PDA

View Full Version : Federer did not tank.

harinder
11-26-2009, 03:19 PM
Why do people automaticaly assume this? Its simply a coincidence. As JBF pointed out, federer could not have known the exact scenario plus im sure his pride meant more.

Even if he did somehow know, dont you think he would rather face murray anyway? When Fed's A game is on, he is most likely going to beat murray whereas the same cannot be said against Del Potro. Federer couldnt break DP tonight and was outpowered from the basline.

He is the defending US Champion and when his game is on, i think hes unbeatable. He started of nervous against murray but hes found his stride now and is only going to get better for the rest of the tournament.

DP is definately a bigger threat to Fed than Murray is.

Tsonga#1fan
11-26-2009, 03:21 PM
He didn't tank. He just got beat.

Rhino
11-26-2009, 03:22 PM
I don't think people really believe he tanked but there is just that little bit of "what if" because it was in his hands right at the end there to 'chose' Murray or Del Potro, whether he knew it or not.

jrod
11-26-2009, 03:22 PM
^^^ We need Storm to give us the definitive ruling on a conspiracy....

Well Storm? What say you? Did Fed send Nosferatu home to mummy?

shadows
11-26-2009, 03:24 PM
Very few people really believe he tanked imo, most (including myself) are just having some fun and reveling in the hilarity of how the situation worked out

grafselesfan
11-26-2009, 03:24 PM
Who cares. I dont even like Federer and I think he tanked since it looked pretty obvious with that duck game he threw in out of the blue, and then no effort in the last game either. However it doesnt matter, and it isnt even worth caring about either way. The RR is concluding, the year end rankings are almost all set, and the semis and finals are coming up and will be exciting.

grafselesfan
11-26-2009, 03:26 PM
Why do people automaticaly assume this? Its simply a coincidence. As JBF pointed out, federer could not have known the exact scenario plus im sure his pride meant more.

Even if he did somehow know, dont you think he would rather face murray anyway? When Fed's A game is on, he is most likely going to beat murray whereas the same cannot be said against Del Potro. Federer couldnt break DP tonight and was outpowered from the basline.

He is the defending US Champion and when his game is on, i think hes unbeatable. He started of nervous against murray but hes found his stride now and is only going to get better for the rest of the tournament.

You are overstating Del Potros ability quite a bit. His game is unbeatable when he is on you claim. You do realize he still has horrible head to heads with everyone in the top 5 other than Nadal, especialy Djokovic and Murray (who he lost to again this week). He is on the rise and he is definitely a legit top 5 player and force, however you make him sound like he is Sampras already or something.

AAAA
11-26-2009, 03:28 PM
This is round robin tennis, Federer's the oldest guy out there he needs the rest more than any other.

joeri888
It was a bad match, with a decent second set, and some intens stuff in the tiebreak. But I agree Fed didn't tank. He just played bad.

jrod
Going in he knew how many games Delpo needed to come in 2nd. He also knew how many games he had to get and give, and there was some margin to play with there.

I say Fed cooked Murray on purpose.

sureshs
11-26-2009, 03:30 PM
He didn't tank, but he was careless after 3-3 in the third set, when he missed some very simple shots. One reason was he was not finding it easy to get the break and put away DP. The other is that he was relieved he won the second set and avoided the knockout. Deep inside, he knew that he was going to the semifinals.

But DP beat him fair and square and should be considered the better player.

iamke55
11-26-2009, 03:31 PM
Considering Murray did everything in his power to eliminate Fed last year, I don't see why Federer would bother to take the effort to let Murray qualify this year.

federerfanatic
11-26-2009, 03:31 PM
Roger only played 3 truly good sets of tennis for his standards out 9 sets played here. The 3rd set vs Verdasco and the 2nd and 3rd sets vs Murray. He did not tank, it is a miracle he has done as well as he has in this elite field of great players who all brought their A games vs him (minus Murray in the 2nd half) while barely going past his own C game. It also shows how funny tennis is sometimes as I thought he played very well in Paris and still lost to a playing out of his mind opponent who isnt even top 30 that day.

In anycase I think he has struggled right from the get go with his own form this event. I had hoped the 2nd half of the Murray match would bring him to life but certainly wasnt the case today. I am just happy he eked into the semis in such sluggish form, and now has the good luck to possibly play 1 of his pigeons like Soderling or Davydenko, or a tired and sluggish Djokovic there. Unless he finds his A game he is probably losing to Del Potro in the final though.

jamesblakefan#1
11-26-2009, 03:32 PM
Who cares. I dont even like Federer and I think he tanked since it looked pretty obvious with that duck game he threw in out of the blue, and then no effort in the last game either. However it doesnt matter, and it isnt even worth caring about either way. The RR is concluding, the year end rankings are almost all set, and the semis and finals are coming up and will be exciting.

I love how you throw that in there in every single one of your posts. As if we don't know already.

sureshs
11-26-2009, 03:33 PM
Unless he finds his A game he is probably losing to Del Potro in the final though.

And he deserves to. DP is the better player and Fed's era has ended.

Tsonga#1fan
11-26-2009, 03:34 PM
If Murray hadn't played so crappy against Verdasco, he would have qualified. That was his usual sloppy game IMO.

Blinkism
11-26-2009, 03:34 PM
He didn't tank, but he was careless after 3-3 in the third set, when he missed some very simple shots. One reason was he was not finding it easy to get the break and put away DP. The other is that he was relieved he won the second set and avoided the knockout. Deep inside, he knew that he was going to the semifinals.

But DP beat him fair and square and should be considered the better player.

I think Fed figured out that he basically qualified at that point and it was tough to be as hungry and motivated as Del Potro was.

fps
11-26-2009, 03:35 PM
he went on court knowing the exact scenario and exactly how many games, in what arrangement, he needed to win in order to go through.

christos_liaskos
11-26-2009, 03:41 PM
What I think most of you guys will have missed out on was the on court interview after the match. When the interviewer announced to Del Potro and the crowd that the win had meant Del Potro had gone through and Murray was out there was completely silence in the stadium! It was one of the most unbelievable 15 minutes or so I have ever seen on tv!

First the way the last 3 games played out and then the complete let-down of the crowd on hearing the news! Normally you would expect them to give a huge congratulatory cheer for Del Potro for qualifying but they were just stunned at what it meant!

Rhino
11-26-2009, 03:57 PM
The only thing that would've made it better would've been a a live tv feed into Andy Murrays living room for those last three games. :)

Priceless.

pound cat
11-26-2009, 04:01 PM
How stupid to even think that Federer would ever tank. He has too much ego to even THINK that he might lose a match, let alone deliberately plan to lose and show the world that he might be fallible.

(0n th e other hand he has no respect or likiing for Murray for whom he no doubt sees as a twit , and he no doubt respects DelPotro for his professionalism, gentlemanly court demeanor, and good manners)

NO ..no way Federer would ever fluff a few games to ensure Delpo was in the semi's and Murray was out ...even if he had the vaguest notion of the percentage seesaw that was taking place as the match unfolded.

pound cat
11-26-2009, 04:02 PM
The only thing that would've made it better would've been a a live tv feed into Andy Murrays living room for those last three games. :)

Priceless.

You sadist. LOL

christos_liaskos
11-26-2009, 04:02 PM
What I think most of you guys will have missed out on was the on court interview after the match. When the interviewer announced to Del Potro and the crowd that the win had meant Del Potro had gone through and Murray was out there was completely silence in the stadium! It was one of the most unbelievable 15 minutes or so I have ever seen on tv!

First the way the last 3 games played out and then the complete let-down of the crowd on hearing the news! Normally you would expect them to give a huge congratulatory cheer for Del Potro for qualifying but they were just stunned at what it meant!

As far as the whole consiparacy rubbish...at 3-3 when Del Potro was break point down, he hit a 2nd serve that caught the back of the line, he was about 1cm away there from going out of the tournament so i dont think the players were aware of what was going on mathematically. Also, during the on court interview Del Potro didnt believe it when he was told that he was through and it took another 5-10 minutes before an ATP official confirmed it for him and he actually believed he had made it through.

Priceless.

I was thinking the whole time that Murray must have been smashing his tv in and trashing his hotel room :D

malakas
11-26-2009, 04:03 PM

Priceless.

at least we got twitter.that's smth :mrgreen:

stormholloway
11-26-2009, 04:03 PM
^^^ We need Storm to give us the definitive ruling on a conspiracy....

Well Storm? What say you? Did Fed send Nosferatu home to mummy?

I didn't even know he lost until I was scrolling down to another sub-forum and this spoiler thread popped into my head.

Goddamned spoiler.

JennyS
11-26-2009, 04:05 PM

Priceless.

I would pay money to see it!

defrule
11-26-2009, 04:13 PM
Hard to say.

It's easy to say Federer did or did not tank the match.

BUT put yourself in his shoes, would you have tanked the match? I know for certain I would have just to kick Murray in the teeth.

jrod
11-26-2009, 04:15 PM
I didn't even know he lost until I was scrolling down to another sub-forum and this spoiler thread popped into my head.

Goddamned spoiler.

That's it? That's all you got Storm?

HunterST
11-26-2009, 05:11 PM
To beat Del Potro, Federer needs to play more defensively like Murray. Del Potro just has too big of an offensive game. Federer's defense is far superior though. He needs to play to Del Po's weaknesses (if you can call them weak).

scineram
11-26-2009, 05:14 PM

Tivo guys! TIVO AND TUBE!

dh003i
11-26-2009, 05:21 PM

Sorry, but the idea that Del Potro's game is "unbeatable" when he is on is BS. Laughable. The only guy who's game is unbeatable when he's on (except for clay vs. Nadal), is Federer. There are 15 slams to back that up. Federer was comfortably handling Del Potro in the USO finals until his level dropped and he changed strategy.

Talk about disrespect.

Del Potro played great to beat Federer, but if Federer plays his best, he's going to beat Del Potro's best.

malakas
11-26-2009, 05:22 PM
Fed's answer on tanking:
http://multimedia.quotidianonet.ilsole24ore.com/?tipo=media&media=8474

dh003i
11-26-2009, 05:28 PM

Laughable. Your an idiot. DP is the better player? Yea, that's funny. Sorry, but the guy isn't winning 15 GS, not even close.

He was the better player at the USO and in this match, in which Federer only needed one set to progress. (this is why I think the RR format should be abolished completely).

But the better player? LOL. Yea, who's ranked #1 by an enormous margin? Who's had by _far_ the better year, with wins at Wimbledon and the FO, and the FO win going through a win over Del Potro playing his A-game?

You are just a biased and bitter person.

I'm pretty sure that you can ask all of the pros on the tour, even Del Potro himself, and they're going to say Federer is the better player.

sureshs
11-26-2009, 07:09 PM
I think Fed figured out that he basically qualified at that point and it was tough to be as hungry and motivated as Del Potro was.

True. There was a noticeable loss of motivation. But still DP had Federer running side to side like a junior player.

I suspect Fed likes DP and Nadal, and dislikes Djokovic and Murray. He asked DP at the net whether he had made it. He doesn't seem to feel the same hurt losing to DP compared to losing to others.

Or it could be that Fed knows DP is the real deal and respects him as superior to himself.

Or maybe his testosterone levels have gone down after marriage and kids and he sees the world in a new, non-competitive perspective.

malakas
11-26-2009, 07:10 PM
Or maybe he's in love with DelPotro and that's why he tanked??

:rolleyes:

sureshs
11-26-2009, 07:10 PM
Laughable. Your an idiot. DP is the better player? Yea, that's funny. Sorry, but the guy isn't winning 15 GS, not even close.

He was the better player at the USO and in this match, in which Federer only needed one set to progress. (this is why I think the RR format should be abolished completely).

But the better player? LOL. Yea, who's ranked #1 by an enormous margin? Who's had by _far_ the better year, with wins at Wimbledon and the FO, and the FO win going through a win over Del Potro playing his A-game?

You are just a biased and bitter person.

I'm pretty sure that you can ask all of the pros on the tour, even Del Potro himself, and they're going to say Federer is the better player.

You are just upset your boy is slipping. Why should I ask anyone? I can see the match for myself. 15 Slams in a weaker era doesn't really matter.

sureshs
11-26-2009, 07:11 PM
Or maybe he's in love with DelPotro and that's why he tanked??

:rolleyes:

Del Potro sprays some pheromones in his armpits which makes him irresistible to men.

Polaris
11-26-2009, 07:12 PM
I love how you throw that in there in every single one of your posts. As if we don't know already.

There is a reason for this. Actually, his "grafselesfan" avatar does not like Federer. His other avatars (and there are many here on TW) love Federer to bits. :)

dh003i
11-26-2009, 07:12 PM
True. There was a noticeable loss of motivation. But still DP had Federer running side to side like a junior player.

I suspect Fed likes DP and Nadal, and dislikes Djokovic and Murray. He asked DP at the net whether he had made it. He doesn't seem to feel the same hurt losing to DP compared to losing to others.

Or it could be that Fed knows DP is the real deal and respects him as superior to himself.

Or maybe his testosterone levels have gone down after marriage and kids and he sees the world in a new, non-competitive perspective.

The paragraph about liking Nadal and Delpo more than Murray and Djokovic is the only reasonable thing you've said in this entire thread.

malakas
11-26-2009, 07:15 PM
Del Potro sprays some pheromones in his armpits which makes him irresistible to men.

Yeah.He followed the example of the best.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m105/bagdaddy_2006/rafaelnadal.jpg

GustafsonFanatic
11-26-2009, 07:28 PM
No, he didn't.

He was trying his best to break DP at 3-3 in 3rd set. And Delpo needed lots of luck to hold serve (he hit a big 2nd serve on a BP which miraculously went in).

Maybe he tanked in the next game. That's the only game when he could have tanked and even that's unlikely.

So, no.

Actually, the match was full of "lucky" points (I remember whole bunch of netcords at critical moments). They couldn't have planned that.

Tony48
11-26-2009, 07:28 PM
Of course Fed didn't tank.

Tanking and fixing are 2 different things ;)

dh003i
11-26-2009, 07:34 PM
You are just upset your boy is slipping. Why should I ask anyone? I can see the match for myself. 15 Slams in a weaker era doesn't really matter.

Are you just some bandwagoner jumping from Nadal to Delpo? Or are you a Fed-hater?

Either way, the idea that this decade has been weak is silly. Your going to call Hewitt weak? Well, in his prime, he was beating Sampras.

Btw, I'm glad you admitted Federer isn't as good today as he was in 2006, because the 2006 version would consistently beat Del Potro. But even the 2009 version will beat Delpo when Fed's playing his best. Right now, no matter who Federer plays, the outcome of the match depends on him, because he's just the best player on all surfaces (except maybe Nadal on clay, but Nadal is just in disarray right now).

I thought Federer could have won all of the slams this year. The AO and the USO he had on his racket. He didn't capitalize. But it happens. And worse things happen too, like a player never even being in the match (see Fed vs. Djokovic in 2008 at the AO). In any event, this has still been a great year for Federer. He completed his career with the FO and won Wimbledon again. There's no way to describe that other than phenomenal. He is again the #1 ranked player at the end of the year.

I don't have ridiculous standards, and am not going to complain that my favorite player "only" won 2 grand slams.

sureshs
11-26-2009, 07:40 PM
The paragraph about liking Nadal and Delpo more than Murray and Djokovic is the only reasonable thing you've said in this entire thread.

There are jewels in my posts but it is for the astute reader to retrieve them. There is no free lunch.

Tony48
11-26-2009, 07:58 PM
I thought Federer could have won all of the slams this year. The AO and the USO he had on his racket. He didn't capitalize. But it happens. And worse things happen too, like a player never even being in the match (see Fed vs. Djokovic in 2008 at the AO).

LMAO.

no...

kishnabe
11-26-2009, 08:07 PM
If Federer Tanked it was very genius like since he could have been out of the tournament if it weren't for the game percentage.

dh003i
11-26-2009, 08:20 PM
LMAO.

no...

He was leading both of those matches and let them slip away. It was obvious to any observer.

In any event, he clearly could have won the GS this year.

Tony48
11-26-2009, 08:40 PM
He was leading both of those matches and let them slip away. It was obvious to any observer.

In any event, he clearly could have won the GS this year.

So would you consider his Wimbledon win this year lucky, since Roddick was "leading that match and let it slip away"?

(of course you wouldn't)

JSummers
11-26-2009, 09:34 PM
And he deserves to. DP is the better player and <b>Fed's era has ended</b>.

Oh, from the same Sureshs who predicted 1 year ago that Fed would not won another slam..

vanity
11-26-2009, 11:14 PM
You *******s crack me up! :lol:

Federer simply got blown off the court by the mighty Potro forehand.

CMM
11-27-2009, 12:23 AM
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/5250/fixer.png

ninman
11-27-2009, 12:33 AM
No, he didn't.

He was trying his best to break DP at 3-3 in 3rd set. And Delpo needed lots of luck to hold serve (he hit a big 2nd serve on a BP which miraculously went in).

Maybe he tanked in the next game. That's the only game when he could have tanked and even that's unlikely.

So, no.

Actually, the match was full of "lucky" points (I remember whole bunch of netcords at critical moments). They couldn't have planned that.

Yep, why can't people just accept he lost, it's a bit frustrating to see him basically throw it away at 4-3 in the third with a horrible service game, but it happens. As a Federer fan though I'm just happy he's in the semi's, of course I would have been happier to see him win it without losing a match, but I'm not going to cry over this.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-27-2009, 12:35 AM
How blind can people be :twisted::twisted:

BreakPoint
11-27-2009, 12:43 AM
Considering Murray did everything in his power to eliminate Fed last year, I don't see why Federer would bother to take the effort to let Murray qualify this year.
Ain't nothing sweeter than payback! :)

namelessone
11-27-2009, 01:01 AM
HOw can people seriously insist that Federer tanked? Federer,like many top playes has had attemps at tanking at smaller events(a masters is small for fed),but this wasn't the case. Am I supposed to believe that Federer knew that DelPo would go through by that 1% margin? When DelPo won he had no idea if he was through or not. And yes,there is something deeply wrong about that and that's why I don't like RR.

If you want to look for federer tanking look at his match with tsonga this year when he decided to let it go after he choked a bit at 5-1 and afterwards just said "**** it". He was tanking with ferrer as well in the last set in cincy but ferrer was too busy tripping over his own feet to finish the job. Or if you want tanking from another player,look at djoker after he got broken early in the second set with toad. His whole body language said "**** this,I'm tired and anyway,I can beat Nadal in 2 days time"

But seriously,tanking is one part of what makes Fed great. He pushes himself to the limit only when serious prizes are up for grabs,like Slams or victories against his rivals. I understand that form can change but look at cincy,where Federer was playing awful tennis with Ferrer and looked like he didn't care(he was the fresh RG-WB winner after all) and as soon as he got to murray and djoker he played some near perfect tennis,a la 2004-2006. Why? Because he actually gave a crap this time,he was actually being challenged whereas with Ferrer he looked bored on-court.

lawrence
11-27-2009, 01:04 AM

hahahahahaha bravo

Defcon
11-27-2009, 01:06 AM
Did you guys not see Fed pull out the calculator when Delpo was facing 2 bp's at 15-40 in the 3rd set? He did some quick maths and that was it. I guess you had to be there, the cameras didn't catch it :)

Throwing away you chances at victory - $1 million

Getting revenge on a rat-faced Scot - Priceless!

matchmaker
11-27-2009, 01:42 AM
I don't think Fed tanked.

He did know what he needed to get through to the next round, so maybe when he reached that level, he might have relaxed just a little bit too much mentally.

But it is obvious he was going for the win even after that, remember the BP's in the third set.

Well done anyway, last year Murray really did everything in his power to get Fed out of the semis, I guess now it is the other way round.

matchmaker
11-27-2009, 01:44 AM

LOL. Great post.

Maybe put the white letters in red and the X in white, so it looks like the Swiss flag.

prosealster
11-27-2009, 04:06 AM
agree....fed did not tank

kOaMaster
11-27-2009, 04:10 AM
federer said on the interview that he asked del potro at the end of the game who's in the semis now and neither of them knew, federer himself wasn't sure too. that's why he did not really "celebrate" his advancing and was disappointed.

del potro himself got the news 25min of his 2nd place after the end of the game...

so far about the whole "fed did it on purpose"-thing.

if there is one guy on the court that goes out there, want's to have fun and enjoy a game, it is federer. he does not care about numbers during a match, he does not care about his opponent, he just plays tennis and clears his mind.

sureshs
11-27-2009, 06:30 AM
federer said on the interview that he asked del potro at the end of the game who's in the semis now and neither of them knew, federer himself wasn't sure too. that's why he did not really "celebrate" his advancing and was disappointed.

del potro himself got the news 25min of his 2nd place after the end of the game...

so far about the whole "fed did it on purpose"-thing.

if there is one guy on the court that goes out there, want's to have fun and enjoy a game, it is federer. he does not care about numbers during a match, he does not care about his opponent, he just plays tennis and clears his mind.

Do you live in Basel?

P_Agony
11-27-2009, 06:35 AM

I don't know if you've noticed, but Fed is still #1 in the world, #1 in the first group and is in the semis.

zagor
11-27-2009, 06:37 AM
I don't know if you've noticed, but Fed is still #1 in the world, #1 in the first group and is in the semis.

All those facts are trivial compared to the fact that Fed won real slam(Cincy)whilse Delpo didn't even show up there so he can't be better than Fed,maybe next year.

kOaMaster
11-27-2009, 07:04 AM
Do you live in Basel?

yes I live in Basel.

AM95
11-27-2009, 08:07 AM

Priceless.
yes would be..

probably was a strategic tank.

rocket
11-27-2009, 02:05 PM
It was a nice exhibition match.