PDA

View Full Version : Why we shouldn't listen to pro-players

Agassifan
11-26-2009, 03:18 AM
I am not picking on Nadal, but am using this as a perfect example of the fact that pro-players say what they think the fans want to hear. Every pro player does it and I want to point out the meaningless-ness of overanalyzing players comments.

Specimen A : Nadal before the Masters Cup
------------------------------------------------------
When most players are nursing weary bodies after a long season, Nadal says things couldn't be better.

“I'm in perfect shape, both mentally and physically,” Nadal said Friday. “I've had the best end of the season in my life.”

“I am close to my absolute best. I am playing well,” Nadal said. “And this situation, getting to play against the best players in the world, is perfect for me.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/more-sports/nadal-in-perfect-shape-going-into-atp-finals/article1371832/
-----------------------------------------------------

Here he is after the match

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/8380111.stm

He says he is not playing well enough and he wasn't confident before the tournament. Again, not Nadal bashing. Fed has done this in the past too.

joeri888
11-26-2009, 03:23 AM
Good point. Every player talks crap.

Conquistador
11-26-2009, 03:28 AM
Why dont we celebrate Nadal for his honesty. Everyone on here is speaking ill of Nadal, saying he is a has been. Most people dont realize that everyone on the Tour does this for a living and is extremely good at what they do. Nadal is not invincible as everyone thinks. Neither is Federer or the rest. These are extremely great tennis players and like they say it really can come down to a game of inches on a given day.

joeri888
11-26-2009, 03:30 AM
Why dont we celebrate Nadal for his honesty. Everyone on here is speaking ill of Nadal, saying he is a has been. Most people dont realize that everyone on the Tour does this for a living and is extremely good at what they do. Nadal is not invincible as everyone thinks. Neither is Federer or the rest. These are extremely great tennis players and like they say it really can come down to a game of inches on a given day.

True that. I agree that people sometimes forget these guys are people too. However, if Nadal's so honest, how can he say before the tournament that he's at his best, and when he's still in the tournament he already starts saying he was in really bad shape, not good enough etc. etc. Didn't we suspect that already before the tournament? I'm sure he wasn't suddenly playing great in practice.

jazzyfunkybluesy
11-26-2009, 03:30 AM
This is a sign of his mental toughness. To talk positive even when his game is tanking.

namelessone
11-26-2009, 03:42 AM
Bad example though I agree with the overall point of the thread.

"I'm in perfect shape physically and mentally" - Yeah right,I understand physically because he is now ok after a tough season but mentally he is not alright and it is seen by his on-court actions. He is way more fidgety,he gestures more on-court and he seems more nervous and unlike before,he actually dwells on certain balls,it gets to him. He has lost his "colm" as he says it.

"I've had the best end of the season in my life."-Oddly enough this is true. Last year he had USO semi but missed Paris,TMC and DC final. This year,though he played like crap in the second half and he equaled his best results almost everywhere,including USO and he actually participated in WTF and will probably win DC for Spain. So while his game has been crap,results-wise his end of the season was not half-bad.

"I am close to my absolute best"- This is too funny to comment on. Obviously he knows himself better than us but this is not even close to his "absolute best". Getting breadsticked every other week is not playing at your absolute best. After he gets beat tomorrow by Djoker it will be his 9th defeat since RG. In the first half of the year he lost at doha,rotterdam,miami,madrid and RG. So that's 5 defeats. So again,how is Rafa close to his absolute best? Perhaps he knows better.

"And this situation, getting to play against the best players in the world, is perfect for me.”- This is true,there is no better indicator than playing the top10 and his results against them show that he isn't near his absolute best.

GustafsonFanatic
11-26-2009, 03:53 AM
He wanted to send the message that he can still compete even though he's obviously not at his best.

Besides, you are not supposed to whine too much for no reason. If you arrive for the tournament saying how you're injured, tired, confused, depressed whatever, then your opponents wouldn't know whether to take you seriously, and that may put pressure on them.

Agassifan
11-26-2009, 04:05 AM
Geez. Here he is after the match

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/8380111.stm

He says he is not playing well enough and he wasn't confident before the tournament. Again, not Nadal bashing. Fed has done this in the past too.

Messarger
11-26-2009, 05:10 AM
Well to be fair to the pros they are suppose to sound diplomatic about what they say. If Nadal says he is burnt out and not ready to compete, i believe many critiques will rightly label that as excuses even before the matches start. In that sense pro match interviews are generally more accurate then the pre match ones.

stoo
11-26-2009, 05:33 AM
Good point. Every player talks crap.

Ya know what? I'm sure every one of us at some point would start talking crap too if we had a microphone shoved in our face after every practice session or match. It's the same for every high level professional athlete. Constantly being asked stupid repetitve questions by the media is part of the life they have, but still, it must be a pain in the *****.

Tennis_Monk
11-26-2009, 05:48 AM
Nadal had a bad last half of 2009. He tried every technique to pick himself up --including positive talking and what not.

I think most of the people will agree that Nadal is not this bad of a player to lose matches like these. Clearly things are not all right with him(and he probably doesnt want to disclose).

If anything this is a logical end to his seasons (sans the DC) and hopefully come back and turn things around in 2009.