PDA

View Full Version : Does Murray put to much stock into beating Federer?

Cesc Fabregas
11-26-2009, 03:23 AM
Does Andy Murray put too much importance into beating Federer? Last year he blew his chance of winning the Masters Cup so he could beat Federer and the other night he was a little too pumped up, he looked like he wanted to beat Federer too much. I know beating a tennis legend like Federer is a big deal but it looks like Murray sees beating Federer as important as winning a title.

joeri888
11-26-2009, 03:25 AM
Does Andy Murray put too much importance into beating Federer? Last year he blew his chance of winning the Masters Cup so he could beat Federer and the other night he was a little too pumped up, he looked like he wanted to beat Federer too much. I know beating a tennis legend like Federer is a big deal but it looks like Murray sees beating Federer as important as winning a title.

Fair point I think. I think maybe he knows what it does with his fans when he beats Federer. He's always so motivated to do it, and last year at the YEC was pretty bad. Should have kept something in the tank. Murray needs to start winning titles. He's got a way to fight with Fed that worked well, but he needs to find his way into beating the Verdasco's, Gonzales's and Cilic's of this world first.

GustafsonFanatic
11-26-2009, 03:27 AM
Maybe he didn't want to face Federer in the final for the second time last year. It backfired badly.

In the last 2 matches in Cinci and London, he wasn't exceptionally motivated. So I don't he cares too much.

He would prefer to win a slam than have positive H2H wth Federer.

jazzyfunkybluesy
11-26-2009, 03:28 AM
Hed prefer to win than have positive H2H with anybody.

namelessone
11-26-2009, 03:29 AM
Yes,yes he does. He puts too much pressure on himself. He particularly annoyed me in Cincy where he looked ****ed because he was losing but Federer was in fine form in that match(probably wanted to prove that murray doesn't own him) yet murray was gesturing to himself after almost every point about this and that. I understand frustration but it was almost as if he thought he was favourite in his match with Federer and that's just wrong.True,Fed showed some awful tennis in his match with Ferrer in the early rounds and the scot probably thought he could take him on but Murray should have just focused on his game,he shouldn't have acknowledged that he was losing at every other point. There is only one guy who starts as favourite against Federer,and that is Nadal on clay.

Murray should just take it easy and focus on his tennis. He should stop putting pressure on himself.

lawrence
11-26-2009, 03:36 AM
It might also be because Federer has criticized his game, maybe Murray might want to make Federer eat his words and beat him with that defensive style.

joeri888
11-26-2009, 03:38 AM
It might also be because Federer has criticized his game, maybe Murray might want to make Federer eat his words and beat him with that defensive style.

Even at YEC last year, Fed was proven right by Murray. Fed said that his style would be very energy consuming and tough to keep up. Fed was proven right in the semis last year, even though he lost to murray.

Weathered33
11-26-2009, 03:49 AM
Err guys, reasonable posts critisizing Murray are not allowed on this board.

The correct answer is he's an ugly, whiny pusher with 0 slams.

CMM
11-26-2009, 03:50 AM
Err guys, reasonable posts critisizing Murray are not allowed on this board.

The correct answer is he's an ugly, whiny pusher with 0 slams.
Murray is not ugly.

Spider
11-26-2009, 04:44 AM
I think for Murray beating Federer is a very big goal and I wouldn't be surprised if it ranked as high for him as maybe winning a slam does, at this point in time.

Not many can talk about a positive head to head with someone as successful as Federer, with atleast 10 matches played against him, so I don't think that's actually a bad thing.

fps
11-26-2009, 04:46 AM
I think he puts too much kudos on himself for beating Federer outside big events. Federer in the big ones is a different beast.

I also think he reckons he can take out lower-ranked players by just waiting for errors. This seems to be his version of the way in which Federer can ease past players without wasting energy. In reality Federer raises his game once a set on return games in early rounds of slams and punishes his opponent. Murray plays at a constant lower level, which allows a big swinging hard hitter to play through him.

Federer respects his opponents in the important tournies in a way Murray hasn't learned to yet. Murray is definitely obsessed with big scalps, and loses focus on the task in hand. That is why he lost to Cilic at the US Open.

kOaMaster
11-26-2009, 04:59 AM
yeah, probably true.

can imagine that he forgets to not only play good vs federer but also vs everybody else BEFORE he even gets close winning vs federer. a little bit the same like some nadal-stuff: if you don't reach the finals, you won't face federer and even have a chance beating him.

AAAA
11-26-2009, 05:45 AM
Absolutely. He's been reading TW Pro player talk every night and realises that greatness is not defined by how many big titles you win. Oh no, greatness is defined by how often one can beat Federer. A winning record makes one the better player and more deserving GOAT potential.

Seriously though I've noticed Murray expends too much emotional and mental energy in big matches be it against Federer or a 2nd week slam match. Against Wawrinka this year at Wimbledon, he looked mentally drained after defeating him. Now Wawrinka is a capable player but any one touted with the potential to win at least a few slams shouldn't be so drained after beating a player like Wawrinka. Wawrinka played well but Murray if he is to be true slam winning material should be able to raise his level without much mental effort against the lesser players. So far it seems to take too much effort for him.

edit: I also think Murray isn't really that fit. He has improved his fitness and bulked up a bit but I'm I still see him wilting in longer matches even when he should be fresh because the previous round matches were straight sets.

Omega_7000
11-26-2009, 07:00 AM

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j56/xphile66/GIFS/KittyDance.gif

grafselesfan
11-26-2009, 07:26 AM
I think he does. As much as I like to see Federer lose last years TMC was flat out stupid for him. He probably would have won the title had he not been so hell bent on winning that match. Of course I am happy as it turned out as having both Murray and Federer out helped Djokovic bigtime to win it in the end, but from his perspective it was a waste. He needs to realize winning a slam is more important than beating Federer at this point. Granted you probably need to do the latter to do the former, but if you focus too much on the latter it takes away from the big picture that you need to beat any other opponent, not just Roger. Now that he has lost to Roger twice in a row, and has been upset in all 4 slams this year to lower ranked opponents not named Roger, maybe he will adjust his thinking though.

egn
11-26-2009, 08:44 AM
Someone else noticed this. Murray seems to have some sort of grudge/anger/hatred towards Fed and feels he needs to constantly beat him to prove he is better or something. Who knows what it is but he is no longer beating Fed, he has failed to live up to his expectations of him at this point and is looking at a chance of slipping further in the rankings at this rate. If Murray put half as much into beating Marin Cilic as he did when he plays Fed he might have gotten to another slam final. It might have to do with Murray's nasty attitude who knows, but as of late Murray is not like the Murray at the start of the year

lambielspins
11-26-2009, 08:48 AM
Someone else noticed this. Murray seems to have some sort of grudge/anger/hatred towards Fed and feels he needs to constantly beat him to prove he is better or something. Who knows what it is but he is no longer beating Fed, he has failed to live up to his expectations of him at this point and is looking at a chance of slipping further in the rankings at this rate. If Murray put half as much into beating Marin Cilic as he did when he plays Fed he might have gotten to another slam final. It might have to do with Murray's nasty attitude who knows, but as of late Murray is not like the Murray at the start of the year

If that is his attitude he is an idiot since even if he beat Federer 200 times in a row nobody (other than the crazy Murrytards) would consider him better when Federer has 15 slams and Murray has zippo. Yes he needs to start worrying about other players as well, and get over his Federer obsession. It is great to want to beat Federer of course, but he has to start thinking why he cant beat these other players more too, and why cant even get back in a slam final. As things are now he is set to for a continued slide downwards unless things change.

MuseFan
11-26-2009, 08:52 AM
Mandy is finished. Stick a fork in her.