PDA

View Full Version : Back brace for tennis?

Frank Silbermann
11-26-2009, 11:05 AM
For a person recovering from low back pain, would it make sense to wear a back brace while playing? My physical therapist says it sounds like a good idea -- she says it would be very bad to wear a back brace all the time because I would grow dependent on it, but she says they're good to wear during unusual exertion.

But are any back braces suitable for a sport like tennis? If so, which ones would be most effective?

El Diablo
11-26-2009, 11:16 AM
For most back problems it is the up and down trauma that is most damaging, to disks and nerve roots. A back brace may limit side-to-side and rotational movement a bit but isn't going to do anything to prevent the vertical trauma.

Frank Silbermann
11-29-2009, 11:55 AM
For most back problems it is the up and down trauma that is most damaging, to disks and nerve roots. A back brace may limit side-to-side and rotational movement a bit but isn't going to do anything to prevent the vertical trauma. I am skeptical that up-and-down trauma is most damaging, since most people's back goes out when they lift incorrectly (which, though strenuous, is not "high impact"). Also, mine began with over-twisting and bending forward for two-handed backhands and is most irritated by that. Certainly if you do a _weighted_ average (not just the number of back injuries, but weighted by importance -- mine being by far the most important), then bending and rotation becomes the primary problem.

El Diablo
11-29-2009, 02:24 PM
You miss the point. How the back goes out and what causes damage subsequently are separate issues entirely. Yes, when you lean forward or bend, you can cause the disk to protrude from the vertebral interspace and get stuck there, a.k.a. herniated disk. The disk is now partially out and being squeezed by the vertebrae above and below it. AT THIS POINT, AND HENCEFORTH, vertical trauma will further squeeze and damage the disk and perhaps also any nerve roots sticking out.

dantesinferno18
11-29-2009, 06:01 PM
idk if this is your problem but try stretching daily if you already are not. It can do wonders, one possibility is tight hamstings putting stress on your lower back

Itagaki
11-29-2009, 09:51 PM
I've hurt my back from lifting incorrectly but the pain was never really an issue while playing tennis...except for bending over to pick up a ball, wouldnt recommend that

Frank Silbermann
12-01-2009, 07:24 PM
I've hurt my back from lifting incorrectly but the pain was never really an issue while playing tennis...except for bending over to pick up a ball, wouldn't recommend that Right, there are all types of ways a back can be injured, and some injuries are irritated more by shock and compression, others by bending, and others by twisting.

When my back first went out over 25 years ago, that's when I learned to pick up a ball using my racket.

LuckyR
12-02-2009, 11:14 AM
In my opinion if you asking the question, you are not ready to play tennis. Tennis has a lot of sudden movements, the purpose of a back brace is to remind you that you have an injury and so to use correct posture and go easy. Neither of which will be on your mind when you make a sudden movement like tennis requires.

mawashi
12-02-2009, 05:17 PM
I'm not sure you should even be playing tennis unless it's mini tennis.

The torsional stress from swinging a forehand n backhand is pretty severe not to mention the stress on the back from the service action.

mawashi

LeeD
12-02-2009, 05:47 PM
Of course, depends on the exact injury.
And depends how well you've recovered.
Try kidney belts, found at motorcycle shops that cater to motocross or atv off road bikes. NO bike rider would ride without kidney belts. Keeps your insides in their correct position and keeps your spine aligned. All are vented material, have back stays, and can be adjusted for tightness and support as needed. About $40.