PDA

View Full Version : Is Del Potro the new Safin?

Mansewerz
11-27-2009, 06:40 AM
Huge guy, a lot of power off both wings, loves the faster surfaces, sucks on grass, solid serve, decent at net, smooth mover (for a big guy), and pulled off a huge upset at the USO.

But, loses to some lower ranked guys.

snowbearr
11-27-2009, 06:55 AM
we will see...

AM95
11-27-2009, 07:00 AM
would be upsetting if thats the case....but you could be right

malakas
11-27-2009, 07:05 AM
There's only one Safin!!

flying24
11-27-2009, 07:18 AM
I think he has the potential to be a greater player than Safin. That isnt to say he has more potential than Safin had, but Safin never came close to fulfilling his immense potential of course, despite a great career.

G-12
11-27-2009, 07:20 AM
There's only one Safin!!

Agreed. No one will ever replace Safin's style of play in the world of tennis. The energy and emotion to brought to the court was that like no other. Del Po does have an interesting and very favorable style of play.

greg280
11-27-2009, 07:21 AM
good analogy.....

MuseFan
11-27-2009, 07:36 AM
* Del Potro is fugly
* He's only into tennis
* not a headcase

bad comparison.

Anaconda
11-27-2009, 07:38 AM
Safin moves much better than JMDP. Safin also won 2 slams and had the talent to win more than 5, so it's tough to say.

LiveForever
11-27-2009, 07:43 AM
Del Potro looks much more committed to the sport than Safin ever was. Time will tell.

skyzoo
11-27-2009, 07:45 AM
Del Potro doesn't break enough racquets during matches or during practice

jwbarrientos
11-27-2009, 07:50 AM
Is Del Potro the new Safin?

Nop, is the first Delpo

Tsonga is close to Safin, good tallent, birds in his heads.

Anaconda
11-27-2009, 07:58 AM

Nop, is the first Delpo

Tsonga is close to Safin, good tallent, birds in his heads.

Tsonga isn't like Safin at all. The reason Safin had Grand Slam success is because he actually had a game plan. Tsonga is just a mindless ballbasher who will never win a slam due to being inconsistent.

OddJack
11-27-2009, 07:58 AM
Yes, achievement wise he is the next safin. 3 or less Grands, short life career in top 10.

Blinkism
11-27-2009, 08:12 AM
They're both good on clay.

People forget Safin, in his prime, was a contender for Masters titles on clay and a one of the favorites for the FO.

So is Delpo.

Tsonga#1fan
11-27-2009, 08:28 AM
Huge guy, a lot of power off both wings, loves the faster surfaces, sucks on grass, solid serve, decent at net, smooth mover (for a big guy), and pulled off a huge upset at the USO.

Safin isn't butt-ugly though.

skip1969
11-27-2009, 08:32 AM
why does anybody have to be the new safin?

Mansewerz
11-27-2009, 08:33 AM
Because Safin was one of my favorites!!!!! None can replace him, but at least there can be a substitute!

skip1969
11-27-2009, 08:36 AM
you can never replace an original. and why would you want to?

Blinkism
11-27-2009, 08:36 AM
They both suck on grass, sure, but I'm going to predict that Delpo will achieve more than Safin did on grass by the time his career is done.

I think Delpo will, at the least, pick up a minor grass title.

I wouldn't be shocked if he could win Wimbledon- if he keeps improving.

Nadal didn't seem a shoe-in for Wimbledon at 20 either. Then, the next year, he made the final.

fps
11-27-2009, 08:39 AM

Nop, is the first Delpo

yeah safin moved great, as does del potro despite being even taller, but del potro has it all together in the head, and that forehand< WOW.

however, Safin had the whole game at his feet. the differences in personality are obvious for all to see, as well as the ways they play the game. safin was rock solid at his best from all parts of the court, del potro has clubbing weapons but he's not too similar in how he plays IMO.

malakas
11-27-2009, 08:40 AM
why does anybody have to be the new safin?

Because Safin is out for 2 weeks now and we already feel deprived. :(

skip1969
11-27-2009, 08:42 AM
i guess my point is, the things that made safin so unique (and irritating, and interesting, and frustrating, and cool . . . ) were specific to him. typical 'when they made him, they broke the mold' type of thing.

his shot-making, his temper, his unpredictability, his off-the-court distractions, his character, personality, charm, angst, his brain farts . . . so many other things . . . made him a tennis player all his own. if you put that recipe next to a recipe for delpotro . . . there is very little in common. apples to oranges.

ok, they both have two-handers. ;)

random guy
11-27-2009, 08:49 AM

Maybe, in some aspect of their games. But, regarding "lower ranked guys" I don't agree. Prior to the USO one of Delpo's strengths was the fact that he always defeated the guys he's supposed to defeat (Querrey, Cilic and the like). His problem was that he didn't have anything against the top guys. Obviously, that's changing fast.

Mansewerz
11-27-2009, 08:54 AM
you can never replace an original. and why would you want to?

Meh good point, just need someone's huge game to remind me of the great Safin haha

LeeD
11-27-2009, 08:56 AM
Nobody matches Safin for PARTYING! In the Riveria!

Bolivian Ace
11-27-2009, 09:13 AM
Delpo seems to be a very calm guy, that might help him in the long run, unlike Safin.

Ocean Drive
11-27-2009, 01:43 PM
They both suck on grass, sure, but I'm going to predict that Delpo will achieve more than Safin did on grass by the time his career is done.

I think Delpo will, at the least, pick up a minor grass title.

I wouldn't be shocked if he could win Wimbledon- if he keeps improving.

Nadal didn't seem a shoe-in for Wimbledon at 20 either. Then, the next year, he made the final.

Marat wasn't that bad on grass, I don't think reaching the quarters and a semi final at wimbledon is "sucking". He's also made the final of Halle. He could play.

The grass is basically a neautral surface these days, it wasn't when Safin was peak so Del Potro has a chance.

Seany
11-27-2009, 02:55 PM
No because Delpo is just taking advanyage of pretty much everyone in the top 10 being off their game right now, he's damn lucky....if he had been playing like this a couple of years back he wouldn't win anything.....

Safin on the other hand, had the ability to take out the very best, when they were playing at their very best.

I'm not saying delpo doesn't have the ability, but he has yet to convince me, I want to see him a beat an on-fire rafa or federer.

WhiskeyEE
11-27-2009, 02:59 PM

Kobble
11-27-2009, 05:39 PM
Looking back, Safin was closer to the new Goran than Del Poto is to the new Safin. All three are different, enjoy them for who they are.

kishnabe
11-27-2009, 05:47 PM
Del Potro is definetly is not a Headcase and isn't in contention to be the same in the looks department. But for sure he has bludegoning strokes like Marat. Hopefully will win another slam to prove himself as the next star.

Maybe not as talented as Marat Safin but defintely could win a more slams than Marat. At least 3 in total.