PDA

View Full Version : What really annoys me about Andy Murray

shadows
11-26-2009, 10:03 AM
I can live with the incessantly screeched come ons, I can manage to look at the brashirt for 3 sets without wanting to put my eyes out, and I can handle watching his style of tennis (even if I do find it pretty boring).

What really bothers me is his yelps of frustration and awful negative body language when his opponent wins a point. I can understand being annoyed with yourself if you net an easy forehand mid rally, I can understand a come one when your opponent makes an error to give you bp, but when your opponent comes up with a great winner or bangs down an ace, to let out a petulant whine of anguish is just ridiculous.

I know it's not like he does it every time it happens, and I know he'll occasionally let out a little "yep" on an opponents winner, but lately when he's down in a match he just slips into this attitude where his opponents good play is met with annoyance, as if the only reason they've managed to come up with a great shot is because of Murray's failings.

Meh, it's a pretty small thing, but I just feel it's a discredit to his opponents tennis, and that it's a bad thing for him to be doing mentally for his own game too.

joeri888
11-26-2009, 10:05 AM
What strikes me is that he come ons more on opponent errors than on his own great rallies. He's also more frustrated by aces and winners of his opponent, than by his own good play.

Serendipitous
11-26-2009, 10:06 AM
I know what you mean.

Verdasco was serving at 30-40, 0-1 in the final set and he hit an unreturnable serve.

Murray immediately screamed "NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!" and gestured to his box several times.

Wow, just wow. It's really starting to annoy me. What a drama queen. :(

Mustard
11-26-2009, 10:08 AM
Lleyton Hewitt's c'mons are miles better than Andy Murray's. Murray really needs to sort out his body language on the court, as it's negative at a lot of crucial times.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-26-2009, 10:08 AM
He is a very good player when he is on but his personality is just terribly boring and annoying. Why doesnt someone tell him? He should be sent to charm-school for an entire year.

Blinkism
11-26-2009, 10:10 AM
He yells "cmon" at opponent unforced errors. He does this without the charm that Hewitt did it with and the intensity Nadal used to Vamos with.

No, he just sounds like some second-tier regional junior trying to pump himself up because he coach taught him that being vocal and positive is key to winning or some other garbage.

He's overly-passive

He's overly-hyped

And he's misbehaved and whiney.

On top of this he had ridiculous pipe dreams of winning slams all the time and he's going on about reaching #1 at any time, although he doesn't have the game for either.

He's also pretty arrogant if he thinks he's anywhere in Fed's league because he had a big lead in the H2H. He's about to lose his lead in the H2H, anyways, so it's no worries.

Just a very unfavorable character.

He wasn't this bad in 2006 and 2007.

He's gotten progressively worse and I blame the British media.

Oh, and he's a pusher.

If I was forced to name one thing I like about Murray that would be his serve. That's about it.

CMM
11-26-2009, 10:11 AM
I can live with the incessantly screeched come ons, I can manage to look at the brashirt for 3 sets without wanting to put my eyes out, and I can handle watching his style of tennis (even if I do find it pretty boring).

What really bothers me is his yelps of frustration and awful negative body language when his opponent wins a point. I can understand being annoyed with yourself if you net an easy forehand mid rally, I can understand a come one when your opponent makes an error to give you bp, but when your opponent comes up with a great winner or bangs down an ace, to let out a petulant whine of anguish is just ridiculous.

I know it's not like he does it every time it happens, and I know he'll occasionally let out a little "yep" on an opponents winner, but lately when he's down in a match he just slips into this attitude where his opponents good play is met with annoyance, as if the only reason they've managed to come up with a great shot is because of Murray's failings.

Meh, it's a pretty small thing, but I just feel it's a discredit to his opponents tennis, and that it's a bad thing for him to be doing mentally for his own game too.
When you have a photo of Monfils as your avatar, you cannot say these things.

Breaker
11-26-2009, 10:16 AM
Djokovic and Nadal kept doing this yesterday. No threads on their behaviour I notice.

William Bedford
11-26-2009, 10:28 AM
Cheering on opponents errors is just wrong. His post match quotes can be pretty stupid at times as well. Wish there was more offense from him and less push....

Really hope that Fed and Andy meet again.

egn
11-26-2009, 10:28 AM
Paris 2008 I remember a point where Murray looked like he said something to Nalbandian after Nalbandian hit a drop **** winner that caught murray off balance. As if Murray was digusted at Nalbandian for making the better shot. Murray has a fair share of attitude issues that need to be adjusted on court.

For those wondering its at 5:30 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AmYlLjGjcI watch the rally after is over Murray is looking towards Nalbandian side and saying some angry words. That whole match he was making this disgusted looks on points Nalbandian won.

He also did it a lot in the Cilic match. Murray seems like the type who would throw a fit if a player did a tweener on him, or an amazing dive save or something. Instead of just being in awe.

Blinkism
11-26-2009, 10:34 AM
Djokovic and Nadal kept doing this yesterday. No threads on their behaviour I notice.

Yeah, because people like them.

They both have slams, so they command immediate respect. They are top competitors and not lucky pushers.

And their voices don't sound like their going through puberty with their voices cracking.

It's called charisma. Murray seriously lacks it.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-26-2009, 10:36 AM
Yeah, because people like them.

They both have slams, so they command immediate respect. They are top competitors and not lucky pushers.

And their voices don't sound like their going through puberty with their voices cracking.

It's called charisma. Murray seriously lacks it.

Blinkism :shock:
The other day you told me to take it easy on my Nadal rants!:)

Btw, i totally agree with you, and i wanna add that Djokovic and Nadal have at least some sense of humour

JeMar
11-26-2009, 10:37 AM

Oooooh, burn. Sad, but true.

Blinkism
11-26-2009, 10:40 AM
Blinkism :shock:
The other day you told me to take it easy on my Nadal rants!:)

Btw, i totally agree with you, and i wanna add that Djokovic and Nadal have at least some sense of humour

Hey, TMOP! Maybe I am taking it too far.

I need to stop watching Murray matches... I always get worked up when he starts with the "cmon" garbage and his pusher game.

I just love seeing him lose so it's worth the risk to watch his matches :twisted:

tudwell
11-26-2009, 10:41 AM
This thread is right on the money. I remember at least two times today that Murray was on the dead run, chasing down a huge forehand from Verdasco, and could do nothing but pop up a defensive lob. Both times the lob sailed long, and Murray started whining and gesturing and making a big to-do, as if he expects to make that shot 100% of the time.

He was getting ridiculously obnoxious in the third set. His "come ons" when he's winning are bad enough, but now I can't even enjoy watching him lose!

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-26-2009, 10:43 AM

I need to stop watching Murray matches... I always get worked up when he starts with the "cmon" garbage and his pusher game.

I just love seeing him lose so it's worth the risk to watch his matches :twisted:

Well I agree.

Players I like: Federer,Soderling,Roddick
Players i dislike: Nadal Djokovic
Players that make me wanna go hang myself: Murray Stepanek
EDIT: Dont worry, Soderling will spank his *** in the SF

joeri888
11-26-2009, 10:45 AM
Let's get him to the final. H2h is 6-5 by sunday.

Jim A
11-26-2009, 10:46 AM
I think he's just the type of person that you either like or he rubs you the wrong way.

I've never been a fan of Murray, was pulling for Verdasco today but oh well...pulling for Fernando can be just as maddening!

batz
11-26-2009, 10:49 AM

You get sadder by the day my friend.

The thing is I actaully like your guy - so the only comfort I took from him getting reamed this week is the fact the he's your guy.

joeri888
11-26-2009, 10:50 AM

Hi Batz,
Congrats on his victory. Your dream of a Super Sunday's still alive. Rooting for Roger tonight?

Blinkism
11-26-2009, 10:51 AM

Sarcasm, dear batz.

batz
11-26-2009, 10:52 AM
Sarcasm, dear batz.

Bollox on stilts.

Invective dear Blink.

malakas
11-26-2009, 10:52 AM
come here and register!!
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=282723

also there's a facebook group!We need to be organised!:mrgreen:

Batz bec we don't like Murray,doesn't mean we don't like some of his fans.Though they have bad taste..some are cool:p

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-26-2009, 10:53 AM
I think he's just the type of person that you either like or he rubs you the wrong way.

I've never been a fan of Murray, was pulling for Verdasco today but oh well...pulling for Fernando can be just as maddening!

Pulling for Fernando will send one into a mental institution :shock:

LiveForever
11-26-2009, 10:53 AM
I am a djokovic fan but he was acting like a ahole yesterday everytime soderling won a point. Sickening.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-26-2009, 10:54 AM
come here and register!!
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=282723

also there's a facebook group!We need to be organised!:mrgreen:

Batz bec we don't like Murray,doesn't mean we don't like some of his fans.Though they have bad taste..some are cool:p

Thats true-I like batz-i dont like Murray

Blinkism
11-26-2009, 10:54 AM
Bollox on stilts.

Invective dear Blink.

I didn't understand any of that :shock:!

I was just reading some thread the other day where I posted in back in the spring about how good of a backhand Murray has and how he will surprise everyone during the clay season and is due for an upset over Nadal.

What was I thinking?

I wonder where it all went wrong.

I'm thinking it was the Murray-Wawrinka match...

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-26-2009, 10:55 AM
I am a djokovic fan but he was acting like a ahole yesterday everytime soderling won a point. Sickening.

Thats a healthy fan, i can critisize Federer aswell, im not a blind fan-boy. Ive critisized him lots of times in the past.

Blinkism
11-26-2009, 10:56 AM
Thats true-I like batz-i dont like Murray

Same.

There are a few obnoxious Murray fans, but batz is definitely not one of them..

obnoxious, that is

batz
11-26-2009, 10:58 AM

I was just reading some thread the other day where I posted in back in the spring about how good of a backhand Murray has and how he will surprise everyone during the clay season and is due for an upset over Nadal.

What was I thinking?

I remember that - I nearly choked on my beer:)

You keep em coming Blink - you're good value mate.

malakas
11-26-2009, 11:00 AM

What was I thinking?

yeahh..the whole Wimbledon but specially that match.

Anway..Murray I guess is the guy everyone loves to "hate".:)

Here's a nice page about him too.:mrgreen:
http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/UnBooks:The_secret_diary_of_Andrew_Murray,_aged_20 %C2%BE

The secret diary of Andrew Murray, aged 20
lol

batz
11-26-2009, 11:03 AM
yeahh..the whole Wimbledon but specially that match.

Anway..Murray I guess is the guy everyone loves to "hate".:)

Here's a nice page about him too.:mrgreen:
http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/UnBooks:The_secret_diary_of_Andrew_Murray,_aged_20 %C2%BE

The secret diary of Andrew Murray, aged 20
lol

That's pretty funny.:):)

Blinkism
11-26-2009, 11:21 AM
Blinkism's slow progression into madness!

March 2009
Murray? He's a good player, but I fear he'll end up in the long list that includes Haas, Norman, Corretja, Okker, Nalbandian, Forget, and Enqvist as talented players who couldn't overcome the competition of the day (although they did pose a legitimate threat) to win a slam or get that #1 spot.

He has a chance of getting that slam or that #1 spot after Fed and Nad are not really competition anymore. Not this year, though.

Put that in the equation. I think Nadal's got a bigger chance than most people are giving him. Murray and Djokovic are great players (more so Djoko than Murray, IMO), but I just can't see them beating Fed at the USO this year.

April 2009
Murray's dismantling of Verdasco just goes to show you how he handles hard hitting players who like going to the net. Can't take anything for granted, but Nadal's struggled this whole tournament (almost losing a set to Gil, and going 2 tiebreaks with Wawrinka), whereas Murray's coasted through to the semi's.

Murray in 2.

Didn't see the match, but good job Murray! Should be a good final!

I think Murray is the wildcard in this Clay Season for Nadal.

I'm thinking Djokovic and Federer will have the same or similar seasons as last year's clay season. Murray, however, has improved since then, and so logically his clay game must be improved.

and skip ahead to November 2009

Murray needs to be banned from professional tennis and sentenced to spend 3 seasons on the ITF Future's circuit until he improves his strokes and starts playing aggressively.

What a pusher!

URGHHHHH :twisted:

Me Angry!

Me Smash ThingS!

Yes, that last quote was completely made up, but other stuff is real. It's worth a laugh :lol:

Also, this is something funny, too

It's easy to be a Nadal fan or a Fed fan and call people trolls, try being a Djokovic or Murray fan here.

Truer words have never been spoken.

And then taken back.

:)

Cheers,
Blink

malakas
11-26-2009, 11:24 AM
That's pretty funny.:):)

yes haha!It's pretty funny :mrgreen: I wonder who wrote that,maybe someone english.

Andy has a nice humour though,I strongly disagree with those who say he has dull personality.He has plenty of personality..it's just that it's a annoying one.

jamesblakefan#1
11-26-2009, 11:28 AM

The reason why so many don't like Murray is the same reason I don't like Djokovic. His attitude out there on the court...I don't like it. He seems so arrogant to me.

shadows
11-26-2009, 11:37 AM

I can and I will; the major gripes people have with Monfils are the extent to which he (over)celebrates his successes, not that he expresses frustration/displeasure at the successes of others ^^

I didn't see Djokovic play so can't comment, but I didn't really see Nadal exhibiting a negative reaction towards Davydenkos good points?

boojay
11-26-2009, 11:39 AM
You're not the only one, OP. By nature, Murray is very annoying. I'm aware of the annoying tendencies you're referring to, but he also has this interesting quirk whenever a winner is struck passed him that's going to be a winner, but he decides to chase it anyway and tries to be dramatic about it by clanging his racquet on the ground, tripping, and then coming to the realization that his @$$ just got handed to him. Watch any highlight clip of his last three WTF matches. Each and every time he's wrong-footed, you hear his racquet smack the ground and him look like a fool, trying desperately to reach a shot that is clearly a winner.

settolove
11-26-2009, 12:10 PM
I couldn't agree more. I can't stand Murray's on-court antics and that's before I get into his boring game. I could probably stomach his boring game if it wasn't for the on-court antics.

big bang
11-26-2009, 12:15 PM
I agree with you guys, cant stand Murray hes a jerk on court!
it could be funny though if he played doubles with Monfils, that would be the most annoying team in history of tennis:)

Rhino
11-26-2009, 12:40 PM
Good post, but just about everything annoys me about Andy Murray.

CCNM
11-26-2009, 12:55 PM
Andy looks annoying!!! Ha ha ha ha ha! Does he still roll up his sleeves & flex his biceps?-that's what I hate!!!

FEDEXP
11-26-2009, 02:37 PM
I know it's very looksist of me but I just don't want to look at the guy; He's homely and then he makes these faces and it's worse.

Firestorm
11-26-2009, 02:38 PM
What do you want him to do. Nothing? He's not like that. He hates making mistakes. Hell, if you think he is bad, be glad I'm not a player.

Firestorm
11-26-2009, 02:39 PM
Andy looks annoying!!! Ha ha ha ha ha! Does he still roll up his sleeves & flex his biceps?-that's what I hate!!!
You must really loathe ******.

TheTruth
11-27-2009, 12:48 AM
I like Murray. I'm glad Shadows made this thread, because I couldn't figure out why so many people were saying they didn't like him. I thought last year people liked him plenty.

Defcon
11-27-2009, 01:01 AM
Murray is definitely polarizing, you either love him or hate him.

Well apart from the 37 drunk Scottish lads, its mostly hate :D

mawashi
11-27-2009, 01:13 AM
Watching Murry play is like watching milk sour.

If he was a animal, he would most certainly be an *****.

Brays like one, looks like one, acts like one.

mawashi

TheTruth
11-27-2009, 01:24 AM

mawashi

What is this about the bra, brashirt? I must have missed that too.

hemat23
11-27-2009, 02:07 AM
Im not really quite sure why, but everytime Andy makes this expression:

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k97/henriktveit/_46797175_murray466.jpg

I just want to slap his face with a giant fitness ball :shock:

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k97/henriktveit/865-443481.jpg

Conquistador
11-27-2009, 03:11 AM
I think Murray is a heck of a player. He obviously has big time game. Everyone that criticizes him is ignorant due to the fact that they probally havent seen him play live to appreciate how good he really is.

malakas
11-27-2009, 03:25 AM

mawashi

What???No!!

Donkeys are my most favourite animal,and they have nothing in common with Murray!!!:mad:

jazzyfunkybluesy
11-27-2009, 03:29 AM
Whats this loud tapping of the raquet that Murray is doing now when down in a point. One of the american commentators pointed out that Murray might be doing this on purpose to distract. Murray = Connors - Talent.

Outbeyond
11-27-2009, 03:35 AM
I think Murray is a heck of a player. He obviously has big time game. Everyone that criticizes him is ignorant due to the fact that they probally havent seen him play live to appreciate how good he really is.

LOL!

Murray's antics on court aren't bothersome at all...they're rather amusing. [I grew up on McEnroe/Connors tennis, though, so on-court drama is part of the fun for me!] But what I am coming around to see, and I've only starting watching Murray play, is that he doesn't seem to be a take-it-home kind of guy. His wilt to Roger was weird, given all the hoopla (even from Agassi) about Murray being the Next Big Thing.