PDA

View Full Version : What a rule! Murray is out in WTF by just 1% to Del Potro!

snowbearr
11-26-2009, 03:06 PM
match sets games win%

1 Federer --- 2 win 1 lost 5/4 44/40 52.4%
2 Del Potro --- 2 win 1 lost 5/4 45/43 51.1%
3 Murray --- 2 win 1 lost 5/4 44/43 50.1%
4 Verdasco --- 3 lost 3/6 43/50 46.2%

---------

I bet Murray will have a hard time sleeping tonight :???:

The funny thing is if Fed won one more GAME, Del potro will be the one out today!!

Don't know what to say, it LOOKS like Fed has done his "math" against Murray..

What can I say! HE IS SCARY GOOD!

Rhino
11-26-2009, 03:09 PM
I love it... funniest thing on the tour in a while. :)

pound cat
11-26-2009, 03:10 PM
Murray Battles To Verdasco Win; Misses SF Spot By One Game
London, England

One for the record books..see atp site for the article

malakas
11-26-2009, 03:18 PM
A rule is a rule.

If Fed had won one more game,there would DP fans whining now.

SempreSami
11-26-2009, 03:19 PM
It's maths :roll:

Blinkism
11-26-2009, 03:20 PM
If Federer actually did the math in his head, he must have done it at 15-40 in the middle of the 3rd set

If he figured it out that fast while being distracted by the crowd and the game, then he is a freaking genius- and an excellent multi-tasker.

scineram
11-26-2009, 03:21 PM
Those breakpoints at 3-3.

snowbearr
11-26-2009, 03:22 PM
If Federer actually did the math in his head, he must have done it at 15-40 in the middle of the 3rd set

If he figured it out that fast while being distracted by the crowd and the game, then he is a freaking genius- and an excellent multi-tasker.

don't get me wrong, he is.

rk_sports
11-26-2009, 03:34 PM
Good talking point for sure eh ;)

It definitely makes sense in some level.. remember both Fed & DelPo don't like Murray.. plus Fed seems to say something to DelPo right after match :wink:

Though we can only speculate until the one who did it (or both) write a book (a la Agassi) sometime ;)

Conquistador
11-26-2009, 04:29 PM
If Federer actually did the math in his head, he must have done it at 15-40 in the middle of the 3rd setIf he figured it out that fast while being distracted by the crowd and the game, then he is a freaking genius- and an excellent multi-tasker.

He's that good.

quest01
11-26-2009, 05:59 PM
Del Potro deserved to advance over Murray because he took out Federer. Anyone who takes out the #1 player in the world deserves to move on.

Shaolin
11-26-2009, 06:04 PM

No, its not. Its MATH not MATHS. Not everyone lives in the UK.

:roll:

Mansewerz
11-26-2009, 06:05 PM
This was one of the funniest incidents in a while, especially considering Murray's twitter!

kishnabe
11-26-2009, 07:09 PM
it was nice to see murray out, a big joy since the Maestro elegantly took Murray out of the tournament.

kevvycore
11-26-2009, 07:36 PM
only one thing to say.
math = *******

quest01
11-26-2009, 07:39 PM
It seems fitting for Murray to be ousted seeing that Del Potro and Federer won at least one slam while Murray won none.

timnz
11-26-2009, 08:13 PM
It is really clear that reading the press reports that no-one was clear as to who had got through until 1/2 hour after the match. (Yes, the organizers should have done their arithmetic earlier but that is another story). Anyway, Federer was asking Del Potro at the net at the end of the match whether or not he got through. Surely you don't believe that Federer was feining ignorance (in other words by being deliberately Deceptive about not knowing)

Hence if Federer didn't know then, he didn't know 1/2 a set earlier when he got broken in the final set.

timnz
11-26-2009, 08:16 PM
Besides...... Del Potro is a much scarier proposition for Federer than Murray. Hence, Federer would prefer to let Murray through. Delpo's power is something that federer has to learn to deal with. (He will, just will take him a little time).

Cantankersore
11-26-2009, 08:25 PM

Not in North America! It isn't like mathematics is a plural.

Cantankersore
11-26-2009, 08:27 PM

He could have figured it out between sets. There weren't many cases to figure out beforehand, he could have had them written down somewhere.

8PAQ
11-26-2009, 09:20 PM
only one thing to say.
math = *******

Classic :)

joeri888
11-26-2009, 09:25 PM

Huh? weird:)

zagor
11-26-2009, 09:34 PM
only one thing to say.
math = *******

Math hates Murray.

grafselesfan
11-26-2009, 09:37 PM
Math hates Murray.

Math has alot of company on TW. :)

zagor
11-26-2009, 09:40 PM
Math has alot of company on TW. :)

Yeah I noticed,I don't mind the guy that much honestly,his behaviour on court could be better but he does play a different game than other top players,he can be interesting to watch.

I found all this situation funny but after reading Murray's comment at twitter I did feel a bit sorry for the guy,probably the only scenario which would stop him from advancing to semis happened,not easy to swallow for him I'm sure.

Xenakis
11-27-2009, 12:21 AM
Fed lost to Delpo, he has the edge over him, Muzza should have converted some of those BPs against Nando to win that match in straights. It was close, but ultimately fair.

batz
11-27-2009, 12:44 AM
I was thinking to myself as Murray served @ 1-5 down in the 3rd on Tuesday night "at least hold and make him serve for it - you never know; it might make a difference".

It's a sore one to take I can tell you.

timnz
11-27-2009, 12:52 AM

Its Maths in New Zealand as well. The tournament is in England where it is called Maths :)

(Ah, nothing like a conversation about something completely off the point. But fun discussing about cultural ways of saying things.......)

Defcon
11-27-2009, 12:53 AM
Considering Murray did everything he could to get Fed out of the round robin last year, he deserves everything that happened to him and more. Its amazing how delusional he is, he thinks he played well against Verdasco!

mawashi
11-27-2009, 01:03 AM
Math hates Murray.

Lots of things hate him too...

I just wanna buy Del Potro a round of drinks for getting rid of Murry... yeah!

mawashi

batz
11-27-2009, 01:09 AM
Considering Murray did everything he could to get Fed out of the round robin last year, he deserves everything that happened to him and more. Its amazing how delusional he is, he thinks he played well against Verdasco!

Yep. How dare he give of his best. That's a low thing to do - he deserves everything coming to him for doing that.

jimbo333
11-27-2009, 03:06 AM
It was Murrays fault he is out and nobody elses. He should have won 2-0 yesterday and then would have been in Semis anyway!

The only thing I don't think was fair, was that Murrays match should have been last yesterday as there was more on that match. But I understand why they put Federer and Del Potro on last as that was the "bigger" match!

Anyway the odd thing is that even though Murray won 2 matches he is out, but Davydenko can get into Semis winning 1 match, if Nadal easily beats Djokovic!

malakas
11-27-2009, 03:16 AM
It was Murrays fault he is out and nobody elses. He should have won 2-0 yesterday and then would have been in Semis anyway!

The only thing I don't think was fair, was that Murrays match should have been last yesterday as there was more on that match. But I understand why they put Federer and Del Potro on last as that was the "bigger" match!

Anyway the odd thing is that even though Murray won 2 matches he is out, but Davydenko can get into Semis winning 1 match, if Nadal easily beats Djokovic!

No they did the right choice.Because if DelPotro had lost then Verdasco would be out already even before starting playing.

Of course the fairest of all should be to have it at the same time in different courts like in football,but after it,this was the best choice.

SempreSami
11-27-2009, 03:17 AM
You're only saying that because he's out, ma-knackers.

R.Federer
11-27-2009, 03:25 AM
http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/5512/federergod.jpg (http://img134.imageshack.us/i/federergod.jpg/)

slice bh compliment
11-27-2009, 03:28 AM
Why all the Murray hate?
Why the conspiracy theories?

The guys are given a copy of the format and rules before the tournament even begins. These rules have been around for decades anyway.

Fair and square.

I wish Murray were in it, though. Nice for the tournament. But he'll be back. He will work extraordinarily hard leading up to the Oz Oipen. Harder than Rog or Juan Martin....or even Rafa.

sh@de
11-27-2009, 03:28 AM
only one thing to say.
math = *******

HAHAHAHAHA qft!!!

ericsson
11-27-2009, 03:32 AM
Why all the Murray hate?
Why the conspiracy theories?

The guys are given a copy of the format and rules before the tournament even begins. These rules have been around for decades anyway.

Fair and square.

I wish Murray were in it, though. Nice for the tournament. But he'll be back. He will work extraordinarily hard leading up to the Oz Oipen. Harder than Rog or Juan Martin....or even Rafa.

Second that! it's a very fair system, infact can it be more fairer then this?
Delpo's got some luck while Andy got no luck in the end...the matches were close so are the results.

jazzyfunkybluesy
11-27-2009, 03:32 AM
Pack your bags whiner.

malakas
11-27-2009, 03:41 AM
You're only saying that because he's out, ma-knackers.

haha are you talking to me?

No actually I had thought about this before the match happened.I don't know if I had posted it also here.
They want to avoid any dead rubber as possible that's why winner plays winner and loser plays loser.If they had scheduled otherwise yesterday,Murray could already be through,and Verdasco out even before the match.

Same reason why today they have put Nadal-Djokovic up first allthough it would seem more commercial match.If Davydenko played first and defeated Soderling in straights,both Nadal and Djokovic would be eliminated even before their match.

slice bh compliment
11-27-2009, 03:43 AM
Second that! it's a very fair system, infact can it be more fairer then this?
Delpo's got some luck while Andy got no luck in the end...the matches were close so are the results.

Yep, I guess, as a Murray fan, if I've got anything to whine about it's that the tournament director gave Andy the day match (usually the homeboy gets the night match, but oh well....British bureaucracy reigns). I feel if he'd gotten the night match, he might have had more control.

But yeah ericsson, totally fair, nothing really to whine about, even if you're Muzzer himself.

You can bet he's kicking himself for a few games here and there against Tabasco and in the 3rd set against Roger.

Well, even w/o Muzzer, I'm looking forward to some more great matches this weekend. Who will it be? Soderling and Djoko?

batz
11-27-2009, 03:56 AM
Yep, I guess, as a Murray fan, if I've got anything to whine about it's that the tournament director gave Andy the day match (usually the homeboy gets the night match, but oh well....British bureaucracy reigns). I feel if he'd gotten the night match, he might have had more control.

But yeah ericsson, totally fair, nothing really to whine about, even if you're Muzzer himself.

You can bet he's kicking himself for a few games here and there against Tabasco and in the 3rd set against Roger.

Well, even w/o Muzzer, I'm looking forward to some more great matches this weekend. Who will it be? Soderling and Djoko?

I've no complaints about the format and I doubt Murray has either - everyone knows beforehand what the format is.

It's stil a sore one to win 2 matches and go out though - especially when you've beaten the guy who made the semis ahead of you.

ericsson
11-27-2009, 04:05 AM

Hmmm i have to say, Soder surprised me, not really the win over Rafa (everyone can see he's not at his best at all) but the win over Djoko and all that with straight forward tennis, hats off!
I wouldnt count Davy out yet, very dangerous player.

I really feel sorry for Nando, that guy pushed everyone to tight 3 setters and his out, you really could see the dissapointment on his face, too bad, great guy and great game though!

fps
11-27-2009, 04:23 AM
hilariously for us who enjoy transatlantic differences of meaning, the telegraph sport's front page story today in england is a full page picture of murray with the tagline WHAT A CHOKER! underneath.

JediMindTrick
11-27-2009, 05:31 AM
The funny thing is if Fed won one more GAME, Del potro will be the one out today!!

Don't know what to say, it LOOKS like Fed has done his "math" against Murray..

What can I say! HE IS SCARY GOOD!

Not only that, but he also seems to have convinced a lot of people that he fought hard. Hey, that's why he's the great one!

jwbarrientos
11-27-2009, 08:04 AM

Hate maths, anyhow happy to see Delpo going to SF.

Chadwixx
11-27-2009, 08:06 AM
Hmmm i have to say, Soder surprised me, not really the win over Rafa (everyone can see he's not at his best at all) but the win over Djoko and all that with straight forward tennis, heads off!
I wouldnt count Davy out yet, very dangerous player.

Djok and nadal arent playing very good. Group b is kind of a joke. I think solderling will lose today when he plays his first in form opponent.

okdude1992
11-27-2009, 08:12 AM
http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/5512/federergod.jpg (http://img134.imageshack.us/i/federergod.jpg/)

awesome picture! were you the one who photoshopped it?

malakas
11-27-2009, 08:14 AM
that's from RF forum.

zasr4325
11-27-2009, 09:18 AM
It is really clear that reading the press reports that no-one was clear as to who had got through until 1/2 hour after the match. (Yes, the organizers should have done their arithmetic earlier but that is another story). Anyway, Federer was asking Del Potro at the net at the end of the match whether or not he got through. Surely you don't believe that Federer was feining ignorance (in other words by being deliberately Deceptive about not knowing)

Hence if Federer didn't know then, he didn't know 1/2 a set earlier when he got broken in the final set.

i was at the fed delpo match yesterday, and there was about twenty minutes between the match finishing and delpo finding out that he was through! mark petchey came down to interview him, but then they didnt know what the totals were for games and sets and whether or not he was through or murray was. it was good though, while they were waiting, delpo had a quick knock up with carlos tevez :)

jimbo333
11-27-2009, 09:23 AM
it was good though, while they were waiting, delpo had a quick knock up with carlos tevez :)

What in front of everyone:shock:

You'd have thought they'd have waited to get back to the changing-room:)

zasr4325
11-27-2009, 09:34 AM
What in front of everyone:shock:

You'd have thought they'd have waited to get back to the changing-room:)

well tevez isnt the biggest, and delpo was really pumped up bout the win, so there was only one outcome:twisted:

edmondsm
11-27-2009, 01:04 PM
I don't like this rule at all. IMO the first tie-breaker should be the h2h between the players, not games won which is a total crapshoot. Murray beat Del Potro in their match, so he should have advanced.

rocket
11-27-2009, 01:07 PM
Murray beat Del Potro in their match, so he should have advanced.

And Del Po beat the guy who beat Murray.

edmondsm
11-27-2009, 01:11 PM
And Del Po beat the guy who beat Murray.

And Del Potro was beaten by Edouard Roger-Vasselin in Tokyo so maybe he Vasselin is actually the world #1. Wins by proxy mean nothing. IMO, h2h would be a better tiebreaker then counting games.

slice bh compliment
11-27-2009, 01:14 PM
Yeah, the head-to-head thing makes the most sense to me personally as a player, but...this is not a singles ladder at the club, LOL. I guess that's why they do not have it in the rules.

I guess either way is not exactly perfect, but they write down what makes the most sense and all 8 guys have got to live by it and play their best each and every game. I think that makes sense.

malakas
11-27-2009, 01:16 PM
H2H works ONLY in a 2way tie.
Not in 3 way tie.

This was a 3 way tie with Fed,Murray and DP all having same numbers of wins.

dantheman
11-27-2009, 06:30 PM
Delpony!!!!!!!!!