PDA

View Full Version : I can't hit smooth 2hbh.

dunlo
11-26-2009, 06:46 AM
Hi
This is my problem.
I cant hit smooth 2hbh.
Especially at warmups.
that is a pain when i warm up for a match.
I automaticly hit slices as i must hit 2hbh.
I can make smooth spin etc with fh but 2hbh is problem.
It sometimes gets better after i hit some hard groundies but sometimes it is lost.

DavaiMarat
11-26-2009, 06:55 AM
Hi
This is my problem.
I cant hit smooth 2hbh.
Especially at warmups.
It sometimes gets better after i hit some hard groundies but sometimes it is lost.

2 things.

Loosen your grip especially with your right hand (dominant hand), the reason most 2HBH are awkward looking is because of over use of the dominant hand.

Start with the hand's near the waist on your take back. That way it makes sure you pull the cap toward the target thus creating a nice smooth snap and lift.

autumn_leaf
11-26-2009, 07:40 AM
i'm going through the same problem, it's why i go back and forth between a 1hbh and a 2hbh. the 2hbh is more consistent but not smooth which robs me of a lot of power, whereas the 1hbh is a lot less consistent but is a lot more smoother.

i agree with Davai, loosening up on the grip helped with making the stroke smoother. would you mind stating what grip you use. i use a semiwestern/eastern for my left hand and continental for my right hand (i'm a righty). also i loosen up on both hands, not just my dominant one.

another thing is to prepare with either an open stance or neutral stance. i prep with a somewhat closed stance until recently which was more constricting and didn't allow for better rotation of my body.

hope this has helped.

-David

LeeD
11-26-2009, 07:45 AM
and practicing it about 4 days a week for a couple years might help.
When you hit tons of balls, you learn to relax and smooth things out, or you injure yourself.

dunlo
11-27-2009, 05:26 AM
I would go for 1hbh if i had a choice.

Practice..ok..but fh smooth 2hbh not.

This is awkward.

jazzyfunkybluesy
11-27-2009, 05:32 AM
Hi
This is my problem.
I cant hit smooth 2hbh.
Especially at warmups.

Im with you I cant hit a 2 hander either feels backwards. Try a one hander.

dunlo
11-28-2009, 11:57 AM
I spent some time by the wall today.
I found out that when i dont show buttcab thing happen and 2hb becomes problem.
It all starts to flow as i start to show buttcab.
So be easy with the wrists.

dunlo
11-28-2009, 11:08 PM
2 things.

Loosen your grip especially with your right hand (dominant hand), the reason most 2HBH are awkward looking is because of over use of the dominant hand.

Start with the hand's near the waist on your take back. That way it makes sure you pull the cap toward the target thus creating a nice smooth snap and lift.

Very true thanks.

CallOfBooty
11-29-2009, 06:44 PM
Hi
This is my problem.
I cant hit smooth 2hbh.
Especially at warmups.

Try to add a loop motion if you don't already on your 2hbh. The 2hbh is an off-arm dominant shot, but both of your arms must stay relaxed and fluid at all times. Also you said you have trouble hitting smooth spin. Make sure you bend your knees low and exaggerate this because then your racket will be lower as well and you can hit from below the ball to create topspin. Assuming you are an intermediate/3.5 ish player, I would suggest you begin learning how to employ your wrist in the shot. A lot of people say there should be no wrist movement in any shot except the serve, but I personally disagree. My take on the no wrist movement is that it most likely started when someone was using all wrist and no body turn or leg power in their shot. If you have a good unit turn, strong foundation, and bent knees, then you are already using your whole body in the shot. Now what you can do with your relaxed and fluid arms on the 2hbh is you can drop the wrist a little bit and work on timing your shot so that when you come from the bottom of the loop of your stroke your wrist kind of "pulls" the ball up creating topspin. Don't overthink this however, try to make this wrist movement a passive habit along with using the rest of your body. This way you are fully incorporating your whole body into the shot. You will have trouble timing the 2hbh, but with practice it will get better.

Nellie
11-29-2009, 10:01 PM
keep your fore-hand arm tucked into your side. Everything works like magic than.