PDA

View Full Version : Why not much crowd support for Murray in this YEC ?

nothingfails
11-26-2009, 05:49 PM
I know he's not English but he's still British. I thought that the crowd was not behind him at all. And understandably so. He has this kind of obnoxious bratty behaviour on court, reminding me of McEnroe. I mean, who wants to be friends with this guy ?

malakas
11-26-2009, 05:51 PM
Are you often like that?
Making a question and then answer it by yourself??:confused:

nothingfails
11-26-2009, 06:00 PM
He's British / not so likeable. I just gave my opinion about how I feel about the guy. I'm not British.

hondas2k
11-26-2009, 06:03 PM
cuz he is annoying d-bag

Serendipitous
11-26-2009, 06:09 PM
cuz he is annoying d-bag

This is a known fact.

flyinghippos101
11-26-2009, 06:31 PM
This is a known fact.

+1 :neutral:

Rhino
11-26-2009, 06:44 PM
cuz he is annoying d-bag

Exactly. Britain loved Henman.

kishnabe
11-26-2009, 07:16 PM
Murray is boring, so the support group is very boring too! I guess!

Omega_7000
11-26-2009, 07:39 PM
cuz he is annoying d-bag

+ 1

Cantankersore
11-26-2009, 08:37 PM
To me he seems like just a typical bratty, whiny jock that happens to be really good at tennis. I've met enough of those people in my life, and haven't liked one of them.

The only ways I can see someone being a fan of him is if they like people with bad personalities (there are enough people like this), they like his game and can disregard his personality, or are British people who cheer for everything British. I don't see myself as a member of either group.

OddJack
11-26-2009, 08:57 PM
To me he seems like just a typical bratty, whiny jock that happens to be really good at tennis. I've met enough of those people in my life, and haven't liked one of them.

The only ways I can see someone being a fan of him is if they like people with bad personalities (there are enough people like this), they like his game and can disregard his personality, or are British people who cheer for everything British. I don't see myself as a member of either group.

No, they wouldn't admit it but it's more about nationality. They maybe likable people with bad personality, but Murray is not one of them.

Cantankersore
11-26-2009, 09:03 PM
Dude there are all sorts of people that don't give a hoot about him being British. I know people of all sorts.

Cantankersore
11-26-2009, 09:06 PM
Also, at the topic, he is Scottish and there is still some animosity between the countries. Some English people will never accept a scot as one of their own.

bertrevert
11-26-2009, 09:27 PM
Most Scottish people wouldn't want to be accepted by UK-ers as one of their own!

Cantankersore
11-26-2009, 09:30 PM
Most Scottish people wouldn't want to be accepted by UK-ers as one of their own!

I know, it's kind of like assuming an Aussie would cheer for a kiwi!

jimbo333
11-27-2009, 03:11 AM
2 reasons:-

Firstly having been there most days this week, a large percentage of the crowd are not from the UK!

Secondly, many of the "British" crowd seem to be very posh wealthy type people who don't like Murray for whatever reason (him being Sottish may be one, and having an attitude may be another)!

kOaMaster
11-27-2009, 03:13 AM
he blew his chances to become the new british star in wimbledon I think.
now he is so far just "another player". maybe it changes when he wins a slam, but I don't see it happen right now.

settolove
11-27-2009, 03:23 AM
Murray is very hard to like. The majority of his supporters that I have run across outside tennis forums seem to be blind nationalists - cheering for him because he is a Brit. They don't pay any attention to tennis any other time.
Also it was a weekday - people have work, a lot of the folks inside the court may not have been from the UK.

Welsh Wizard
11-27-2009, 03:47 AM
Being British, the main problem here is that tennis is essentially a middle to upper class game. The majority of these happen to be English and are not really the "true fans" of the sport. I don't mean the English here, just the middle to upper class ones. ;)

These are the same people who loved Henman for being the stereotypical English Gentleman on the court and hated Rusedski because he had a funny accent. The fact that Rusedski was arguably more successful than Henman didn't matter because Rusedski never won Wimbledon - just look at Lennox Lewis as my case in point, another Canadian switching nationality but because he won the world title he was "accepted".

Murray suffers from a similar problem. He's not English so until he wins Wimbledon (probably more so than any other slam to be honest) he will always be that whiny Scottish brat. If he was born in Kent, he would already be the darling of public affection. It's very noticeable that when he wins he's the British number one, but when he loses he's "Andy Murray from Scotland".

I'm not Murray's biggest fan as sometimes he doesn't help himself with his antics - but then sometimes nor do Federer or Nadal (I'll exclude Djoker for obvious reasons!). However, he is by far and away our best player for the last 20 years and should be supported at every opportunity. He always wears his heart on his sleeve and, for the timebeing at least, plays Davis Cup in a division way below his standard. He has guts and does play some sublime tennis.

I was never Henman's biggest fan (and quite a lot of Brits from the principalities weren't) as he reporesented everything I dislike about tennis in the UK, but I would always support him unless playing Rusedski.

Us Brits should be thankful that we at least have someone in the top 100 let alone playing in these type of events as after Murray and his brother (in doubles) it's pretty woeful - well done LTA!

fps
11-27-2009, 04:09 AM
Being British, the main problem here is that tennis is essentially a middle to upper class game. The majority of these happen to be English and are not really the "true fans" of the sport. I don't mean the English here, just the middle to upper class ones. ;)

These are the same people who loved Henman for being the stereotypical English Gentleman on the court and hated Rusedski because he had a funny accent. The fact that Rusedski was arguably more successful than Henman didn't matter because Rusedski never won Wimbledon - just look at Lennox Lewis as my case in point, another Canadian switching nationality but because he won the world title he was "accepted".

Murray suffers from a similar problem. He's not English so until he wins Wimbledon (probably more so than any other slam to be honest) he will always be that whiny Scottish brat. If he was born in Kent, he would already be the darling of public affection. It's very noticeable that when he wins he's the British number one, but when he loses he's "Andy Murray from Scotland".

I'm not Murray's biggest fan as sometimes he doesn't help himself with his antics - but then sometimes nor do Federer or Nadal (I'll exclude Djoker for obvious reasons!). However, he is by far and away our best player for the last 20 years and should be supported at every opportunity. He always wears his heart on his sleeve and, for the timebeing at least, plays Davis Cup in a division way below his standard. He has guts and does play some sublime tennis.

I was never Henman's biggest fan (and quite a lot of Brits from the principalities weren't) as he reporesented everything I dislike about tennis in the UK, but I would always support him unless playing Rusedski.

Us Brits should be thankful that we at least have someone in the top 100 let alone playing in these type of events as after Murray and his brother (in doubles) it's pretty woeful - well done LTA!

I agree with a lot of what you say, but I think you mentioned a key problem only in passing. Murray is a whiny brat. He shouts and moans and swears on court. If he'd been born in Kent and behaved the same way, people still wouldn't approve. This isn't something that would win him over to middle class English people, who like players with more decorum (Federer, Nadal) or bad boys with an entertainment factor (Safin, Tsonga). His behaviour doesn't appeal to the type of people who watch tennis in England, by and large.

batz
11-27-2009, 04:37 AM
I agree with a lot of what you say, but I think you mentioned a key problem only in passing. Murray is a whiny brat. He shouts and moans and swears on court. If he'd been born in Kent and behaved the same way, people still wouldn't approve. This isn't something that would win him over to middle class English people, who like players with more decorum (Federer, Nadal) or bad boys with an entertainment factor (Safin, Tsonga). His behaviour doesn't appeal to the type of people who watch tennis in England, by and large.

If the things that identify a whiny brat are as you state, then Rafa, Novak and Roger have all behaved in the same way. Why the double standard? And please, spare me the 'but people like those guys' line. The behaviour you describe is either acceptable or unacceptable - no matter who does it.

SempreSami
11-27-2009, 04:56 AM
Don't forget Roger "No no no don't tell me to ssh I don't give a ****" Federer.

jimbo333
11-27-2009, 09:28 AM

Yes!

I was at the Murray/Federer match and there were as many people supporting Federer as Murray!

Like I said before most people going to watch tennis in the UK are posh upper middle class and the majority don't like Murray!

I quite like Murray, but just wish he'd go for a few more winners:)

William Bedford
11-27-2009, 09:38 AM
+1 :neutral:

+1 His mouth is bigger than his game....

malakas
11-27-2009, 09:40 AM
Don't forget Roger "No no no don't tell me to ssh I don't give a ****" Federer.

don't forget the ump "Just shut up" he said it to.