PDA

View Full Version : WTF is more like a Grand Grand Slam

snowbearr
11-26-2009, 08:43 PM
1. You won a match in the day and still have to pack your bag go home! (how sad that is!)

2. You sit in front of TV and watching people playing and yet don't know if you can get in the next round, not until you see who won the last game!
(nervous all day, and that's after you won a match! seriously! )

3. Basicly if you want to advance to next round, you have to be mentally tough the whole time, means that there's no such thing as "it's already 0-5, maybe I should just let this set go"

I am just saying..the champion of ATP looks more like a "Super Mental tough" champ compare to GS.

and also I feel bad/sorry for Murray somehow honestly.. it's really like stabbing his heart i guess, not to mention this is London..not to mention Fed and Del potro both won US OPEN

:-?

edmondsm
11-26-2009, 08:48 PM
It would be cool if the ATP just bagged most of the indoor season and made the Masters Cup a two-week, best of 5 event.

MuseFan
11-26-2009, 08:51 PM
It would be cool if the ATP just bagged most of the indoor season and made the Masters Cup a two-week, best of 5 event.

This is the best idea I've heard in a long time.

Agassifan
11-26-2009, 08:55 PM

Great idea. Lets at least scrap the shanghai masters and some other random 500 event.

MasturB
11-27-2009, 01:11 AM

Two weeks with 8 players?

Or you suggesting we add more than 8 players to it.

Then it's not the "Master's Cup" per say, it's just an Open Tourney.

equinox
11-27-2009, 01:49 AM
No one gives a toss after the us open. Just end the season all ready.

Andres
11-27-2009, 03:14 AM
Riiiiiight.

fps
11-27-2009, 04:24 AM

yeah i gotta say i think after the USO they could shorten things. give the players a proper off-season, take out one of the masters, bring the WTF forward a week.

MasturB
11-28-2009, 02:01 AM

No one gives a toss, because if you don't have Tennis Channel there's no way to watch it (indoor season) here in the US, other than internet streams.

If I had tennis channel instead of golf channel, I'd be watching it everyday almost all day when I'm home. I'm not going to pay an extra $5 a month for a sports channel package, especially now that NFL Network is finally free for me on Comcast.

I truly think people would be more interested in tennis a bunch more if it was out there on TV much more other than the Grand Slams, Indian Wells, Miami, and most of the US Open series.

Look at the Poker movement. Because Poker is more and more on TV here in the US, a lot more people have started playing casually and the World Series of Poker on TV gets bigger and bigger each year. You can find it on a bunch of channels other than ESPN, and on random parts of the day.

There's a 4 month break in between the US Open and Australian, and then another 4 month break in between the Australian and French.

The Australian Open has little competition from the other 4 sports during middle/end of January. There's NFL playoff games and superbowl, but that's once a week. There's NBA games but it's right in the middle of the season, weeks before the All-Star break. Same for the NHL season.

The French is up against the 2nd month of the baseball season (which is a down month, because people are burned out from the excitement from Opening Month in April, that May just takes forever. Baseball season doesn't start getting interesting again until Interleague Play starts in June), The NBA Conference Finals, and NHL playoffs.

Wimbledon is pretty much up against only Major League Baseball headed into the All-Star break. I think

US Open gets competition from opening week of the NFL season, and some MLB pennant races.

Tennis doesn't have to worry about going against soccer here, because it's not showed that much.

--

I think if 1000 series events were shown, it'd bring much more interest. I don't think 500 series events would bring much interest since there's usually only a few high ranked seeds in the tourney.

-I think Dubai would get decent ratings, since it's a few weeks off Australia.
-Indian Wells and Miami I wish would get better TV coverage, but some coverage is better than none at all.
-Monte Carlo, Rome, and Madrid I think would get some decent ratings headed into the French. You don't have to show them all, but show at least 1 or 2 of the 3 to get fans excited for the French. I think only hardcore tennis fans knew that Federer beat Nadal at Hamburg in 2007, which made fans excited for the possibility of seeing him dethrone him at Roland Garros. However if you were the casual fan that only follows tennis on TV, you wouldn't have known that until it was brought up on TV at the French. Same goes for Fed beating Rafa at Madrid this year.
-Queens would get ok ratings here, considering US players like Roddick and Blake play there.
-Already have almost all the US Open Series airing in US already.

Indoor season really depends on who is playing and what tournament it is. I don't think they need to show all of them (because there are a bunch of them spread out) but I think they should show Paris at least, heading into the WTF.