On forehand , using a semiwestern, i think:
1 At contact my elbow fly away ... .i don't keep the elbow "in" maybe due a bad (wristy) pronation .. ( right shoulder muscles not involved ? ..)

2 i'm not able to tranfer the weight for each heights of the ball. The more the high of the ball, the more i loose confidence on stepping forward ..i don't know how can i fix that.

VIDEOS-> http://www.youtube.com/user/albesca#p/u

Thank you
Ciao
Alberto

chain55
11-24-2009, 11:21 PM
damn your partner sounds like hes taking a massive poop every time he serves lol...

cl76
11-25-2009, 12:38 AM
This video is extracted from a bad tennis day, usually I play a bit better (..:oops:)... but it's the perfect day to highlight my mistakes.

On Serve i use continental grip. i go off balance to the left after contact.

On backand i use only arm ...back muscles are not involved ..maybe due a poor shoulder turn

On forehand , using a semiwestern, i think:
1 At contact my elbow fly away ... .i don't keep the elbow "in" maybe due a bad (wristy) pronation .. ( right shoulder muscles not involved ? ..)

2 i'm not able to tranfer the weight for each heights of the ball. The more the high of the ball, the more i loose confidence on stepping forward ..i don't know how can i fix that.

VIDEOS-> http://www.youtube.com/user/albesca#p/u

Thank you
Ciao
Alberto

It seems to me you're not hitting through the ball at the proper angle. The contact point (face of racquet on ball) of both forehand and backhand is angled somewhat upwards a little too much. You're follow through is nice however.

I think what you could do to change this is to move to the ball faster, getting you're feet into position sooner and striking the ball between waist and shoulder height. This will also naturally prompt you to bend your knees more. When the knees are not bent, more "lifting" or "scooping" occurs, giving the ball a lot more height. It appears your preparation is a little slow, your judgement of the ball speed and height will come with experience/practice.

I'm guessing most of the first serves are going long? If so, try to connect with the ball at the highest point of your reach or try a slightly more eastern grip. You're serve motion goes right to left, instead of back to front. Try to toss the ball more in front of you at arms length.

Netspirit
11-25-2009, 12:59 AM
The person behind the camera sounds like he's about to give birth. Scary stuff.

Indiana Puffed
11-25-2009, 03:02 AM
Ciao Alberto,

I like your movement and split step during return of serve... you could add just a little more forward momentum in that split step and that will help generate more velocity in your return. Your mass will be moving into the court.

Re. serve, your 2nd serves looked more consistant from that brief video, I think due to you having a slightly higher toss/ more time to initiate racket drop and then swing. Your 1st serves looked rushed. Your serve tempo is nice on those 2nd serves, and I really like your loading position, good stuff!

albesca
11-25-2009, 03:55 AM
1- I think what you could do to change this is to move to the ball faster, getting you're feet into position sooner and striking the ball between waist and shoulder height. This will also naturally prompt you to bend your knees more. When the knees are not bent, more "lifting" or "scooping" occurs, giving the ball a lot more height. It appears your preparation is a little slow, your judgement of the ball speed and height will come with experience/practice.

2- I'm guessing most of the first serves are going long? If so, try to connect with the ball at the highest point of your reach or try a slightly more eastern grip. You're serve motion goes right to left, instead of back to front. Try to toss the ball more in front of you at arms length.

1 ) .. on hips level balls i feel the confidence to step through tha ball ... then i put my feet in position properly because i know what i have to do .
But on higher level balls i have a mental lock ... that lock my legs too.
i have to learn to manage different ball levels ..that means different swing paths ... but every swing with a body weight shifting forward .. when (if) i will know what i have to do...sure i will feel the needing to get the foot in position sooner....

2) yes .. i follow the ball ..and due the shoulder rotation i drop down to the left loosing the balance. Maybe i would shift the body weight to the right net post as compensation...

Thank you

albesca
11-25-2009, 04:03 AM
Ciao Alberto,

I like your movement and split step during return of serve... you could add just a little more forward momentum in that split step and that will help generate more velocity in your return. Your mass will be moving into the court.

Re. serve, your 2nd serves looked more consistant from that brief video, I think due to you having a slightly higher toss/ more time to initiate racket drop and then swing. Your 1st serves looked rushed. Your serve tempo is nice on those 2nd serves, and I really like your loading position, good stuff!

On return of serve i've learned how to time it ..but during the rally i have difficult to time it. Than you for suggestion to add a forward momentum in split step ... sure i will try. thank you.

Yes .. the toss is different .. in 2nd serve i have the contact with the raquet "on the rise" and i think to "snap up".. in 1st serve i try to have the contact at finish of the rice and think to "snap down". I don't understand why i loose the balance to the left after contact .. thanks

fruitytennis1
11-25-2009, 05:46 AM
Prepare a little earlier and get to the ball in your ideal position not just (a) position. Your ball judgment is a little off but just stay on the courts and that should fix itself.

Stay planted on your forhand side.
You shouldn't be reaching for the ball like that(this ties into the statements above)

Also avoid slicing the ball on the backhand so much.
I didn't watch the whole vid but I don't think i saw a single topspin one.
If you've just started I would suggest at least trying a 2hbh for a couple weeks at the least.

Final comment I did like the slice at around 1:10.

albesca
11-25-2009, 06:12 AM
Prepare a little earlier and get to the ball in your ideal position not just (a) position. Your ball judgment is a little off but just stay on the courts and that should fix itself..

maybe ..my delay happens because i think i must have a perfect judgment immediately .. instead to plant my feet early with an approxim. judgment , having the confidence to be able on making little adjustments during the swing.

Thank you

fruitytennis1
11-25-2009, 07:02 AM
Yep I would agree with your statements. Its the little adjustments during your swing which I think are messing you up.

lwto
11-25-2009, 09:10 AM
Your not setting up in time.

If you see its a forehand, get your racquet back before the ball bounces, that way you will have time to set up. Those serves you were getting should be smashed :)

Step into the ball.. weight forward and hit alittle earlier, you look like your just waiting for the ball to arrive at your racquet.

H. Ju
11-25-2009, 12:08 PM
Hey albesca,
I think your form is great. I agree with other guys that your preparation should be a little sooner. One thing I see that you can improve on is core rotation. If you see your forehane you'll notice that your left shoulder is opened even before you hit the ball. It's because you do not use your core when you set up and this causes you to hit the ball only with your arms. Makeing sure your left shoulder is closed when you set up.

albesca
11-25-2009, 12:27 PM
Hey albesca,
I think your form is great. I agree with other guys that your preparation should be a little sooner. One thing I see that you can improve on is core rotation. If you see your forehane you'll notice that your left shoulder is opened even before you hit the ball. It's because you do not use your core when you set up
and this causes you to hit the ball only with your arms. Makeing sure your left shoulder is closed when you set up.

what you mean with "set up" ? ... the end of back swing ?
Thank you

cl76
11-25-2009, 02:20 PM
1 ) .. on hips level balls i feel the confidence to step through tha ball ... then i put my feet in position properly because i know what i have to do .
But on higher level balls i have a mental lock ... that lock my legs too.
i have to learn to manage different ball levels ..that means different swing paths ... but every swing with a body weight shifting forward .. when (if) i will know what i have to do...sure i will feel the needing to get the foot in position sooner....

2) yes .. i follow the ball ..and due the shoulder rotation i drop down to the left loosing the balance. Maybe i would shift the body weight to the right net post as compensation...

Thank you

With the higher balls you have a couple of options:

1. You move foward and hit the ball before it bounces too high.
2. You move backward and wait for the ball to come down.
3. You do nothing and try to hit it high.

Your issue with high balls comes down to preparation. As others have mentioned it appears that you wait for the ball to come to you rather than move to it. This is simply an issue with judging the ball height and speed. With experience you will realise that you need to be in a certain ideal position to hit a ball and this will develop over time. Your footwork and reaction speed haven't developed yet.

With the serve as I mentioned before, the motion of your swing goes from right to left instead of back to front. Which causes your momentum to also flow from right to left causing you to lose balance and fall to the left. I can't see really see in the video but I am guessing your ball toss is too close to your body. If you toss the ball IN FRONT of you at arms length this will cause you to swing forward, not sideways at the ball. This will cause your body weight to move forward as well.

albesca
11-25-2009, 10:27 PM
.... Your footwork and reaction speed haven't developed yet..

I am experimenting on split step .. but now i'm off time. The great mistake in footwork i noticed is that i still on the heel after split step... and generally..i still on my heel too often. corrections i will apply in footwork from today are:

1- DON'T still on heel if i do the split-step too early .. but duplicate the split-step ....and stay on feet balls
2- after the split-step, when the opponent ball is on the air, one quick movement of all body for shouder turn and take the raquet back ..and stay on feet balls
3 -near the ball is bouncing ..i accept my positioning judgment .. leave the left hand from the raquet troath and straight the left arm to the supposed contact zone ....and using both arm like an acrobat on a wire ... try to shift the balance a little forward ... and FEEL with my feet balls the body is ready to move toward the contact zone.

And, using the feet balls i'would be forced to bend the knees and stay low..
obiously i need a better fitness and avoid pizza and spaghetti for some month ... :-)

With the serve as I mentioned before, the motion of your swing goes from right to left instead of back to front. Which causes your momentum to also flow from right to left causing you to lose balance and fall to the left. I can't see really see in the video but I am guessing your ball toss is too close to your body. If you toss the ball IN FRONT of you at arms length this will cause you to swing forward, not sideways at the ball. This will cause your body weight to move forward as well.

Yes, I am convincing that most of my problems are related to the weight transfer. Both in forehand and in serve ... the energy stored in legs and core isn't used to move forward ... so all the energy is released only around the rotation axis.
Again ...i hope my feet balls sensivity ( hope i have one...) comes to help me.
Both in serve and forehand, when I want to move forward ..
i would feel the body weight shiftes forward by a little "bent forward" position in which the balance is maintained due to acceleration.

Say me guys if i'm taking the right way. Thank you all

Ciao
Alberto

cl76
11-25-2009, 10:41 PM
I am experimenting on split step ..

Sounds like you've got some ideas to try. I just wanted to add that if you think too much about how your feet are moving you will forget to hit the ball. Concentrate on hitting the ball first.

If you're in the ready position: your feet are shoulder width apart, knees slightly bent and torso leaning forward, then you will naturally be standing on the balls of your feet. This will allow you to move forward easily and prevent you from placing all your weight on the back foot. The split step will come much easier and naturally this way.

albesca
11-25-2009, 11:39 PM
Sounds like you've got some ideas to try. I just wanted to add that if you think too much about how your feet are moving you will forget to hit the ball. Concentrate on hitting the ball first.

If you're in the ready position: your feet are shoulder width apart, knees slightly bent and torso leaning forward, then you will naturally be standing on the balls of your feet. This will allow you to move forward easily and prevent you from placing all your weight on the back foot. The split step will come much easier and naturally this way.

Yes, but it is also true .. if you stay on feet balls ..ready position comes naturally ! :-) ..i will try it on evening, thank you.

albesca
11-26-2009, 10:14 PM
In evening i've done very better with my forehand.

i've done all movements on my feet balls and bended knees.
i chose to scan the time in 4/4, one step for each time.

1/4
The opponent hit - split step - ready position
2/4
the ball flies - turn step - shoulder turn with both hands on raquet troath

..... align and wait the ball is near to the ground....

3/4
the ball is next to the ground in my court.
NOW i can do adjustement .. and chose the proper swing path.
step with feet pointing to the ground and feel the balance tends a little forward
arms both opens .. the pointing arm straighten .. helps to find the fwd balance , the hitting arm supinate, the butt caps points to the ball and feel the arm be loaded at proper higness, depending on swing path chosed.
4/4
contact - relase the forward energy and swing trying to cover the ball ...

i've found good advises in bailey method - forward transfer move.
Thank you. On sanday i'll post new videos.
Ciao
Alberto